Difference between '01 - '04

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Difference between '01 - '04

Post by Yellow Hammer »

Does anyone know of any changes between the first 2001 Crew Cabs and the last 2004 Crew Cabs? I know that the ZR5 appearance package came out after '01 and I think the leather seats were not offered in '01 either. I have also seen that the front valance below the bumper is different but other than that I'm not sure. I'm curious to know what other people have that I don't as far as stock goes.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
Crew02
Crew
Crew

Post by Crew02 »

I know the radio opening for 01 is a double din size and a din and 1/2 for 02.
[size=75]2002 Crewcab - Best Mod XM Radio, 2" Body Lift, 30 X 9.5 BFG Long Trail, Factory Locker, T-Bar Crank , Rear Shackles. ORI PreRunner Bar, Hella 500 Lights.
1990 Jeep Wrangler, ARB lockers front/Rear, Winches Front/rear,4" suspension Lift, 2" body lift, 35" BFG Mud TA's, Geared 4:56.
Amateur Radio Operator KC4-IKR[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I am pretty sure there is a thread around that lists lots of differences.

2001 had lots of things standard that later became options. Console mounted cassette player, sliding rear window, lighted vanity mirrors, bed liner, under hood light, full size spare.
Some things changed in addition to the valance. The headliner, steel gas tank, chrome bumpers front and rear.

That is about all that I can think of right now.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

I didn't realize that most of the stuff on my truck that came standard was later listed as options. Did they jack up the prices to make more money or did the later models cost about the same with all the options as the '01?
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Other than the radio thing, most would be hard pressed to tell the difference between an '01 and a '02 but in '03 they changed a lot of things. Bumpers were painted instead of chrome, a lot of standard stuff became options, etc.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I think I got everything but the leather cass. player the 6disc changer and the ZR5 package.

I paid extra for the so called offroad tires and full size spare and the sliding rear window and the 3.73s other then that I dont think there was anything else. heres all the standards of the 04

