V8 Swaps

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Rusty

V8 Swaps

Post by Rusty »

I just got an '87 Blazer 4x4 with a very worn 2.8 V6 in it that I figure might last another 30-50k miles if I'm really nice to it. Rather than bother trying to find another 2.8 for when this thing finally goes boom, I'm tossing around the idea of a V8 swap for it. I'm thinking 305 TBI for reasons of legality and cost. Anyone done a V8 swap on an S10 yet and if so, any advice?
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: V8 Swaps

Post by Conman »

GaryH wrote:I just got an '87 Blazer 4x4 with a very worn 2.8 V6 in it that I figure might last another 30-50k miles if I'm really nice to it. Rather than bother trying to find another 2.8 for when this thing finally goes boom, I'm tossing around the idea of a V8 swap for it. I'm thinking 305 TBI for reasons of legality and cost. Anyone done a V8 swap on an S10 yet and if so, any advice?

A few Trooper Owners with the 2.8 GM v6 did 3.4 v6 swaps. IIRC the Camaro came with those engines. Might be cheaper and just about drop in for you. 200HP+ should be easy to get with the 3.4 and one with some mods should get more than that easy. Do a seach on 2.8 to 3.4 swap in google.

Good Luck,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Thanks Con! I did a search and found a ton of stuff on swapping in a 3.4, including one site that was using an '87 Blazer just like mine as an example. I wonder why I never think of Google in the first place? I gotta admit though, the V8 idea sounds cool but you're right. The 3.4 makes more sense, especially since I know myself well enough to know what a V8 swap will start --- another money pit project. I'll stick with the 6.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

GaryH wrote:Thanks Con! I did a search and found a ton of stuff on swapping in a 3.4, including one site that was using an '87 Blazer just like mine as an example. I wonder why I never think of Google in the first place? I gotta admit though, the V8 idea sounds cool but you're right. The 3.4 makes more sense, especially since I know myself well enough to know what a V8 swap will start --- another money pit project. I'll stick with the 6.

NP glad to give you something to think about. I know of one person who did a 3.4 crate motor, but most just find used Camaro/F Body engines. There should be lots of them. Also, some have thought about the front drive 3.4 engines but I think that will need more work plus those are EFI engines so you would need to swap computers, etc. etc.

I don't have any sites off hand(I think I have a few links at home) but I think the cheapest you can go is to swap in the 3.4 and reuse the same 2.8 computer if you reuse the 2.8 throttle body or something like that. I'll look when I get home.

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I just have to keep things in perspective. I'm supposed to be fixing up the CrewCab, not the Blazer. The Blazer is supposed to be the everyday beater truck. How quickly I can forget!

:lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Conman wrote:I know of one person who did a 3.4 crate motor,
I know of one too ;) Thunder

So now you know two, huh?!?

I'd do it again! I think before all the mods to the crew it would stomp all over our 4.3L.

I have over 40K on the 3.4L now and it is definately the way to go.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:
Conman wrote:I know of one person who did a 3.4 crate motor,
I know of one too ;) Thunder

So now you know two, huh?!?

I'd do it again! I think before all the mods to the crew it would stomp all over our 4.3L.

I have over 40K on the 3.4L now and it is definately the way to go.

Oh, You're the one that had "Thunder". I knew I'd seen pictures, etc, of someone's S10 with the 3.4 swap but I couldn't remember where.Oh how the mind doth fail with age!

:lol:

Yeah, like I said, the Blazer is supposed to be the everyday car and the Crewcab is supposed to be the fix-up project (to a limited extent anyway) but I kinda forgot for a moment when I looked at a V8 conversion. I just want to do something low budget to keep the Blazer on the road for another 200k miles but with the oil pressure the thing is running, I don't think that motor is going to last more than 50k tops. I need to save the money for the lift, etc, on the CC so whatever I do on the Blazer, it's gonna have to be cheap.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

GaryH wrote: but with the oil pressure the thing is running, I don't think that motor is going to last more than 50k tops. I need to save the money for the lift, etc, on the CC so whatever I do on the Blazer, it's gonna have to be cheap.
Might check to see if the sender (on the filter adapter) is leaking and giving a low reading. They are notorious for going bad. Along with the instrument cluster gauges. I put a cheap set of gauges in to get some better readings.

Watch the timing set, that 2.8L has a really long chain.

If your readings are really low (less than 10 at idle) there may be no real help for it. Seems to me that they only had 30-40 lbs pressure at 3000 rpm stock?

The S-10's with the 4.3L are an easier SB V-8 swap since the bellhousing is the same.

The 2.8 to V-8 swap can be done , but you'd spend more than the cost of a 3.4L crate motor. And IMO if I had to choose between them , I'd do the 3.4L again.

