? about my old Hpp3

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

? about my old Hpp3

Post by Walt »

Look who's back from the dead. Actually I never left, but I've turned into a creepy old man/forum lurker.

Maybe I can leech just a bit more knowledge from some folks that are smarter than I. :)

As most of you know, my CC was traded to the insurance company for me by an old guy driving a blazer. Ignore stop sign + 55mph + hitting Crewcab = forced trade in. I've been driving my wife's '98 Honda accord since then - until last week when my mom was driving it and hit a deer. Insurance totaled it. My father-in-law was nice enough to give me his 2001 Silverado 2500HD. It's a bit beat up, single cab, long wheel base, and only one speaker works, but I'm ecstatic to have a truck again, especially one that runs well and has a 6 liter V-8 under the hood.

I don't plan on doing anything to the exterior, but I will finally be reinstalling what's left of my audio system from my CC, which I might take pics of and post here if I have time.

Now on to my question: I still have my old HPP3 that I bought for my '01 CC. The little info I've seen on the internet suggests that I should be able to use it with this '01 Silverado. Can anyone confirm this for me? I don't have the unit or the box within reach at the moment--it's been in storage for a while, but I'd love to be able to use it again.

Thanks in advance for the input. And, sorry for my long windedness. :)

Peace.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: ? about my old Hpp3

Post by roadrunner »

Hey "creepy old lurker"! Glad to see you're still around. Can't speak to your hpp3 situation. Last time I looked up info on them I didn't check to see if v-6 and v-8 would swap as far as programming goes.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Hey Walt, did you ever use this programmer on your CC and if so did you return your CC back to stock before it was taken away? If the programmer is not Vin locked, you should be able to use it on a 2001 Silverado. Most of the Chevy/GMC Hypertech programmers support several models of the same year with different engines. The manual should list all of the applications works with.

Steve
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Yea, I returned my S-10 back to stock before I left the junk yard so the Programmer should be good--just hasn't been used in 5 years. :) The manual doesn't specify. The tag on the box states that it is a 30008 model and works with 2001 GM 4.3 liter engines.

This is what I'm getting, except it's the signature GM pewter/tan/whatever, 2WD, and slightly more "used".
2001_chevrolet_silverado-2500hd_regular-cab-pickup_ls_fq_oem_1_500.jpg
--Walt
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

From what I can find the 30008 is only for 2001 4.3L V6 Chevy/GMC trucks. It's one of the only models that doesn't support different sized engines within the same year. Hypertech doesn't even make these programmers anymore since they have newer updated models. I got one of the older models from Summit a few years back for my 05 Z when they were having a closeout. I think I only paid $100 for it and remember when they used to be closer to $300. Sell your HPPIII here and try to get one of the older models for cheap on e-bay for your new truck.

Steve
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Summit sent me a catalog today with part # HYP-30012 Truck/SUV 4.3/4.8/5.3/6.0/8.1L for $99.50 with free shipping. I am guessing this is what would work on your truck and the S10s?

Edit: it says not available
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hyp-30012
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Yep... talk about disappointment... plugged the hpp3 up to the truck and it told me to go jump in the river. :twisted:
--Walt
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Can your old Hpp3 still be used on another S-10 CC ? If so would you sell it to me ? My '02 needs to have those adjustments available. :bow:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

It will only work for a 2001 4.3... which makes my selling chances very dismal...
--Walt
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think the injection system changed in 2002? Still there may be someone with a 2001 that needs one?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I have an 01 but don't want to change the programming that's in there via Jesse Bubb. Can the current programming in the computer be maintained and just make changes for tire size etc or perhaps shift points without disturbing what's already programmed in if you know? Walt? Brule? Anybody?
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

roadrunner wrote:I have an 01 but don't want to change the programming that's in there via Jesse Bubb. Can the current programming in the computer be maintained and just make changes for tire size etc or perhaps shift points without disturbing what's already programmed in if you know? Walt? Brule? Anybody?
I really don't know. I suspect it would read what is there and not able to verify, it would not work. Or it would read it, store it and write new that may not have the alterations that have already been made.
All guesses. Hypertech technicians would be the ones to ask I suspect.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

From what I know, the hpp3 gets it's verification info from the VIN. I think it would read your info, save it, then completely overwrite it with its own tune.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
--Walt
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Walt wrote:From what I know, the hpp3 gets it's verification info from the VIN. I think it would read your info, save it, then completely overwrite it with its own tune.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
Kinda what I was suspecting. Not I would want to do.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

On another note, can any of you recommend a good fullsize forum? There are several I've seen, but I'd love to find one similar to our site here--good people and minimal drama.
--Walt
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Walt wrote:I'd love to find one similar to our site here--good people and minimal drama.
Good luck with that, that's why this site rocks! :rock:

I don't know anything about the full size sites out there, but I'm sure Brule has visted a few.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It can be a tough crowd on the other forums. I watch http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/ and http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/
Sift through and use what you can.
If you are looking for some mods, my page has listed a few. https://sites.google.com/site/bltoffroad/avalanche

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

roadrunner,

I had my PCM sent out and programmed. I then installed and used an HPP3. Works fine together. I used the HPP3 to change tire sizes from summer/winter tire changes. I sent it back to stock upon sale. No issues.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page