What new full size truck?

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Hey guys, been a while since I posted. Been lurking every so often. I'm just not happy with the power and mpg of my crew any more and other issues. I am wanting to buy a new full size this fall, or maybe sooner. Who knows. Gotta get wedding done first. I'm a diehard Chevy guy, but I'm not impressed with their silverado that much. Dad has a 09? Silverado it's nice. But mpg is no where near advertised. The interior is very dull, and has no storage space.

I'm really looking hard at a quad cab, 4 door ram, 4x4, 5.7l (391hp).

Guess I'm really looking hard the the ram, tundra, possibly silverado... Anyone have any good info, tips, advise, etc on those?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: What new full size truck?

Post by HenryJ »

Do you need a full size bed?
The Dodge transmissions are junk.
The new Tundras have mega horsepower and decent mileage, but they are big $$$$$$

Avoid the 6.0L Chevy. Avoid the 4.7L Dodge. Avoid the 5.7L Ford.

How about a Tahoe or...Avalanche? :evil:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Well, I want a normal size bed, I don't ever wanna go back to a s10 crew cab size bed. Hauled 8' lumber before, it was interesting, lol.

I have heard things about dodge transmission issues many years ago, but thought that was a thing of the past.

I'll never own a ford, lol. No avalanche or suv for me, just pure truck style.

I know dads silverado (5.3?) is advertised 20 mpg highway. He said the best he's ever got was 16. My coworker's dodges seem to average around 18, but it's mostly highway.

I think the tundra is the best looking truck out right now, but you are right on the price tag.. I just wanna do a lot of research first.
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

im doing the same thing im looking for a 07 or above tundra or a 07 or above silverado . . cant find i nice tundra for less that 25k i was talking to a guy at my fire dept he has a 2011 silverado he said hes gotn it to get 24mpg on the highway on a long trip when it was in 4cyl mode running 60mph
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Keep in mind that most of my experience is with the fleet vehicles and 2008 is the newest in our fleet right now. Maybe Dodge transmissions newer than that are better? I'm skeptical.

Having an 8' bed was a priority for me as was tool storage. The toolbox fenders are great and save my bed space. I don't need the fullsize bed all the time and having it enclosed and lockable is a plus. The option to lay down the midgate and have a full 8' long sealed sleeping area was a real selling point for me.
As with the S-10 , parts availability, cost and interchange played a part in my decision.
My mileage is not fantastic, but it is about what the old S-10 was getting. 18 mpg is about my best. 14 mpg about the norm for winter grade fuel and city driving.
Creature comforts are much better. Heated leather seats are fantastic. Bose sound is good. Stock Bilstein shocks and shields. Power everything including sunroof. Suspension rides great. Coil rear and T-bar front. A 2" lift is cheap and easy. It did not take nearly as long to get to the "happy place" : BLT Offroad avalanche

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Hm, when I said older dodges, I thought like, in the past 8 years or so, 08 is pretty new.... Hmmm.... I'm curious how many of dodges issues could be prevented with normal filter/oil changes to the tranny?

Yeah, what little looking I did the tundra is a pricey beast. Lots of guys at work have em. I do love the looks of the tundra.

I'm typing this riding in a new silverado, kinda funny. Dads mpg never touched that. But he does cruise I'd say around 75. So I'm sure that doesn't help, but still seems like it would be a bit better than 15. I had a friend who has the same thing as sad but gmc, he claimed to get 19-22, but I found it hard to believe since he thought he was a drag racer.

One thing I would hate to loose is the eaton locking diff. I don't think dodge has anything like that? Hmm looks like I'll have to look into it.

I don't plan on modding m new truck like I did my crew. I go my grizzly so it's my off road toy. But I haven't been keeping up with your new avalanche, I love it.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

fallvitals wrote:Hm, when I said older dodges, I thought like, in the past 8 years or so, 08 is pretty new.... Hmmm.... I'm curious how many of dodges issues could be prevented with normal filter/oil changes to the tranny?
A change in driving habits is needed. Fluid level must be checked in neutral. With the transmission in park fluid stops circulating. If it is hot this cooks the tranny! never idle hot in park. Shut it off or place it in neutral. Bands must be adjusted every 20k miles. Very few do that. Ford and Chevy don't do that anymore. Why Dodge still relies upon old stuff like that left over from the 727 days, I'll never understand.
...I'm typing this riding in a new silverado, kinda funny. Dads mpg never touched that. But he does cruise I'd say around 75. So I'm sure that doesn't help, but still seems like it would be a bit better than 15.
I can get great mileage at 55 mph, over that and it starts headed downhill. Check his glove box for the RPO code. Mine is 4.10 geared, I'm betting his is too. Taller gears or tires might help the mileage?
One thing I would hate to loose is the eaton locking diff. I don't think dodge has anything like that? Hmm looks like I'll have to look into it.
The PowerWagon is pretty cool. If you have to own a Dodge, that is the only acceptable one in my book. Selectable lockers, electric disco front sway bar, winch, etc.
A truck to haul the Grizzly makes sense. Room for some gear in the back with it is reasonable. Unless you plan to tow a big trailer the Tundra is more than you need. I have a 2004 Silverado 4x4 5.3L four door at work. It gets 15 mpg on E10 running errands in town. It probably gets close to 18 mpg on the highway. I have a 2008 2wd Silverado 4.8L long box in the fleet now. It is a pretty nice driver too. Very basic.

Do you really need a 4x4? Like you said , your toy is a 4x4.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

That's interesting info on the tranny. I'm not sure what his is geared out, I wanna think he got something like 3.76??? Not sure, I do recall him saying he didn't want 4.10 gear.

That power wagon sounds cool, but definitely too pricey.

Have to have four wheel drive. It's not gonna be my toy but it'll still be in wet fields, ice/snow, and hunting situations. Like today just in a wet field, needed four wheel drive to get out.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I might be looking harder at the silverado. I don't know, lol. I did find this website all about Chrysler and how they are crooks. I'm sure some is pretty extreme, but there are undeniable facts too. They even talk of the new chargers with tranny issues. But the biggest thing that has scared me is this:

"Chrysler No Longer Liable For Vehicle Defects? In Chrysler's Bankruptcy, "the ability to form a new company free from product liability burden (responsibility for defects that cause injury, death and ability for victims to sue) of the old company was essential to the new company's survival" says Chrysler spokesman. In sharp contrast, GM WILL BE continuing to accept responsibility for the vehicles it designed, tested built and sold."
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

We do not speak the "D" word in our house. ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

So lat night I was reading how the 2013 silverados will possibly be a entire new truck and new engine with better mpg. Some sites say 2014. I decided well I'll wait.

Well today, I saw a bunch of lifted silverados. Iv seen them before but thought they were used. Well I checked em out because there was like 10 of em, they are a lifted silverado "z92" offroad model. Sticker was $37,200. but pretty badass truck. Makes me wanna maybe not wait. Sticker says 15/21mpg. Being lifted I'm gonna doubt it'll get anything better than 14 highway....

Any info on this z92? Or the new silverado?