No Air Flow to Foot Vents

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Aggie86

No Air Flow to Foot Vents

Post by Aggie86 »

Recently purchased a 2002 with 65k miles. Having some teething pains in the HVAC system. I have NO transmission fluid issues :rah: and have control of the fan speed and the temperature selection. However, I can not get any airflow to the feet. When airflow to the feet is selected all the air comes out of the defroster.

I checked out the vacuum solenoids and they seem to be scheduling just fine. They do not leak and extend and colapse fully. This leads me to believe that the flapper door that directs air between the floor and defroster is tango uniform. Its the door controlled by the lower vacuum solenoid.

How do you go about changing this thing? They are available for purchase but it seems like Chevy built the entire truck around it. Luckily summer is coming and the dash vents work just fine for A/C but I need to get this fixed before next winter in North Dakota.

Any points in the right direction are appreciated. :surrender:
Hartleybl
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: No Air Flow to Foot Vents

Post by Hartleybl »

do you hear a hissing sound coming from anywhere when you select floor vents.?? only thing i could think of would be a unhooked or stopped up vac hose.. i think literally everything Hvac wise on these trucks runs off vacuum wish i could help more but ive never encountered this problem with mine.. somewhere on this forum theres a " hot feet fix " write up.. it involves the floor vents and how it works hopefully someone else can chime in a be of more help
Aggie86

Post by Aggie86 »

Thanks for the response. I've had the bottom panels off and the actuators and the control check out fine. I'm almost certain that the bottom door that flips to direct air to the floor or up to the defroster is physically broken inside. Looking to find someone that has changed one or the guidance on how to do it. I'v seen the instructions on how to change a heater core bt this looks like the entire heater box would need to come out and be taken apart IOT get at the flapper.
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

There is a well documented issue that the door actuator arm gets weak because when it is selected to floor only it keeps pushing past where it needs to. After time the arm gets weak and it cannot hold it in place any longer. Google search s10 or blazer no floor vents. I have the same issue with mine and have just not had the time to take the lower panel off and verify or fix the issue.