Truck Cap that gives the crew cab a blazer look?

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

williamcstonejr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Truck Cap that gives the crew cab a blazer look?

Post by williamcstonejr »

I have been searching online for over a week for a truck shell that gives the S10 Crew Cab the blazer look, kinda slanted in the back. I used to see them around all the time but now that I am in the market for one they seemed to have gone the way of the Dodo. Does anyone remember these and who made them? Thanx
[size=75]All it takes is time and money.....the two things I don't seem to have very much of[/size]
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Truck Cap that gives the crew cab a blazer look?

Post by mars2878 »

Mine is made by leer, it was on the truck when I bought it.
The back end is more like a 4-door blazer vs. A 2-door.
Locally there is 1 for sale in ri that is made by jeraco, also a 4-door style.
Hope this helps.
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.
williamcstonejr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

A couple years back my town had two other crew cabs running around and they both had a camper shell that had a slant on the back that gave the truck a zr2 blazer look. I have been to two dealers and gone through their catolog and didn't find them. Looks like I'll just buy the standard shell. Thanks for the effort :-)
[size=75]All it takes is time and money.....the two things I don't seem to have very much of[/size]
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by mars2878 »

here is what mine looks like.
it's a leer.
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.
williamcstonejr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Nice photo of the front of your truck :lol:
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by mars2878 »

that's kinda funny.
on my cell phone the pic is chopped, on the desktop its a full pic.
the pics that i used in other posts seem to b fine.
any suggestions on how to fix it?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You can link huge images: Truck pic, It looks fine viewed as it is hosted on photobucket.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by mars2878 »

thanks, i wasn't sure if i was doing something wrong.
i just started posted pics from photobucket this week, so still kinda new.
williamcstonejr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Funny I was looking at it with my phone also that's why I was getting only half of the image. I gave up my search, the shell I was looking for isnt being manufactured anymore and finding one was turning into a very time consuming process. I just bought a Vision series CH 500 that should be here in a week. Then I am getting my tires and doing the flare cut out. Hopefully I can find the templates Brule sent me since I have moved since then :lol:

mars2878 the cap I bought is very similar to the shell you have but in pewter of course

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Be sure to take before and after pictures along with the step by step photos ;) We love to see the process :)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
williamcstonejr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I will being doing just that. Plenty of photo's, I have been driving a motorcycle to work every day to include winter for almost four years now. I have only put 2800 miles on the Crew Cab since then. My wife just downsized from a full size SUV to a new Ford Focus so we are getting the S-10 prepped and ready for those occasional camping trips and taking the boxers to the vet. I just found the Skidz Cut-Out Flares templates you sent me so I am going your route with the 33x9.5x15 TAKO's on the stock rims. My 2.5 spacers came in last week for the rears so I'll move the 1.5 to the front. I noticed the date on the envelope, I cant believe it has been four years in Jan. Time goes by so fast! I have a son in grad school now, one under grad who also happens to be a Marine Corps reservist going active when he gets his degree. One high school JR and a fourth grader. And one more thing, just where in the heck did all of this grey hair come from??????
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Nothing wrong with gray hair. I was 40% gray at 16 years old. I have a little more now. ;)

Need to update the "What are you driving for gas mileage?" thread. Love to hear more about your two wheeled commuter. Your story sounds much the same as mine. I have put 4k miles on the KLR and the Avalanche is saved for camping trips. Winter just around the corner, I will be driving the Av daily soon. I am kind of a wimp when it comes to riding in the wet, cold, wind, etc.
I fired up the V65 Sabre not long ago. Thought about licensing and riding it again, but the season is short, so maybe spring?

Did you have any problems finding the 33x9.50-15 BFG TAKO tires? Last check they were on a nation wide back order?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
williamcstonejr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

When I wrote that I had no idea they had become so hard to find. Every web site I have checked I am finding that they are indeed on back order. This is going to put a serious crimp in my plans. I don't even know what I would want as a good alternative.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearc ... BFGoodrich
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You might have to go to the 33x10.5-15 BFG TAKO. That was my next choice. Reed has been running them. I don't recall if there are any problems, although I seem to recall he had a bad tire?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
williamcstonejr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I seem to remember something like that but I thought he had purchased the after market rims that gives him the needed back spacing. Will 1.5" spacers up front with stock rims give me what I need without any heavy welding on the stops to avoid frame rub? If that is my only option then it is what I am going to do. It has been way to long since this truck has been on the road. It is time to customize and hit the road :-)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The 1.5" spacers up front should work just fine. You will need to weld up the stops either way. The 10.5 only adds 1/2" more inside. Price wise they are a little cheaper than the 9.50s. They look REALLY beefy.
I think that
Heavier and wider they may be harder to turn and work the powersteering pretty good. I had to mod mine with the 9.50s to make them work at idle speeds. You know the routine..."one mod begets another and the snowball starts running down hill!"

