s-10, to Brazilian s-10, to diesel engines, to foriegn vs...

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

s-10, to Brazilian s-10, to diesel engines, to foriegn vs...

Post by nebby58 »

I had to ask this question. I know it's a longshot, but is there any chance of an s-10 comeback? It seems like to me that they were very popular vehicals. There are many in my town. I know they did better than the Colorado. It seems like all car names now have to have something to do with nature. I know they are still selling them in Brazil, but those things look like Nissans. I would keep buying if they keep selling. Also, if they are discontinuing the Colorado, what are they going to replace it with? :?:
"It says the install time is only a half an hour"-me
"Better add three more on top of that"-family
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: A s-10 comeback?

Post by nebby58 »

I saw a website that gave this: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/06/co ... he-us.html That would be horrible!
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I've seen some ugly "trucks" but that one is worse than ugly!!!!!!!!!!
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

...I don't think that really qualifies as a truck.

The "S" series is still very popular in western NC, a hot commodity on the "Previously Owned" lots. I have an 03 and I get a letter in the mail about every other month for the dealer wanting to buy it back.
[size=75]03 ZR5 Crew Cab[/size]
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

that picture isnt a truck ha i would be ashamed to drive anything that looked like that
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

I would disown chevy if they produced something like that in America. If you haven't seen the Brazilian s10, here is a link. The scary part is that they want it in America. http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f19/ ... ere-30087/
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

nebby58 wrote:...The scary part is that they want it in America. http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f19/ ... ere-30087/
Add me to that "scary" list. The twin turbo diesel option would be amazing!
We have several members from other countries that have some pretty awesome s-series trucks.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

The engine, yes, that thing would fly. I don't like the look of it. Wouldn't mind dropping the diesel in mine! If they redesigned the body, it would be cool.
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

+1 :thumb: on a twin turbo diesel in a s-10 i would buy one in a heart beat
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Did anyone else read the comment on the thread on the link from griswold44? That brought me down a little...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The Hombre / S-series has better cooling with the open front design, No more crawling over the grill as it is part of the hood. Fogs are down where they will do some good. The Sonoma / Envoy headlamps that have been so popular. Sure seems like they were on the "popularity poll" train.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

I was never a fan of the s series grill until I installed by billet grille, but thats jmo. I always loved the headlights on them though. Even if they are not the best for performance, they stand out on the truck for me. I always thought that that was what seperated the s10 from the sonoma, but that is jmo.
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Here is another thing to consider, I didn't think about this before. Would the twin turbo deisel meet US safety regulations?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

nebby58 wrote:...I didn't think about this before. Would the twin turbo deisel meet US safety regulations?
Safety, yes. Emissions, No.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

HenryJ wrote:
nebby58 wrote:...I didn't think about this before. Would the twin turbo deisel meet US safety regulations?
Safety, yes. Emissions, No.
Is there any chance the s10 will be brought here?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Not likely with the current administrations views. It would take drastic changes to open their eyes to the wisdom of the greater fuel mileage being greener than visible emissions.
Look to Holden GM for what is really possible. German diesels are quite advanced too. We will continue to be decades behind the rest of the world.
I am not saying that a diesel is THE answer, just that we could have so many more efficient models from which to choose.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Here is a decent video on the brazilian s10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ8UOrWi2ks it looks alright, but the interior is a little basic, but that could be just the trim. I think most american car makers are looking for a little more $$$ because they know that they have the american market. Americans are a little hesitant to buy foriegn (usually), so the foriegn companies have to prove themselves. That is why the main arguement in buying a toyota is quality. Your absolutely right, the gov. has to stick their noses in everything. National debt, wasteful spending, and government restrictions. I'm gonna stop cuz I'm getting off topic.
Last edited by nebby58 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

nebby58 wrote:... Americans are a little hesitant to buy foriegn (usually), so the foriegn companies have to prove themselves. That is why the main arguement in buying a toyota is quality.
Actually the opposite is true. Japan and their dependable long mileage vehicles forced the US automakers to step up. You are too young to remember that we used to have to rebuild an engine every 120k miles. Now 200k is not uncommon. You can thank Toyota for that.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I gotta agree with Brule on that one. I never realized how durable Toyota motors were till I worked at a Toyota forklift dealer. Those little propane fired four poppers were tough as h*ll! Racking up thousands of hours with no problems. Their trannys seemed to hold up quite respectably too. Made me alter my opinions on them quite a bit.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

HenryJ wrote:
nebby58 wrote:... Americans are a little hesitant to buy foriegn (usually), so the foriegn companies have to prove themselves. That is why the main arguement in buying a toyota is quality.
Actually the opposite is true. Japan and their dependable long mileage vehicles forced the US automakers to step up. You are too young to remember that we used to have to rebuild an engine every 120k miles. Now 200k is not uncommon. You can thank Toyota for that.

