service engine light

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

service engine light

Post by Justin »

about 10,000 miles into the truck, service engine light popped on and off normally on the highway and during heavy driving/stress on motor.... Dealer said missfire on #4 cylinder...they replaced all spark plugs.....came back again...dealer replaced spark plugs again and wires....It went off for a third time and they suggested to replace stock wires with aftermarket wires...I did that and just yesterday it went off again.....does anyone know where #4 is? I do have the exhaust leak at the manifold gasket on the passenger side of the truck...think that could do anything about it?
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Gee, I wouldn't be putting any aftermarket stuff on it. Let the dealer worry about it, it's under warranty. I can't believe they said to put after market wires on it. There is no need for it. Now they prob won't want to touch it cause there is somethign aftermarket on it. I would try a different dealer. Next time they may tell you to swap engines. :lol:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yes, i cant believe the dealer told you to do that. i hate dealers!!!! :x
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

..does anyone know where #4 is?
Right bank (pass. side) center plug.

I'd check the distributor cap and rotor for ash or corrosion build up on the contacts.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

tomorrow she goes in to have the passenger side manifold gasket replaced....I'll have them clear the code so maybe that will correct the problem....who knows
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

my code was going off because of the o2 sensor being broken in half and the pipe being almost bust off, and after it was replaced, i just uplugged the battery terminals for 2 hours and the code went away :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

OH YEAH...manifold leak is now gone, computer is reset...the exhasut sounds a bit deeper and the truck is running sweet....dealer said that the manifold gasket was ripped at #4 cylinder and exhaust was coming out of the top... I wonder if these engines, now that there are so many computer sensors and such, picked up bad compression or something stupid because of that.... :D :D :D