Scooter Repair

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Scooter Repair

Post by green02crew »

I was volunteered to fix the wife's cousin's scooter. It's 49cc and here's the issue:
Starts up, runs for a couple seconds, then dies out and dumps fuel out the overflow. When left to sit for a minute, it will then start back up and do the same thing all over again. I haven't had much of a chance to look at it as my work schedule doesn't allow it currently. Any initial thoughts? It is carbureted and I'm leaning towards a pressure issue such as a plugged vent on the tank?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Scooter Repair

Post by HenryJ »

Float level. Clean the float bowl and jets. Make sure the needle valve is working properly and the float not stuck or bad (punctured/flooded)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well I've never torn into one before so this will be a new one for me. Too bad its already needing repair, he just got it last week. Straight from China.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I had a similar problem with a china generator. I found some little bits of plastic in the float bowl. Cleaned it out and it has been perfect ever since.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Does the carb have a mixture screw/s for adjusting the air/fuel ratio? Usually there are 2, one for idle and one for high rpm. I used to be a small engine mechanic when I was a teenager and most of the problems like you described are almost always carb related. If it is tuned properly and still doesn't run, then look for obstructions in the carb passages. Did this thing come with an owners manual?

Steve
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

There was an owners manual but not of much help. I found the idle screw on the carb. A friend and I took the carb out and check the floats and looked over all the internals. Everything was in operable shape. We put it back together, still dumped out the overflow???? We lifted the overflow hose up above the carb. Fired right up and ran, no fuel leaking. HUH? I just hung the hose above the carbs and its on the road again. What's going on with that?? Ran fine for the first 325 miles, all done in one week! Then this issue with such an easy fix, am I missing something?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Either the needle is leaking or you need to lower the float level.

- ThunderII KE7CSK