going to look at/buy an '01 CC

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Colab76

going to look at/buy an '01 CC

Post by Colab76 »

I didn't see one, so I tried to find an "off-topic" type area to post in. I'm pretty familiar with these types of boards and, seeing that I'm going to look at/buy an '01 CC tomorrow, I figured I'd sign up here. I'm sure I'll find this place to be a valuable resource and hopefully I don't piss anyone off with too many no0b-ish ?'s...

Any specific things to look for when crawling under, over, and around this truck tomorrow? Also, is the gas mileage really as bad as I've read in places? Any and all advice will be appreciated...
TIA,
Luke
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Intro thread?

Post by HenryJ »

Lots to look over on a 2001. I recently traded mine and I can tell you exactly what to look for on it.

2001 still had the problematic intake gaskets that were not compatible with the Dexcool. Look around the intake for gasket leaks. Make sure the Dex, if it still has it, is clean full and clear. Check the radiator tanks for cracks and leaks.

Look for oil leaks around the front and back of the intake draining down the starter. Look for oil leaks from the front and rear crankshaft seals.

Make sure the HVAC works in all positions. A failed T-case switch can draw fluid into the vacuum system destroying the HVAC controls.

Watch the rotors for uneven wear. Caliper pins are notorious for seizing. A rear axle full of water is not uncommon if the axle vent line has not been relocated.

Jounce it around. Tire wear and front end noise could be bad ball joints. Slack in the steering could indicate worn idler and pitman arms. Make sure it does engage into 4x4. Corroded cables and actuator problems have been known to happen.

I am sure you will find plenty more around here to keep you busy. Don't pay too much. A 2001 is probably only worth $6000 at best now.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Colab76

Intro thread?

Post by Colab76 »

That's exactly the type of info I was looking for, thank you!

If you were to ask me the same question about a particular VW, you'd get the same type of reply! ;0)

My current daily:

Now that she's sitting how I want her, I don't want to run her in the winter... And I need a truck with room for a couple of carseats. I've already negotiated the price to 5k, without seeing it in person- just a SH!load of pics and it looks real clean. 128k on it...
I really do appreciate the model specific tips... I can't afford a $5k mistake, and I don't want a loan on anything...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Quite a bit of back lighting, but looks pretty "clean". Porsche alloys? 8)

Back to the truck...The 4.3L engine is a tough proven engine. The 4L60E transmission, treated lightly or with a few additions can be very good.
They are not a gas mileage getter. Plan on 14-15mpg in the city and as high as 18 mpg on the highway. You will not be disappointed with the power or ride. Interior noise levels are good. Your size may play a part in the comfort. Smaller individuals have added blocks to raise the seat. I found the wheel to be off center of the seat a little. That took some getting used to.

The cloth seats are prone to chewing from the internal velcro. Don't be surprised to see little patches missing. They are not burns. The velcro inside has pulled the tuft from the seat cover. If it bothers you there are replacement options.

The G80 rear is desirable, as is the lower gear ratio that comes with the optional offroad package. All that really gets you is that and oversized 235/75-15 tires. There is a good thread on deciphering the RPO codes. A picture of the glove box tag will tell you everything it was optioned with. You might request that from the seller?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Colab76

Intro thread?

Post by Colab76 »

Night time car wash photos are teh suck, but they're pretty much all I have on the iPhail...

The milage seems similar to a 1500, no? I feel like with a little bit of BL, some decent sneakers, and a little time spent building some bumpers I could take the thing wherever I wanted to. :0) Would you be kind enough to link the thread with the secret decoder ring for the glovebox tag? Thanks again for the 411...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The decoder is a sticky in the Stock forum Deciphering the glovebox RPO codes

The truck does a great job right out of the box. You will smile and pull fullsize out of the ditch with ease. A few tweaks like the MML and they are outstanding.

You are right. The mileage is very close. I think even with a few mods you will be a mile or two per gallon better. If things smile on you you might see 20mpg and the 1500 can't touch that.

I am a small truck guy learning how to maneuver a fullsize on the trail/road. Smaller is better. Fullsize does have the advantage of room and a little more power for pulling a family.

I miss my S-series from time to time. That is fading though. I have resolved myself to paying a little more for fuel to have the luxury of more room and power. There have been a few go fullsize from the S-series. Most needed towing power or had a growing family. If those are on the calendar, you might look to the fullsize. If you can live with the weak mileage, I think the s-series are a very good value. They can be tweaked into a very capable all around truck.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Colab76

Intro thread?

Post by Colab76 »

I appreciate the insight... What we really need is a midsize, crew cab, with a TDi diesel that we can boost the SH!t out of AND grow/make our own fuel in the back yard!!! What a perfect world that would be...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That perfect world does exist. There are S-10 Crew Cab with a factory twin turbo diesel. Unfortunately you will have to relocate to South America to buy and drive one. Holden Chevrolet has some awesome vehicles available too. Moving to Aussie Land is another option. You can still buy a big block El Camino down there.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Colab76

Intro thread?

Post by Colab76 »

Well, the truck was a pile... A steamy pile. After a bit of thinking I decided to go FS, and picked up a '00 extra cab LS Z71, 5.3L that needs a few things... Had the exhaust f/the cat back replaced today, ordered some door handles and rocker panels yesterday... Gotta find a deal on some rubber soon. A little time out in the garage and she'll be all set. Grand total so far $2,643.83...

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Congrats. Check out http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index.php for some ideas. If you upgrade to 17" wheels the GM900 brakes are a must have.
Enjoy.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Colab76

Intro thread?

Post by Colab76 »

Will do, thanks for the hospitality during my short stay. Take care...