Standard Features: All Standard Features
Transmission
4-Speed Electronically Controlled Automatic Transmission With Overdrive
Steering
Power Recirculating Ball Variable Assisted Steering
Tilt Steering Column
Suspension
Firm Ride Independent Front Suspension With Torsion Bar and Shock Absorbers
Firm Ride Dependent Live Rear Suspension With Leaf Springs and Shock Absorbers
28-mm Rear Stabilizer Bar
Electrical
Battery Saver Up To 20 Minutes
Delayed Power Retention System Operates Audio and Power Windows For Up To 20 Minutes
Front Power Outlet
525 Cold Cranking Amp Battery
Braking & Traction
4-Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes
Front Power 275-mm X 29-mm Disc and Rear Power 295-mm X 20-mm Disc Brakes
Insta-Trac(R) Part-Time 4-Wheel Drive
Automatic Locking Hubs
Push Button Transfer Case
Safety
Rear Outboard 3-Point Lap/Shoulder Seatbelts With Center Lap Belt
Driver Airbag
Passenger Airbag
Front Row and Second Row Automatic Locking Retractors
L A T C H
Side Guard Door Beams
Anti-Theft & Locks
Child Safety Door Locks Located On Rear Doors
Theftlock(R) Radio Anti-Theft
Selective Unlocking Via Remote Keyless Entry
Vehicle Anti-Lockout
Programmable Power Door Locks With Automatic Locking At 15 MPH or When Shifted Out Of Park
Vehicle Anti-Theft Via PassLock(R) Engine Immobilizer
Remote Controls & Remote Releases
Panic Button Sounds Horn and Flashes Lights
Keyless Entry Operated Via Key Fob
Multi-Function Remote Operates Door Lock/Unlock, Anti-Theft, Panic Alarm and Illuminated Entry
Seats
Deluxe Cloth Seat Trim
Rear Bench Seat With Integral Headrests
Front Dual Reclining Bucket Seats With Integral Headrests
Storage
Lower Console Storage Located On Floor
4 Front Cupholders and 2 Rear Cupholders, 6 Cupholders Total
Dual Front Door-Mounted Storage
Glovebox
Fleetside Body Style; Straight Side Pickup Bed
Cargo Area Tie-Down Hooks
Coinholder
Overhead Console Storage
Bedliner
Front Dual Seatback Storage Pockets
Instrumentation
Battery Gauge
Compass Located On Overhead Console
Cruise Control
Oil Pressure Gauge
Tachometer
Digital Clock
Warning Tones For Headlights-On, Turn Signal Reminder, Driver Seatbelt and Key-In-Ignition
Exterior Temperature Gauge Located On Overhead Console
Interior Lighting
Delayed Courtesy Light
4 Map Lights Located On Overhead Console
Exterior Lighting
Halogen Headlights
Daytime Running Lights
Automatic Headlights With Dusk Sensor
Entertainment, Communication & Navigation
AM/FM Radio With Seek/Scan, Speed Sensitive Volume and 4 Speakers Total; CD Player
Pre-Programmed Equalizer
Radio Antenna
Radio Data System
Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning
Manual Air Conditioning
Interior, Design, Decor & Floor Covering
Color-Keyed Carpeting Located In Passenger Cabin
Leather Steering Wheel
Doors
Fold-Down Tailgate
Removable Tailgate
Wheels & Tires
Compact Spare Tire
Underbody Tire Carrier
SBRP235/70R15 BSW, All-Season Tires
Alloy Wheels, 15-In. X 7-In.
Windows, Mirrors & Wipers
Solar Ray(R) Deep Tinted Privacy Glass On Rear Windows
Dual Black Power Heated Folding Exterior Rearview Mirrors
Passenger Vanity Mirror
Power Windows With Driver One-Touch Down
Solar-Ray(R) Tinted Glass
Dual Color-Keyed Cloth Sunvisors
Variable Intermittent Windshield Wipers
Exterior, Design, Paint & Finish
Body Color Rear Step Bumper
Body Color Front Air Dam
Metallic (If Selected)
Crew Cab
Body Color Front Bumper
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I have yet to find the 2 rear cup holders they speak of :x
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeff024 wrote:I have yet to find the 2 rear cup holders they speak of :x
I'm betting that the
28-mm Rear Stabilizer Bar
is missing too.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Ummm yes it is HJ
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

I've been looking for those rear cup holders since I bought my truck back in September of '01.

Roll Tide!![/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

My '02 has black bumpers, full size spare and sliding rear glass. Oh yeah, I found out the hard way not to use the wife's key fob entry (our key chains are similar) :lol:

Wondered why the darn seat was all the way forward and the mirrors all screwed up when I would unlock my CC :roflmao:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I thought the engine programming was different also? Isn't this why there are different part #'s for the HPPIII's?

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:I thought the engine programming was different also? Isn't this why there are different part #'s for the HPPIII's?

Steve
I suspect that they made them that way to sell more HPP IIIs. They recognize the year by the vin number.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:I thought the engine programming was different also?
Yes , different injectors, EGR system is different...and the list continues :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Crew02 wrote:I know the radio opening for 01 is a double din size and a din and 1/2 for 02.
I think you got that backwards :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Yellow Hammer wrote:I've been looking for those rear cup holders since I bought my truck back in September of '01.
I'm betting they're counting the ability to flip the center console backwards to have those pseudo cup holders that are molded into the top of the console cover.

either that, or they just copied the list from the Blazer - hence the rear stabilizer bar, and my Blaze does have some indentations in the door panel armreasts that serve as cupholders, although not very good ones.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

we have cup holders in the front doors , holds a 20oz bottle well then just the 2 in the center but nowhere to be found in the rear
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

copied from http://media.gm.com/
Vortec 4300 4.3L V6 (LG3/LU3) Truck Engines

2003 Model Year Summary

� RPO L35 Eliminated
� Quiet Cam for LU3
� Powertrain Control Module and Software with Additional Monitoring Functions
� On Road Vapor Recovery (ORVR) for Chevrolet S-10 and GMC Sonoma Crew Cabs
� Improved Oxygen Sensors for Chevrolet Astro and GMC Safari
� Solid State Oil-Pressure Sensor For Chevrolet Express and Silverado and GMC Savana and Sierra
� Common Accessory Drive Fasteners for Express and Savana