I'd run it till the engine let's go then do something :D

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:I'd run it till the engine let's go then do something :D

Yeah, I plan to do that. First thing is a dowsing in "RustOleum". I'm planning to buy a case of spraycans and have at the bottoms of the fenders to stop any more rust. Then I'm just going to drive it 'til it drops. Then go from there. Heck, if I get 50k miles out of it, it was worth what I paid for it. It's got a brand new 700R4 tranny (at least I think it's a 700R4) and 4 new Goodyear Wranglers on it so I got a bargain anyway. Even if I don't fix it up, when it dies, I could probably sell the tranny alone and get most of my money back!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

GaryH wrote:First thing is a dowsing in "RustOleum". I'm planning to buy a case of spraycans and have at the bottoms of the fenders to stop any more rust. Then I'm just going to drive it 'til it drops.
NAPA sells some treatment, I think it was marketed under the name "Extend"

Buy a gallon of that and treat the rust! It will chemically alter the rust (turns black) and seal it creating a primer base for the "rattle" can to stick to.

It will stop the rust, and well worth the time to brush it on.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:
GaryH wrote:First thing is a dowsing in "RustOleum". I'm planning to buy a case of spraycans and have at the bottoms of the fenders to stop any more rust. Then I'm just going to drive it 'til it drops.
NAPA sells some treatment, I think it was marketed under the name "Extend"

Buy a gallon of that and treat the rust! It will chemically alter the rust (turns black) and seal it creating a primer base for the "rattle" can to stick to.

It will stop the rust, and well worth the time to brush it on.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that stuff. Thanks!
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

V8 swaps

Post by snowsurfer »

I've done a number of swaps 6 total but only 1 4WD which I kept for myself and drive daily to and from work. I used a Stealth adapter which I found the best. 4WD require some work in order to get everything right. 2 WD are easy and can be done in 2 weekends.

I'll send you some pic's and more info if you want, e mail me direct at

SEAYAHAWAII@hawaii.rr.com

Steve
Rusty

Re: V8 swaps

Post by Rusty »

snowsurfer wrote:I've done a number of swaps 6 total but only 1 4WD which I kept for myself and drive daily to and from work. I used a Stealth adapter which I found the best. 4WD require some work in order to get everything right. 2 WD are easy and can be done in 2 weekends.

I'll send you some pic's and more info if you want, e mail me direct at

SEAYAHAWAII@hawaii.rr.com

Steve

Considering your location, I'd rather come out and see them in person! :lol: I think I got off track for a moment with the Blazer, forgetting the real reason behind it is so I can drive it everyday and fix up the CrewCab. With 2 kids, a mortgage, car payments, etc, I can only afford to do one at a time. I would rather spend a few grand (when I get it) on the lift and other mods for the Crew. I'm keeping the V8 swap in the back of my mind though. Never know! I might stumble onto a 350 TPI with computer and wiring and tranny really cheap (yeah, right :roll: ).
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

V8

Post by snowsurfer »

Actually wanen't trying to sell you a my V8 S10 was just telling you what I've done. I've done a few V8 swaps but kept only 1 which is a 83 4WD ext cab which I set up to drive daily, 650 CFM, 305 cu in, 700R and actually get pretty good gas mileage.

I used a number of different mounts from Advance adapters, Hoker but Stealth by far has the installation down to a science. Anyway good luck to you.

Later
Rusty

Re: V8

Post by Rusty »

snowsurfer wrote:Actually wanen't trying to sell you a my V8 S10 was just telling you what I've done.

Oh, I know! :lol: Thanks!
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

snowsurfer wrote:Actually wanen't trying to sell you a my V8 S10 was just telling you what I've done. I've done a few V8 swaps but kept only 1 which is a 83 4WD ext cab which I set up to drive daily, 650 CFM, 305 cu in, 700R and actually get pretty good gas mileage.

I used a number of different mounts from Advance adapters, Hoker but Stealth by far has the installation down to a science. Anyway good luck to you.

Later

Oh, 305's are my favorite. I had a 78 Buick Regal with one, and now I have an 86 Camaro with one. They run and sound like a V8 with the mileage of a V6. I get like 22mpg or more with it.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

quickbiker wrote:Oh, 305's are my favorite. They run and sound like a V8 with the mileage of a V6. I get like 22mpg or more with it.
The few 305's I've been around , both fullsize trucks, were a different story.