How long ago? :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

nebby58 wrote:How long ago?
It started in the late sixties when Japan started selling trucks here. By the seventies they were being accepted as a serious vehicle. In the eighties they started their domination and the US auto manufacturers started to realize that they would have to build a longer lasting vehicle or be left in the dust.
I would say the mid seventies was about the time a Toyota engine would go 250k miles before REALLY needing a rebuild. A mid seventies Chevrolet would be ready for its second rebuild.
It took probably another two decades for them to catch up and convince the public that a domestic could go 200k miles.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

HenryJ wrote:
nebby58 wrote:How long ago?
It started in the late sixties when Japan started selling trucks here. By the seventies they were being accepted as a serious vehicle. In the eighties they started their domination and the US auto manufacturers started to realize that they would have to build a longer lasting vehicle or be left in the dust.
I would say the mid seventies was about the time a Toyota engine would go 250k miles before REALLY needing a rebuild. A mid seventies Chevrolet would be ready for its second rebuild.
It took probably another two decades for them to catch up and convince the public that a domestic could go 200k miles.
Yep, thats before my time. But what about ride comfortability? That is the main complaint I hear, from toyota anyway. I have heard they can be very stiff when they hit a bump.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

nebby58 wrote:...But what about ride comfortability? That is the main complaint I hear, from toyota anyway. I have heard they can be very stiff when they hit a bump.
Take a ride in a late seventies to early eighties domestic truck. There is a reason they call them lumber wagons.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

HenryJ wrote:
nebby58 wrote:...But what about ride comfortability? That is the main complaint I hear, from toyota anyway. I have heard they can be very stiff when they hit a bump.
Take a ride in a late seventies to early eighties domestic truck. There is a reason they call them lumber wagons.
If I can find one...
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Wanna buy a 81 Dodge Powerwagon D150 4x4? I've still got one and yeah it does ride like a lumberwagon! One of my projects I never seem to make/take time to finish.
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

roadrunner wrote:Wanna buy a 81 Dodge Powerwagon D150 4x4? I've still got one and yeah it does ride like a lumberwagon! One of my projects I never seem to make/take time to finish.
Sure! Give me $100 and I'll tow it away! I try not to buy cars that are older than me. :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

nebby58 wrote:...I try not to buy cars that are older than me.
There is a bad habit you need to break!
Old Iron rules...

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Now it all makes sence! I have been wondering since I joined this forum why your picture was a different car when it is a s10 forum. Cool ride! I'm guessing Studebaker? That might be way off. Lets see, I gotta car, you gotta car. Straight up trade? :lol: There is a big difference between buying junk and buying classic.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

nebby58 wrote:...Cool ride! I'm guessing Studebaker?
Not quite. It is a HenryJ
There is a big difference between buying junk and buying classic.
That is a fine line as one mans junk is another mans treasure.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

HenryJ wrote:
nebby58 wrote:...Cool ride! I'm guessing Studebaker?
Not quite. It is a HenryJ
There is a big difference between buying junk and buying classic.
That is a fine line as one mans junk is another mans treasure.
I always thought that was your name. My friend's '78 ford is junk. THAT ^ is classic!
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

nebby58 wrote:
roadrunner wrote:Wanna buy a 81 Dodge Powerwagon D150 4x4? I've still got one and yeah it does ride like a lumberwagon! One of my projects I never seem to make/take time to finish.
Sure! Give me $100 and I'll tow it away! I try not to buy cars that are older than me. :lol:
Not likely as it's currently worth around 400 as scrap iron! As for the older than you that means you're eliminating all the true "muscle cars" as well. :nono: They had class and style as well as true performance. Only reason I don't get rid of it now is the fact I have more than 500 in the heads alone not to mention the rest of it's goodies and it being a non-california emissions factory 4bbl 318. 8) Coincidentally it's not far from you in NE Nebraska on a friends farm.
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

