Used 2002 Lexus ES 300

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Used 2002 Lexus ES 300

Post by fallvitals »

My girlfriend finally just got a "new" car since her accident (deputy sherriff hit her then rammed her into another vehicle on the interstate in November. Messed her up, she's getting better but still a long ways to go, lost her 08 Cobalt in the accident, job shortly after due to leaving to go to physical therapy because of. It was 100% the deputy sherriffs fault.).

Anyways, she bought a 2002 Lexus ES 3000 from her uncle. It has 160000k miles. She got it for 7500, books for nearly 10k. Her uncle only owned it for a year, so there's no record of maintenance of course. It seems to be a good car. Only having one issue so far. Occasionally when starting the car, it won't start. It'll make all the noises like everything is gonna, but I'm not sure if the starter even is working when it doesn't start. (hard to tell it's very quiet). But you try it again and no problem. I'm not sure what to check out there?

Were talking about taking it to the beach in June rather then my crew (it'll cost over $100 more I gas to take it). But I'm uncertain on taking a car to the beach that sometimes acts up starting, has 160000k miles, and unknown maintenance. Although my crew could just as easily take a crap at 70k miles.

Basically what all should I start checking out on this car to make sure it will be reliable in general?
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Used 2002 Lexus ES 300

Post by nebby58 »

"It says the install time is only a half an hour"-me
"Better add three more on top of that"-family
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Used 2002 Lexus ES 300

Post by fallvitals »

Eh, I know I searched it before and it was like 9600... Oh well... Maybe the milage mattered, I searched 120k miles mistakingly. Oh well. That didn't have much to do with the real question at hand.

Edit, ya, at 120k miles it's a bit more then at 160k miles. Any ways any info on what to check out on this thing?
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Sorry if I am not much of a help but you could always check these things: http://www.ehow.com/how_2125_inspect-used-car.html I am sure someone more experienced will give you a real answer.
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Could it be a check valve in the fuel system? Looses pressure after sitting for a while, so it takes more than one try for it to get enough fuel to fire......... just a thought.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Since Lexus is made by Toyota perhaps you could find a Toyota mechanic in your circle of friends? I don't know if anybody here on the site will be able to offer much more than general help.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

i might have to cehck there. I was just looking for ideas, or what to check on a car in general to make sure itll be trouble free. Apperantly the girlfriend doesn't plan to have it long, till her settlement any ways, then something new, or newer.