The mileage of a 454 and the power of a v-6.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jeff
Crew
Crew

Post by Jeff »

I did a V8 swap on an 1982 S-10, went to a 400 small block. I was a pretty easy swap, and the most expensive part was the custom hooker headers, and the goodies that I put in internally. The one issue that I didnt have to work around was that it was a 2WD, there would have been quite a few more mods to do a 4WD. Let me know if you want any more info on it, and I can break down the install and goodies that you would need.
QnsRyche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by QnsRyche »

i had an 87 2.8 fi 4x4.. something you might want to keep in mind.... i snapped axles alot on it.[front and rear!]... just think of the v-8...... ..course i had one hell of a shift kit in it...and 30" muds and yea i took it off road alot . just something to keep in mind
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Well, all I know is I've got to do something with it. I drove it to work Friday for the first time and discovered it takes everything that little 2.8 has to maintain 60mph on level ground, and that's with the A/C turned off! Gets a litttle spooky when everyone is flying around you at 75! Hit a small hill or turn on the A/C and you had better plan on downshifting 'cause it won't pull it in OD (it's an auto). Man, that is one tired little V6! Of course, at 166k miles, I guess it has a right to be. I'm going to start looking for the 3.4's they put in some of the newer Camaro's and Firebird's because I hear it's almost a bolt in swap after changing over a few minor things.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

12363230 HT 3.4

Post by HenryJ »

The HT 3.4, a serious upgrade for your favorite little truck. With 40 more horsepower than your 2.8 V6, why would you even consider rebuilding that old 2.8? The induction system, ignition system, exhaust, emission controls, water pump and other parts required to bolt in your new HT 3.4 are already on your truck. Sounds like a weekend project .
GM Performance parts The cam in these engines makes the difference, IMO. Though a 3.4L Camaro engine would at least be better than the 2.8L.

You also might consider the 3.1L , I haven't looked into them as a swap, but it is the same engine family and my wife's Cavalier is pretty "zippy" (That may be due to the Multi-port fuel injection though)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Re: 12363230 HT 3.4

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:
The HT 3.4, a serious upgrade for your favorite little truck. With 40 more horsepower than your 2.8 V6, why would you even consider rebuilding that old 2.8? The induction system, ignition system, exhaust, emission controls, water pump and other parts required to bolt in your new HT 3.4 are already on your truck. Sounds like a weekend project .
GM Performance parts The cam in these engines makes the difference, IMO. Though a 3.4L Camaro engine would at least be better than the 2.8L.

You also might consider the 3.1L , I haven't looked into them as a swap, but it is the same engine family and my wife's Cavalier is pretty "zippy" (That may be due to the Multi-port fuel injection though)

Our Lumina has the 3100. Quite impressive. Actually done some smokey burnouts in it (freaks out the ricers!). Won't bolt in though. Apparently there are major differences between the FWD and RWD blocks. While I've been told that you can fabricate mounts and put a FWD motor in a S10, it's more work than a V8.

I'd love to have the HT 3.4 crate motor but I can't deal with the $1800 (plus shipping) price tag, especially since I can probably get the Camaro version for $400-500 total. Depending on how far I end up going with this thing, I may eventually do it.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

GaryH wrote:Well, all I know is I've got to do something with it. I drove it to work Friday for the first time and discovered it takes everything that little 2.8 has to maintain 60mph on level ground, and that's with the A/C turned off!
Try cutting the cat off. A pugging cat will really make them doggy. Then run a tank of fuel with some good injector cleaner thru it.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:
GaryH wrote:Well, all I know is I've got to do something with it. I drove it to work Friday for the first time and discovered it takes everything that little 2.8 has to maintain 60mph on level ground, and that's with the A/C turned off!
Try cutting the cat off. A pugging cat will really make them doggy. Then run a tank of fuel with some good injector cleaner thru it.

Hmm, I didn't think about the cat. I'll have to try that. I've run a can of FI cleaner through it and have another can waiting for the next fill up. Haven't noticed to much difference. I think this thing has been sitting for a while too. It seems to get a little better the more I drive it, like everything is loosening back up again. Also, I'm attacking the fender rust. Know of a good source of patch panels? GM wants $500 each for the rear quarter panels. I'll bet they don't sell too many.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

GaryH wrote:Know of a good source of patch panels? GM wants $500 each for the rear quarter panels.
JCWhitney has some patch panels for it.

I usually get mine throught a local wrecking yard or, Jack at the body shop, for late model stuff.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: 12363230 HT 3.4

Post by marks10cc »

GaryH wrote:
Our Lumina has the 3100. Quite impressive. Actually done some smokey burnouts in it (freaks out the ricers!).