I had a 78 & a 84 K1500 long bed pickup. The 74 rode a little rough, but not enough to complain about. The 84 had a good ride before I put overloads on it to carry a slide in camper. All things considered, they rode as well if not better than a full size car of the same size when you include handeling too.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

roadrunner wrote:
nebby58 wrote:
Not likely as it's currently worth around 400 as scrap iron! As for the older than you that means you're eliminating all the true "muscle cars" as well. :nono: They had class and style as well as true performance. Only reason I don't get rid of it now is the fact I have more than 500 in the heads alone not to mention the rest of it's goodies and it being a non-california emissions factory 4bbl 318. 8) Coincidentally it's not far from you in NE Nebraska on a friends farm.
I try not to go into Nebraska when I don't have to. Especially since Nebraska joined the Big Ten. Cross the boarder with an Iowa T shirt on, and you got a problem. I'll cross for a mustang if you have one on your hands! :)
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

nebby58 wrote:
I try not to go into Nebraska when I don't have to. Especially since Nebraska joined the Big Ten. Cross the boarder with an Iowa T shirt on, and you got a problem. I'll cross for a mustang if you have one on your hands! :)
Awwwww, now that ain't nice. I'm a husker fan and I don't mind you wearing an Iowa t-shirt. I've had lots of fun over the years teasing the Mrs about such things since she was born in Iowa. :lol: If I had a mustang it'd be expensive for anybody wanting to buy it provided it was for sale at all! :) 8)
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

roadrunner wrote:
nebby58 wrote:
Awwwww, now that ain't nice. I'm a husker fan and I don't mind you wearing an Iowa t-shirt. I've had lots of fun over the years teasing the Mrs about such things since she was born in Iowa. :lol: If I had a mustang it'd be expensive for anybody wanting to buy it provided it was for sale at all! :) 8)
I'm telling you man, I'm not sure if you heard, but after the Iowa State, Nebraska game, a group of ISU fans ganged up on a Nebraska fan pretty bad. It was a big deal here. I'm not taking my chances :lol: Say one thing wrong and there could be a :punch: :roflmao:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

nebby58 wrote:
roadrunner wrote:
nebby58 wrote:
I'm telling you man, I'm not sure if you heard, but after the Iowa State, Nebraska game, a group of ISU fans ganged up on a Nebraska fan pretty bad. It was a big deal here. I'm not taking my chances :lol: Say one thing wrong and there could be a :punch: :roflmao:
Dude! Yes I heard about it clear out here in the middle of nowhere. We have them fancy radios and such. Don't see where you'd be afraid to wear the Iowa shirt in Nebraska because as you mentioned above it was the ISU fans who got unruly not the Nebraska fans. This has been a problem for years between ISU and NE. For the most part when playing at ISU. Husker fans are (even by announcers comments) some of the best behaved and most courteous fans in the NCAA. I wouldn't fear any revenge scenarios in this case but if the situation were reversed and it was an ISU fan that got the beating I certainly might. Years ago I realized the situation at ISU stadium and even in Lincoln when they visited and made up my mind that was one game I would always skip regardless where played. Just don't need any of that kind of interaction with those who think with their fists and not their heads. I learned a long time ago: you can beat stupid to death and it'll never get any smarter. 8)
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

You'll get a kick outa this! Just make sure to spit your chew out. (Kidding) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNZqgA4EB1I
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

UmHm. Probably an Iowegian straining his mental abilities to come UP to that level! I think it will be highly interesting to see how the match-ups turn out in the big 10 now. It's always been my impression if you were not from the pac 10, big 10, or the southeast conference in the eyes of those who are (and a good many sports writers) you just didn't know how to play football at all. That kinda fell flat last fall with the teams that ended up playing in bowl games and top pick match-ups. Personally I don't take it all that seriously. At the end of the day it is just a GAME. I have Husker pride but there are just too many more important things to worry about than football.
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

N stands for Knowledge! I know what your saying, but when you have season tickets to Kennick Stadium (the best in the country) it is hard not to get into the games. It's gonna be a tough conference, but it will be fun to see what happens.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

If you want to think so. Enjoy your tickets and have fun and be courteous to all while there. There's nothing quite as classy as well behaved fans. I'll just enjoy the games from the best seat in the stadium anywhere. My easy chair with DVR with pause and super slow motion as well as all the best camera angles in the place. Not to mention a well stocked fridge nearby! I think we've hijacked this thread pretty badly so we better get back or allow it to get back to it's roots.
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Yep! This thread went from s-10, to Brazilian s-10, to diesel engines, to foriegn vs. domestic, to buying a '81 truck, to an Iowan's hatred toward Nebraska fans, to the ISU fans beating up a Nebraska fan, to Kinnick stadium.
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: s-10, to Brazilian s-10, to diesel engines, to foriegn v

Post by nebby58 »

Ha!