Newbie with purchase question on 03 S-10 CC ZR5

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

PAbowhunter

Newbie with purchase question on 03 S-10 CC ZR5

Post by PAbowhunter »

Hi Guys,

I just registered as I plan on going to look at this truck tonight, and hopefully buy it. I have a Toyota/Dodge background and have only limited knowlege about these trucks. This one looks pretty clean from the few pictures he has posted.

I will ask the same questions the other new guy did, what should I look for? He has 31" tires on the truck, will that fit stock, or does he have a small lift? I have heard of "cranking" the torsion bars to acheive this? Will these tires totally kill the gas mileage?

Thanks in advance for any information, and I look forward to becoming a contributing forum member, unless you guys tell me ohterwise. :D

http://erie.craigslist.org/cto/2686429647.html
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Newbie with purchase question on 03 S-10 CC ZR5

Post by barch97 »

what should I look for?
The same things you'd look for in any 8-9 year old vehicle. Get a good clear photo of the inside of the glove box door RPO codes. That will tell you much more about what you're buying than the seller is.
He has 31" tires on the truck, will that fit stock, or does he have a small lift?
The stock wheel/tire doesn't "fit" stock. So, any increase is bound to rub. This is more a question of how much not if.
I have heard of "cranking" the torsion bars to acheive this?
Tightening torsion bar will temporarily raise the front end but it will settle back down after a hundred miles or so. In the mean time you will have not only raised the front end but stiffened the suspension. The stiffening doesn't go away as fast as the lift. Tightening too far creates a sharp angle where the axle shaft meets the wheel and all sorts of bad things will happen soon after.
Will these tires totally kill the gas mileage?
If you're concerned about gas mileage, you're looking at the wrong truck regardless of tires.

I don't know what the seller means by "OFFROAD PKG/TOW PKG" neither are factory options. ZR5 is an appearance package (roof rack, side step tubes, bed rails & graphics) Maybe they added something after market?

Also, it may be a rare model but the cc was in full production for at least 4 years (2001-2004) and there were even a few made in 2000.

They're asking about $3,000 too much (depending on what exactly the seller means by "LOW MLS") but maybe that's a fair price in "EASTERN OH"?
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
PAbowhunter

Post by PAbowhunter »

Miles are 65,000. I wasnt planning on getting great gas mileage, but I was hoping for at least 15 or 16........maybe 17 with a light foot.

NADA value is just over 12K, I was thinking if I could get it for anything under 10 I would be doing good.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check Edmunds for a fair market value. I think you will be hard pressed to find one worth over $8k today.

You may get 14-15 mpg city and at best 20 mpg highway with a tail wind.

What to look for:
It has ZR2 wheels and tires. Check to see if it has a body lift. If it does, good. If not the t-bars are over cranked and you have ball joint as well as perhaps CV boot problems.

Look around the intake for gasket leaks. Make sure the Dex, if it still has it, is clean full and clear. Check the radiator tanks for cracks and leaks.

Look for oil leaks around the front and back of the intake draining down the starter. Look for oil leaks from the front and rear crankshaft seals.

Make sure the HVAC works in all positions. A failed T-case switch can draw fluid into the vacuum system destroying the HVAC controls.

Watch the rotors for uneven wear. Caliper pins are notorious for seizing. A rear axle full of water is not uncommon if the axle vent line has not been relocated.

Jounce it around. Tire wear and front end noise could be bad ball joints. Slack in the steering could indicate worn idler and pitman arms. Make sure it does engage into 4x4. Corroded cables and actuator problems have been known to happen.

I am sure you will find plenty more around here to keep you busy. Don't pay too much. It looks nice, but you don't want to regret it if you have a couple thousand in repairs dumped into it.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

PAbowhunter wrote:Miles are 65,000
That is pretty low.
PAbowhunter wrote:NADA value is just over 12K
The "National Automobile Dealers Association" thinks it's worth more than it really is? Go figure
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
PAbowhunter

Post by PAbowhunter »

Im seeing these trucks on auto trader with 60-70K on them asking 11-12K. Am I missing something here guys? I think that for around 10K the truck I am looking at is a pretty good deal (depending on the condition, I have seen it in person yet). 4 door 4x4's are in high demand here in the northeast, not sure where all of you are, but they definitely fetch a premium here.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Keep in mind that "asking price" and "sold for" may differ quite a bit. We have been around a while and have polished the values pretty well. I'd say we are not far off. Check Edmunds. The low miles add $1k to the price. In Ohio, trade is $5800, private party $7000, dealer retail $8500. Those prices are for a clean truck. Those wheels and tires may have taken a toll on the suspension and there is still the lift wild card. Either way they do not add value and probably subtract.

They are around for those prices. If it is worth more to you, by all means pay asking price. You will get no argument from me. I really liked my truck. Another $2000 and you will have that one to the happy place mine was.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

I paid 11k for mine just over a year ago. Mine is an '02 and it had 59k when I bought it. Nothing mechanical was really wrong with it except it was time to change fluids, tune-up and such, just like I'm sure that one will be needed, and yours may need suspension work depending on what mods have been done to it. Mine isn't a ZR5 package. It did come with something on it that I valued and that was a matching fiberglass topper. Not only that, the body was in great shape with no rust, which is hard to do in michigan. Just depends on how many turds you are willing to drive, waste time and money looking at to try to find a "good deal".