Random cab swap questions

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Random cab swap questions

Post by _STUCKY »

As some you may know, I am wanting to build a rather large truck. Well I had a brain storm the other day. There is a local kid with a red crew cab s10 that doesn't move and hasn't moved in a long time. I am currently trying to acquire it. My plan if I get it is to put it on the suburban frame I have and swap in my 1 ton axles. All suspension and motor tranny tcase would be totally non s10 related. The only thing s10 I want to use is the cab and all related comforts.

My question is, what would I need to do to get the electronics to work? Windows, locks, ect. Would windows be as simple as hard wiring the switch. Or since it all goes through the computer (I think?) would it be way more complicated than that? I could find some crank windows for the front, but I am not aware of anything I could do for the rear. I am not opposed to having front manual/ rear electric windows. Functional windows would be a must.

I don't think swapping in powered seats would be hard. I assume I could just hardwire them.

Radio would be easy.

Using stock gauges would be nice but wouldn't be hard to overcome.

If I do get the s10, the motor and possiblely the tranny/tcase will be going in my jeep, so the wiring for that will have to get pulled out. Cab mounts shouldn't be too hard to make. Steering would probably be full hydro.

Another option would be to use the s10 frame and cab, but that would mean different tranny/t case and solid axle swap. The suburban frame already has every suspension option I could dream of available for it, and the axle swap to 1 tons would be easy as pie.

This is all still in the planning phase. I have a clean 90 suburban frame, good running Tbi 350 and a supposedly good th400/np205, 4.10 geared gm Dana 60 and rear Dana 70 (can get a 14b pretty easy), all the springs I would need, and a few sticks of tube. There are plenty of k5s with regular and extended s10 cabs on them, but there is no way the crew cab would fit on a k5 frame. The suburban frame is a much better fit.

What ever happens, it will be a long term project. Thoughts? Input? Thanks ahead of time :D
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Random cab swap questions

Post by _STUCKY »

So is there any reason that I couldn't just run power to the rear door switches and slap on some manual crank front doors?
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by mars2878 »

The only part that I can help with the window regulators.
The rears are the same as a 4 door suv model.
The 4 door suv was available w/ manual Windows.
So converting to full manual is not an issue.
The only mod would be making a hole in the rear door panels for the crank handle.
Hope this helps.
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Yes it does, thank you.

I was talking to my mechanic buddy, and he thinks I could bypass anything that involves the computer regarding the windows. He also said that if I wanted to rig it up with only the rears being power that it wouldn't be too hard.

The more I think about all this, it may just be easier to swap the transfer case and put the axles under the s10.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-har ... oblem.html

Part#15005474 to go from s10 4l60e to np241c
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Sounds silly. Why not just put the suburban engine and trans, axles etc under the S10. I am not sure how all of the stuff for the crew would line up with a suburban, since they are a wider vehicle than the S10.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

The frame on the s10 is wider. It'd be easy(ish) to build body mounts. However, I have reading about solid axle swaps for the last few hours....
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Solid axle swap and v8 do it!!!!! LOL. Mine is almost done we are just waiting on the computer, finish the exhaust and then it needs a burn in test to make sure it does not overheat. This is probably the most awesome thing I ever threw 3 grand at.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