Stock Muffler

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Stock Muffler

Post by HenryJ »

I still have my stock muffler sitting around, so I thought I'd add a picture of just how restrictive it really is-
ImageImage

It is difficult to get a focused photo of the little pipe that is in the center baffle, but it is , maybe 1" diameter. Granted there are probably two or three, but not only is the size very small the design just does not promote good flow characteristics.

It is no wonder that the truck is so quiet.

For those who may say the backpressure is needed for bottom end torque....:!: the cat offers more than enough back pressure, as will any good muffler. Heck even the correct length of straight pipe can be enough back pressure. (I do not currently have the software to calculate that. It may be too long to be practical in this application.)
Last edited by HenryJ on Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

It kinda reminds me of those "mufflers"/fat tailpipes that ricers put on their cars. 4-5" pipe out but only a 1" pipe going in! :lol:
shrubs2000
Crew
Crew

Post by shrubs2000 »

GaryH wrote:It kinda reminds me of those "mufflers"/fat tailpipes that ricers put on their cars. 4-5" pipe out but only a 1" pipe going in! :lol:
AKA "Fart Cannons"

If you want to see a restiction, I removed my "u-bend" from my Grand Prix. GM took a good exhaust pipe and smushed (technical term) it to half the size for the rear o2 sensor. I replaced it with a stright pipe and a nut for the o2 to plug in. There's a top picture on my cardomain site: http://members.cardomain.com/shrubs2000
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

Not to mention the stock mufflers are HUGE!!!!! I took mine off and replaced it with a dynomax that was 1/3 the size. it is still quiet but if you go around to where it exits it sounds pretty beastly.
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
Jim

Re: Stock Muffler

Post by Jim »

HenryJ wrote:I still have my stock muffler sitting around, so I thought I'd add a picture of just how restrictive it really is-
ImageImage

It is difficult to get a focused photo of the little pipe that is in the center baffle, but it is , maybe 1" diameter. Granted there are probably two or three, but not only is the size very small the design just does not promote good flow characteristics.

It is no wonder that the truck is so quiet.

For those who may say the backpressure is needed for bottom end torque....:!: the cat offers more than enough back pressure, as will any good muffler. Heck even the correct length of straight pipe can be enough back pressure. (I do not currently have the software to calculate that. It may be too long to be practical in this application.)
What if you took a hole saw with an extension and attempted to remove the small area?
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It would take a long extension and I am not sure how many baffles the pipe between the plates is attached to. Would the integrity of the muffler be then compromised?

More trouble than it is worth for no more than a free flowing muffler costs.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
drperry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by drperry »

The stock muffler on my Blazer looked suspiciously alot like the stock muffler that came on my parents' 1993 Suburban.

Massive. :lol:
2005 Chevy Blazer
5 Speed 4x4
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

Whats up all. Have'nt been here for awhile. If you really wanted to, you could do like i did to my motorcycle I had. Took a broom handle and ran it through the baffles. Sounded alot better.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Don't they have stock sounding mufflers that are also free flowing?
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]