New to Crewcab.net

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

curtisb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New to Crewcab.net

Post by curtisb »

Hey everybody,

Just thought I'd start with a hello and an introduction. I live in central Ca, I hunt, fish, kayak, snowboard, camp, mountain bike, and love the outdoors. I wouldn't say I'm an offroader but I use my truck for whatever I need it for and want to get it ready for more then I'll hopefully ever put it through. Got my 4X4 04 S10 crew cab (65,000 :rock: ) Jan 3rd. I'm really happy with it even though... no posi, 3.43 gear, Victory Red (its growing on me), and the previous owner decided to adorn it with two tone light blue pinstriping :crazy:

So Ol' Red has been with me almost a month, so far I have put 15x10 black steelies on it, got the pinstriping off the hood and tailgate (tailgate needs to be hit with heavy polish and if that doesn't save it then I'll repaint it) and covered the strips on the side with a nice mossy oak decal. I picked up a 04 Ford Ranger bed extender at the junk yard ($40 :thumb: ) and a couple of holes and carriage bolts later it is installed, removable and fully functional. And a couple days ago me and a friend installed a Performance Accessories 2" body lift 8) .

Next will be tires or intake. I almost ordered to Specter Cold Air Intake but I found out the emissions approval only covers up to '03. As for tires I'm hoping to fit 32's with some light front fender trimming (unless someone has some Skidz to sell or Jungle Fender Flares has stepped up to the plate :lol: )

Well I think this has gone on long enough. Looking forward to all the great input and info that I'll be getting here.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: New to Crewcab.net

Post by ApproachMedium »

Welcome to the site! Its def a great resource for info and has served me well over the year of owning this truck. Take a look see thru all of the threads, no matter how old they are. You may find some very useful info that you didnt know you were even looking for. With that I am one of the current holders of the service manuals, while they are for an 01 they do serve their purpose for most general electrical and mechanical items you would need to know for a later crew. So if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Great start and first post!
The forum has been around for a very long time now. A dozen years now is hard to believe. Almost everything has been done at least once.
Traffic is not a busy as it once was , but the community is a good one. I am sure you will enjoy it :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Serge PETIT
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Serge PETIT »

Welcome to this site ! :wave:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Welcome to the forum! Where in central CA are you located? The Spectre CAI will pass CA emission testing with no problems. I know this because I have one on my 05 ZR2 and have never had any problems. The Spectre CAI system is also better made than the more expensive K&N system. Good luck with your new truck, and be sure to post some pics for us.

Steve
curtisb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by curtisb »

Turlock, right near Modesto. when I contacted summit they said it was only good up to 03. I'm trying to figure it out. I was thinking of ordering a cheap ebay set up that has the mass adapter and when the filter gets dirty buying a large k&n or Spectre cone to replace it. It's all kinda waiting now cause I couldn't wait any longer, after I put the 2" PA on I went and got some 31x10.5 15 BFG A/T's on it. I'll get some pics up when i have some time.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

killian96ss wrote:Welcome to the forum! Where in central CA are you located? The Spectre CAI will pass CA emission testing with no problems. I know this because I have one on my 05 ZR2 and have never had any problems. The Spectre CAI system is also better made than the more expensive K&N system. Good luck with your new truck, and be sure to post some pics for us.

Steve

Oh really? Glad I never bought the K&N unit. I am in the market for an intake since mine is so screwed up after 257k that when the filter gets dirty next time, the box is not going back together once it comes apart. What is the maintance like on the Spectre unit?
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Like I said the Spectre CAI system will pass both the visual and tailpipe emission testing here in CA with no problem. The only part of the K&N system that is better than the Spectre is the filter. The K&N filter just has deeper and thicker pleats than the Spectre so it should last longer and filter better. Both filters are oiled so you will need to clean your MAF sensor and IAT sensor at least ever other oil change in order to prevent false readings from the oily deposits. Some people have had problems with the K&N intake "hat" popping off while driving around, but it never happened to me when I had one. The Spectre intake "hat" bolts onto the throttle body instead of being clamped on like the K&N. Another problem with the K&N system is the where it mounts to the fuse relay center bracket. Either the alignment with this kit is off, or the bracket was never meant to support the weight of the whole intake system. My bracket broke right where the stud mounts to it. I had K&N buy me a new bracket from GM since it is clearly a design flaw. I have about 60k miles on my Spectre system and so far all I've had to do is vacuum loose dirt off the outside of the filter. I might clean and re-oil the filter on my next oil change if it needs it. A pre-filter would extend service intervals even farther. Having used both CAI systems, I definitely recommend the Spectre, and if that filter ever needs replacement, swap it out for a K&N.