Running without flares you are going to show some tire. Not too bad I hope.
IIRC jedthrocornpone is running 10.5s too?
His does not have big flares like F9K9s truck:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
williamcstonejr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

That's the ticket then. Ordering tires either tonight or tomorrow. My truck is in the shop for a couple door dings and a new rear bumper courtesy of the high school girl that rear ended me. I should have the truck back on Friday and my camper shell will be in on the following Monday. I'll start on the skidz cut outs as soon as I get the truck back. Then one more pesky problem I have been ignoring, I have a small oil leak topside at the rear of the engine it looks to be coming from the manifold area. Going to have to take the manifold off to inspect and replace what is needed then we can hit the snow at Big Bear this winter :-) :rock:

Oh and BTW those trucks do look sweet with the 10.5's on them!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Your oil leak could be several things. Check the easy stuff first.
The oil pressure sender near the distributor. That is my first suspect. Next would be the distributor seal. Last would be the lower intake manifold end seal.

An inspection mirror and some feeling around should reveal the culprit.
You may need to degrease and clean it up good and then wait for it to freshly surface again.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
williamcstonejr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Thanks I will do that first. With a total remodel on the home we bought (inside and out) I can use a easy fix for a change :surrender:

Edit: BTW with this set up do you have a recommendation for shocks? I'm on the shocks that came on the truck when I purchased it and they are shot.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

http://www.desertrat.com/products/?id=4199

Desert rat has the 33x9.5 bfg listed on their site. Warning though, I had a bad experience ordering from them. I'd suggest calling them instead of ordering online.

When I got my yj the rear sway bar was ripped from its mount, then shortly after I snapped the front sway bar, then shortly after that I bent a front leaf. So I needed (wanted) a good lift kit. Did some research, did a lot of pricing, and ended up settling on a black diamond kit. And I waited.... And waited... Maybe a month went by with nothing showing up, so I called and they told me that the springs are made in India and that it was going to be months before they could even make my leaf springs. So they canceled that order and set me up with what I have now, a superlift 3.5 with shocks. Both were about the same price, but I got the dirty end of the poop stick. So I waited... When parts started showing up, I got the front springs and all the hardware, and waited... And wrenched... I had everything on the front end installed, and was still waiting... Finally I called them again and like 3 days later I had rear springs. I did not get what I originally ordered, and I wasn't fully happy with what I got, especially with the waiting I did. If they had just simply told me to begin with that that kit was back ordered, it would have been nice. And had I known then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted the money and went to what I'm planning now
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

williamcstonejr wrote:Thanks I will do that first. With a total remodel on the home we bought (inside and out) I can use a easy fix for a change :surrender:

Edit: BTW with this set up do you have a recommendation for shocks? I'm on the shocks that came on the truck when I purchased it and they are shot.
bilsteins . there is no better choice if you plan to keep the truck long term.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
williamcstonejr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Thank you, I do plan on the long haul with this truck. I've been wanting an avalanche but cant justify buying one to leave it covered on the side of the house. The 10.5's ended up being a little difficult to get also. The local big brand tire shop said they can have them in two weeks so ordered them. $175.00 per tire with mounting and balancing. Time to get started on the skidz cut outs as soon as the truck gets back from the body shop. Ordering Bilsteins now :wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

williamcstonejr wrote:...The local big brand tire shop said they can have them in two weeks so ordered them. $175.00 per tire with mounting and balancing.
Very good. I paid that for one 9.50 locally many years ago. You did good.
Time to get started on the skidz cut outs as soon as the truck gets back from the body shop. Ordering Bilsteins now :wink:
Christmas in October. I like it. October is a good month for me too :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK