What to do with old wheels and tires

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

What to do with old wheels and tires

Post by riceburnr2005 »

Anyone have any ideas what i should do with my old wheels and tires? I really dont have any room for them. I maybe i should sell them?
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: What to do with old wheels and tires

Post by HenryJ »

Probably a good idea, unless they might work for a set of snow tires?. What are they?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by riceburnr2005 »

They are just tge factory rims with goodyear wranlers
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

riceburnr2005 wrote:They are just tge factory rims...
Which ones. There were several different wheels offered.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

riceburnr2005 wrote:Anyone have any ideas what i should do with my old wheels and tires? I really dont have any room for them. I maybe i should sell them?
Hmm... I can't really tell from this post if this applies but, I was in a similar predicament for a very short while.

Not long after I switched to after market steel wheels, I learned that my state inspection (every 2 years) requires that the width of tires be completely covered by fenders. My new wheels have a little less backspace than stock and stick out about 3/4" beyond the fenders in the front. So, I've got an extra set of wheels in my garage that I use for about an hour every two years. :roll:

Last time I went through, April of this year, I tried using my full size spare and the spare from my wife's blazer. It was then I found out that they also require wheels/tires on same axle be the same size. My CC spare is a 235/70/R15 and the Blazer spare is a 235/75/R15, which equals "Rejected". Had to run home switch wheels and go back for re-inspection.

So, the moral of this story... Make sure your state doesn't require motor vehicle inspections on a regular basis and if it does, be sure your modifications meet their requirements before you abandon your original factory equipment. Even if you aren't required to have official inspections, you might want to check state and local laws for compliance. Those OEM wheels that seem relatively valueless to you now might cost quite a bit to replace later.

Edit: If you're sure you will never need them again, you could put a few bucks in your pocket by selling your OEM rims/tires locally assuming they're the more common N90 wheels. If you happen to have a set of the more sought after "ZR5 - 15X7 cast aluminum, five-spoke wheels with spectra gray accents" wheels in good condition, you might just be sitting on a gold mine ;)

Edit #2: Then again if your new rims are the same size in diameter, width, backspace, etc. as the OEM ones, you can ignore my post all together.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by riceburnr2005 »

Thanks for the advice i will be sure to check the local laws. they are the common N90 wheels.
U.S. Marines