A '99 Z24 and a '01 Malibu are the two cars I have done the most work on. The 3.1L from 2000 and on has had a major power increase (they changed the upper and lower intakes, increased the nozzle size on the injectors, and changed the camshaft timing: though may be through computer and not hardware). The newest 3.1L has 190 TQ at around 2800 RPM (site says 3100, but at 2800 you can feel the engine kick). Before then it's a dog, though. If your planning on doing off-roading, this engine is not the best low-end torque machine out there. But around 2800 RPM it kicks in and pulls hard through 4200 or so RPM. I have some bolt ons (K&N FIPK, Flowmaster and 3 in. cat back exhaust, TB coolant mod, and MAF upgrade) and noticed very little difference before 2800 RPM and after 4200 RPM. But it is faster between 2800 and 4200. A different camshaft would diffinately help this engine. BTW, wouldn't the 3.1L be the best bet? It's just a stroked 2.8... should bolt with NO additional help (in theory).

HenryJ wrote:You also might consider the 3.1L , I haven't looked into them as a swap, but it is the same engine family and my wife's Cavalier is pretty "zippy" (That may be due to the Multi-port fuel injection though)

That old 3.1L was done away for the 4 banger LD9. I wept when I traded in my '93 Z24 on a '99 and noticed it only had 4 spark plugs... though, I had to look under the hood to notice because the '99 was WAY faster than the '93. The 2.4L DOHC has the same HP and only 5 less TQ then the hold 3.1 ('99 and earlier). But the 2.4 DOHC LD9 has an almost FLAT power curve .... (miss my Z24, was a fun car)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

GaryH, check out this thread I found on the S10Forum : Changed cat today...

Sounds exactly like the problems you are having , almost word for word ::shock:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:GaryH, check out this thread I found on the S10Forum : Changed cat today...

Yeah, I'm sold on the cat idea. The beast (not in referrence to James Hetfield's Blazer) feels like it wants to run but can't. And yeah, the exhaust does sound a bit strange. BTW, I did look at JC Whitney and while they do have the weather stripping that I need and some other stuff, they didn't have the patch panels, or I just couldn't find them on the site. One fender looks like it's going to need more help than just a patch though. It rotted through the body seam that runs along the bottom of the rocker panels. There is a 4" section missing. I cleaned out the "holes" with my shop vac and got all the flakes, mud, etc out and am blasting everything with Extend and or Rustoleum to keep it from getting worse. I half filled my shop vac with Blazer rust flakes! :lol:

I'm finding I really like this little truck and am planning to do some real fixing up on it in the not so near future. I still have to do the Crewcab first!
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

HenryJ wrote:GaryH, check out this thread I found on the S10Forum : Changed cat today...

Did you notice the comments from "Blazerpride" two down from the top? What an a$$. Geez, you can't even say you got a new cat without getting flamed on that forum. I hope none of those guys ever gets a Crew and moves over here.
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

GaryH wrote:I did look at JC Whitney and while they do have the weather stripping that I need and some other stuff, they didn't have the patch panels, or I just couldn't find them on the site.
The paper catalog lists them. The website is less than adequite IMO.

You might just sign-up for the free catalogs, since you're not in a hurry

We have a pretty good salvage yard here (high desert, less than 12" precip.= no rust) North Verde Auto Salvage , They can ship parts. Kelly and Joe will make you a deal if you mention that Brule is the one who refered you.

I can check out the parts , though they are pretty good at estimating the condition.

They do have several 1st gen S-10s , only a couple 2nd gen.

Shipping on a front fender wouldn't be too bad , or parts of a quarter panel , but a complete quarter , might be cost prohibitive after shipping.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Mike H. wrote:

Did you notice the comments from "Blazerpride" two down from the top? What an a$$. Geez, you can't even say you got a new cat without getting flamed on that forum. I hope none of those guys ever gets a Crew and moves over here.

I actually registered on S10Forum but haven't posted because of those types of comments. Too many people there that seriously need to grow up. By the way, my user name there is "Fe2O3". Anyone firgure out what it means? :lol:
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

GaryH wrote:By the way, my user name there is "Fe2O3". Anyone firgure out what it means? :lol:
2 iron atoms + 3 oxygen atoms = rust

Correct?
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Mike H. wrote:
GaryH wrote:By the way, my user name there is "Fe2O3". Anyone firgure out what it means? :lol:
2 iron atoms + 3 oxygen atoms = rust

Correct?

You got it! It seemed like a fitting name, all things considered.

Oh, who the h*ll am I kidding? I was out in the garage, looking over the whole mess and trying to decide how to run the dual exhaust, what brackets I need to keep the A/C, Cruise and other options, whether or not the 8.5" rear from a ZR2 Blazer will bolt in, etc, etc, etc. It's going 350TPI Vette motor. Once a Hot Rodder, ALWAYS a Hot Rodder! I'll never change!

:roll: