Where do you all fill up at?

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I really didn't give much thought to where to fill up since 10% ethonal is standard.

But which stations have the best gas for running clean, and get the most milage?

In WV we have a chain called go-mart. There's a lot of em, convienantly located where I normally travel. When I filled up at go mart, I average 11-12.2mpg.

I decided to switch to exxon as a experiment. After about 3 tanks of exxon to clear everything out, I am averaging 12.5-13.3mpg (3 tanks worth) I'm guessing it's fresher gas, octane hasn't left it probably like the discount gas that's been setting around for a while?

I think exxon is one of the better fuels? Shell being the best?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Where do you all fill up at?

Post by killian96ss »

I use Shell, 76, & Chevron. I prefer Shell & 76, but I will use Chevron if the other 2 aren't close by. Gas mileage is nearly the same between all 3. I don't use anything else unless it's an emergency. Cheap low quality gas is everywhere. I wish they still made 93 octane, because that stuff made my engines purr. I can get 96 octane @ Infineon, but it is $7 a gallon there!

Steve
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

11-12.2mpg?? Ouch!

I usually get about 260 miles per tank, which equals 14.8mpg. Sometimes I can squeeze out 270-280 miles if I'm feeling daring LOL. I fill up almost exclusively at BP. I got better than average gas mileage when I used to get BP's premium fuel. Obviously, it's now not even worth the extra mileage considering how expensive gas just got.
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Well my driving takes place 80% within 5 miles. Just long enough to get it warmed up then stop. On a average week I'd say less then 10 interstate miles. All city.

Stock, I got 15 city 19 highway. That was 100% gas. Once I did the MML and the week I added 33s, gas turned to 10% ethanol.

On my beach trip last year, I got 16.5mpg highway in WV once out of the state I got close to 18mph highway.

Ethanol really hurt my milage. But lately apparently because of switching fuels Im averaging closer to 13mpg (mostly city) which is way better then 11.5mpg.

I don't like to run much past half tank (100-130 miles). I do that keep the fuel pump cool.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I am filling where I can get ethanol free fuel when at all possible. I downloaded the POI file and added them to my navigation system. http://pure-gas.org/

I avoid Chevron stations for the Techron additive. Bad stuff for our fuel pumps, senders and the older poppet injectors. I never did hear the results of the case study and law suit brought against them by GM. It seems to disappeared about as fast as the Dexcool mess.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

That's a great site Brule. There's only 4 listed in the state of WV, one is only like 3 miles away! But, they arent a normal gas station.... So I'm not sure if I can actually fill up there.... I think they deal in bulk/fleet business fueling... I'll have to give em a call.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have a spot just across the border in Idaho. It is a customer card lock. Credit and debit cards work in it too :) I have been getting two to three miles per gallon better mileage on ethanol free. Their price has been as good or even cheaper than the pumps here in Oregon. That makes it worth my time to drive a few miles for the fill.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I have noticed an increase lately, about 2mpg, as the switch was made from winter blend fuels back to summer blends. Why such a change in mileage for seasonal fuels?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page