Firearms guys, let's talk about close misses.

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Hey fellas. I figure Reed might have an answer for me. I got a Rock River Arms AR15, aim point M3 red dot with larue removable mount. Well iv discovered my mount doesn't hold zero when removed, even though it's advertised to, so I stopped removing it to put in its case for transport.

So, last Ike I shot it a few weekends ago, I shot a milk jug at 200 yards, first shot, hit it 3/6 times.

So this weekend, I had caught a problem raccoon, and dad went to dispatch it with my AR15 close, say, 3 yards. And he missed left like a foot! He grazed it, I took the rifle and same thing! I aimed a foot left and grazed him... Now this is getting bad, I hate that he hasn't been put down yet, a lot. So I just put the barrel to its cranium and end it.

I then put a stick up at 30 yards. Hit it every time. Then shot some fans at 100 yards later, no problem. The. We put out a container of tannerite at 100 yards, first shot, Boom!

What is up with that 1 foot left miss at very close range?!?!

My XD .45 service with +P federal HST did the same thing a few weeks ago on a coon. I chalked it up to being very hot +P although I shot it at 10-15 yards and was fairly accurate (for me).

This has me dumbfounded. I could see an extreme high or low miss at that range... But left?!?!
sonomaguy

Re: Firearms guys, let's talk about close misses.

Post by sonomaguy »

Did you ever try another 3 yard shot to see if it still does it. Maybe it was an excitement thing.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

No, didn't do that. It truly wasn't an adrenaline/excitement thing. I don't like that part of it. But I will need to try it on paper. I missed the first time way left, then it put its head down and was locking a wound from a stray round. I took precise aim, and squeezed it.. Left. I don't know, we fired a total of at least 13 rounds all went left. But everything else was dead on. Craziness.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Firearms guys, let's talk about close misses.

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:.......... And he missed left like a foot! He grazed it, I took the rifle and same thing! I aimed a foot left and grazed him...
I'm confused too!! If, it is hitting left approx one foot at approx nine feet, why would you even aim an additional 1 foot further left? I can see slight elevation changes depending on distances and what distance you zeroed it in at but, not windages. Safely repeat shooting on paper at 3 yards and see what happens. I'm interested in this one.

BTW at three yards you shouldn't even need any sights but, that's just me. Once an opponent gets in closer than 7 yards he's going to get you every time if, he has the first move. That one time bringing a knife to a gun fight works out very well.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Errr. Guess I had left all filling up my brain, I ment aimed right (Kentucky wind age), then grazed the coon. Funny thing is it happened to dad and I both. Maybe next weekend if I hang a treestand I'll try it on paper.

Perhaps at that range with proper form, you are correct. The weapon should just be an extension of you, and whatever you are looking at is where you shot should go. I have a nerf gun I use to shoot the cats, aside from aiming up with it for "longer" shots, I can just look and shoot. I think it's a good training tool, haha.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTVUYGxD ... ata_player

Video of the tannerite at 90, maybe 100 yards. It was a good quality video, then it got compressed when texted to me. Oh well. But if you wanna fast forward the fun is 30 seconds in. At my coworkers house/farm, a few other guys there.

My coworker wanted me to put the tannerite container, about a 4" round container, maybe 3" tall ontop a good metal bucket in the fence surrounding his garden. Waste of a good bucket, and cut his monofilament fencing but it was his call, lol.