Steve
Last edited by killian96ss on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:...Having used both CAI systems, I definitely recommend the Spectre, and if that filter ever needs replacement, swap it out for a K&N.
I agree 150% with everything he posted above. Same experiences here and a happy Spectre owner now.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by mars2878 »

welcome to the site.
even though i myself have only been here a few months, everybody has been helpful & informative.
unlike others places that i have been where the unknowledged speak of myth as if were fact.
keep the progress updates coming & lets see some pics.
PLEASE :D
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.
curtisb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by curtisb »

Here you go guys, i got lot more i want to do to it but it's looking good for only a month in my care. There's a before picture in the "post a pic of your ride" thread.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

What is the backspacing on the wheels?
curtisb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by curtisb »

Sorry I couldn't tell you, I bought them used for $50 and a tool box that wont fit our little beds. I'll try to take a measurement and post the backspacing. But they rub, I trimmed the driver side and still need to trim the passenger side and more off the driver. I'm looking at ordering some some black center caps, spacers for the rear (I think I need some 1.25" or 1.5", gotta measure that too) and some new 12x1.5 open end lug nuts off ebay. I'm thinking red, but maybe black, anybody have suggestions on that?
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

_STUCKY wrote:Well here is what I did today.

These boxes were made to hold 32 40mm cartridges. I got them at the local army surplus store. They are a perfect fit between the wheel wells and the boxed part at the back of the bed. I used 4 of the bolts with the eyelets at the end, 4 nuts, 4 small washers on the inside of the bed, 4 bigger washers on the back side of the bed, and 4 lock nuts. Straps were hanging on the wall.
I have since bought some cheap ratchet straps to replace the rubber straps and I usually keep the lids off. They still work great though.

F9K9 wrote:Image

Looking good! Those wheels are begging for the 1st Gen center cap treatment.

Would you post a picture of the bed extender?
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

I almost forgot about the Ammo cases. I looked at all the army navy stores around here and they think I am crazy. I guess I need to order them online. I could def use some storage space in the CC with all the little goodies I keep in it. Like the portable air compressor, first aid kit, some small tools and bits.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
curtisb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by curtisb »

Hmmm, I like the the chevy center caps. But I'm not sure thats the look I'm try to achieve. I originally wanted to go all black, but hte red has really grown on me and I think I might keep it longer then I thought (plus I'm cheap and paint jobs aren't). So I think the red lug nuts would be a really nice compliment on the all black wheels.

Well I knew you guys would wanna see the bed extender (it still needs to be blacked out to go with Ol' Reds color scheme, gloss black on the metal, flat black on the plastic), you guys are mod crazy lol 8) . Here ya go...

I got the extender for $40 at a junk yard :rock: and it almost exactly fit into the opening where the tail gate sits. I used 3/8x2" carriage bolts (the head fit the original brackets perfectly). Drilled holes for those and the pins that lock it in place when its deployed. used washers to move the bolt heads out to the right width so the brackets slide right over. Took the tail lights out and used lock washers and lock nuts to tighten everything up. To e honest it couldn't have been much easier. Maybe one of these days I'll snap a bunch of pics and do a better right up in a mod thread, then I can feel like a real contributor. :wink:
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

ApproachMedium wrote:I almost forgot about the Ammo cases. I looked at all the army navy stores around here and they think I am crazy. I guess I need to order them online. I could def use some storage space in the CC with all the little goodies I keep in it. Like the portable air compressor, first aid kit, some small tools and bits.
I've got 4 of these now. I'll try to get some more info on them. I know that 2 of my buddies knew exactly what was in them as soon as they saw them, but 1 is a marine and 1 is national guard. They have both had the pleasure of shooting the 40mm cannon.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Nice. Yea I work with a marine, and he said he could get me the two other more popular ones, 50 cal and something else. But the ones you have he cant.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