CV boot banding tool.

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

CV boot banding tool.

Post by fallvitals »

I had to replace a rear inner cv boot on my Atv. I couldn't get the supplied bands to work, then i tried hose clamp and saw those wouldn't work, so I the tried metal zip ties and those wouldn't get tight enough. So what tool can I buy, that will clamp those boots on tight, no questions asked?
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: CV boot banding tool.

Post by WileyHunter »

There is a tool for zip ties, not sure if it would work on the metal ones. It grips and pulls WAY better than our fingers can and gets them as tight as is possible.
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

I went to Napa and got some bands with multiple holes that would fit a wider variety of sizes and then clamped them with a pair of end cutters. Just don't squeeze it tight enough to actually cut the clamp.

2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I use K-D tools #3955 which is designed for these clamps. It compresses the center of the band bulge down while clinching the diameter smaller at the same time. I have owned one for many years and it has served me well. It can be found on page 48 of their catalog and on page 49 there is also a complete service kit for cv joint bands etc.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

CV boot banding tool.

Post by fallvitals »

Thanks for the replies. I think the bands you are talking about jav are like Yamaha use. I really don't see how that kd 3955 tool would work any better than a pair of pliers or wire cutters? Even if it did, I don't see how it would get tight? Seems like this took is what I really need? Image
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I Agree ! And it's on KD's Catalog
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

fallvitals wrote:Thanks for the replies. I think the bands you are talking about jav are like Yamaha use. I really don't see how that kd 3955 tool would work any better than a pair of pliers or wire cutters? Even if it did, I don't see how it would get tight? Seems like this took is what I really need? Image
I have not used the tool you pictured but own the 3955 tool and have used it for years. It does indeed work and is not simply pliers or wire cutters. While the clamp is being shortened by the part that looks like a wire cutter there is a second part that expands toward the center-line of the shaft/boot and flattens the bulge for clearance in it's turning circle. Hard to describe accurately but it does indeed work and very well. Use whatever you like matters not to me. Just saying what I know to work backed up by many years of professional mechanic work.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

CV boot banding tool.

Post by fallvitals »

I don't doubt ya. I did manage to find a video of some one doing a cv clamp with the same style of tool like I posted, and it looked like a breeze. I may have to try that one.

Here's a really dumb question? Do those bands have a particular name? I can't seen to find just the bands..
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

8) CV joint Boot Band ?
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

CV boot banding tool.

Post by fallvitals »

lol, that's pretty much what I gave been googling, but what I found was really pricey. Just thought there may be a more generic name as to not exploit as much moneys from my wallet, lol.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Autozone calls them cv joint clamps. They show PN 614-064 which is a pack of 5 (Dorman) that fit my 2001 for $17.99. I have purchased individual clamps from my local bumper to bumper store for 2-3 bucks apiece. I have also tried the motormite clamp they list and did not like it and found it ineffective.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Why not just use good quality hose clamps? They work better, are much stronger, and can be reused! I like to use the stainless steel embossed hose clamps because they can handle more torque without stripping, have rolled edges to protect the rubber from cuts, and ss lasts forever. I have used end cutters like the one pictured above for a quick fix without any problems, but the right tool is always better.

Steve
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

CV boot banding tool.

Post by fallvitals »

Good info. I went to advance looking for a tool weeks ago, they looked at me like a deer in headlights. Said they didn't have that.

I got some some hose clamps, but the locking/screw part rubbed against the boot, and would wore into after a while.
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

I find advance auto tools (as in type of person, not literal) to be totally worthless. I went in a few weeks ago and had to explain valve lapping compound to one.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

killian96ss wrote:Why not just use good quality hose clamps? They work better, are much stronger, and can be reused! I like to use the stainless steel embossed hose clamps because they can handle more torque without stripping, have rolled edges to protect the rubber from cuts, and ss lasts forever. I have used end cutters like the one pictured above for a quick fix without any problems, but the right tool is always better.

Steve
I've read of HJ using this method IIRC and he had a 2001 like the one I am still driving. I don't know why but on mine the clamp screws will not clear the stud on the ball joint as well as parts of the suspension and bolts above the cv axle. It is that way on both sides.