How much for...

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

How much for...

Post by _STUCKY »

I saw on Craigslist today a guy parting out a 96 zr2. I inquired about the rear axle. He says it has a Richmond locker, 3.73 gears, and 100,000 miles. With the leaves, he wants $400. This seems awfully high to me. Can't think of a better group of people to ask, so.... How much should I counter offer with? I've never paid more than $250 for an axle. Judging from the picture, I'm guessing it has had a fair share of abuse. The picture is of the truck on its roof...

http://peoria.craigslist.org/pts/3136762772.html
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: How much for...

Post by HenryJ »

I'd pass. $500-$750 is a good price for a early two thousand model ZR2 8.5 with the G80, low miles and not involved in a rollover.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Perfect! Thanks Brule. I didn't expect input that quickly.

The pirate4x4 guys would scoff at paying that much for a 10 bolt. I may still go see what I can get off of the truck. He said the front skid plate is already sold, but has the others. No 3 piece hitch. Tires and wheels already sold. I asked about the driveshafts and he said $120, I don't need them that bad.
Last edited by _STUCKY on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Hmmm..... Looking at the mods page for the skid plates, it says the front skid won't work, no problem since he doesn't have it... What about the others? It says extended cab skids, I'm guessing I shouldn't even bother
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

1998 and up work for sure , non-rpo ZR2 for the front shield. Engine / diff shields all work , even first gen stuff, as do the fuel tank shields. There are three different depths of the transfercase shield. Those need to be second gen. Any of those should work on ours. Autotrac t-case needs the deep well shield.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I don't think people tell you enough times daily, but you are awesome. You should get told that at least 14 times a day.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

So I guess I'm gonna go snag the skid plates. Anything else on it I should look for?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Be sure to get the rear engine shield mounting brackets and longer bolts. All the mounting bolts are needed. pic

Our shield page has a parts list

- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Well.... I didn't get the brackets.... And I don't think the fuel tank skid will work without major modification. It's not deep enough. The holes on the crossmember for the transfer case skid, I used a 3/8 tap to make threads. It worked out great and is the only one I got mounted today.

As for the brackets for the engine skid, I asked the guy if he would take them off and send them to me. If he doesn't, I'll just go get them from the dealership. The link says they are $12 and some change. Hopefully the price hasn't changed.

Thanks again Brule. Feedback is always nice, even better when it is quick and accurate.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You may end up making your own brackets , if you don't get them. I suspect the dealers stock will have run out by now?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I had considered that. Some angle iron with gussets would do the trick. Is there any way to get measurements of the stock bracket? Like the heighth from the base to the center of the vertical hole?