FULL DESCRIPTIONS OF NEW OR CHANGED FEATURES

RPO L35 ELIMINATED
All remaining applications for the Vortec 4300 4.3L V6 (L35) have ended, including: the Chevrolet S10, Blazer, and Express, the GMC Sonoma, Jimmy and Savana, 49-state Chevrolet Silverados and GMC Sierras and the P Truck (a square delivery-style truck now manufactured by Workhorse Custom Chassis). In all cases except the P-Truck (see P-TRUCK APPLICATION ELIMINATED), the L35 will be replaced by the LU3 variant of the Vortec 4300, which was introduced for model year 2002 in Chevrolet Astro, GMC Safari, and Silverados and Sierras built for sale in California.

The 4.3L was developed for optimum performance with all types of fuel; differences between the LU3 and L35 lie entirely in the fuel system. The LU3 replaces Sequential Central Port Injection (SCPI) with Multipoint Fuel Injection (MFI), using the same Multec II fuel injectors found in many GM engines. These state-of-the-art injectors feature a stainless-steel director plate. They reduce fuel leakage 66 percent, maintain more consistent performance under hot-fuel conditions and greatly reduce the potential for plugging due to contamination. In the 4.3L LU3, electrical connections are extended from the L35�s centrally located injector drivers to the injectors (operated electrically rather than by a fuel pressure pulse) at the intake ports. The 4.3L LU3�s intake manifold is identical to that used on the L35.

The Vortec 4300 requires slight packaging modifications for installation in the redesigned Express and Savana. The engine is essentially the same as the LU3 used in the Silverado and Sierra, but the dipstick and oil-fill tubes are extended for application in full-size vans. The oil pan requires a slight scallop in its sump to accommodate the van�s front suspension.

P-TRUCK APPLICATION ELIMINATED
With production of the heavy-duty 4.3L L35 ending, the Vortec 4300 will no longer be offered in the P Truck.

QUIET CAM FOR LU3
The 4.3L LU3 will be equipped with a ``quiet cam�� designed to reduce vibration and mechanical noise at both idle and high engine speeds. The new camshaft has no effect on engine output or dynamic performance. Maximum valve lift and duration do not change, but the lobes have been re-profiled to keep the valve lifters in full contact with the cam as the lobes ramp down. The cam significantly reduces noise at high rpm and delivers what customers perceive as a smooth, strong, confident engine sound.

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE AND SOFTWARE WITH ADDITIONAL MONITORING FUNCTIONS
A new Powertrain Control Module (PCM), called P59, manages the 4.3L LU3. This PCM increases clock speed from 21 to 24 MhZ and doubles memory (1.1 megabyte) compared to its predecessor. It also provides one of the most sophisticated engine control systems in the industry. The P59 is common to the LU3 and all gasoline-powered Vortec V8 truck engines.

Commonality offers the advantage of reducing inventory complexity and increasing efficiency at various assembly plants. More important, the P59 offers the most precise engine management possible, optimizing performance according to temperature or operating conditions and virtually eliminating unintended variation in every function it controls, from ignition timing to fuel delivery to transmission shift points. It also allows GM Powertrain engineers to monitor more engine operations and improves the accuracy and robustness of the OBDII (for On-Board Diagnostics) system.

For example, the PCM now measures electrical current flowing to the oxygen (O2) sensors on vehicles equipped with the 4.3L LU3 (crucial components of the emissions-control system). Previously, the O2 sensors were monitored with a time-to-activity algorithm, which required more measurement latitude to ensure proper operation. The new PCM immediately reports a malfunction in an O2 sensor with virtually no margin for misreporting. It also allows a new Engine Off Natural Vacuum diagnostic (EONV) for the On Road Vapor Recovery system (ORVR), which reduces evaporative emissions by preventing gasoline vapor from escaping the vehicle into the atmosphere. With EONV, the PCM actually continues to operate when the engine is turned off, monitoring pressure in the fuel tank and ORVR system. If pressure bleeds off more quickly than ambient temperature and other conditions indicate, the PCM can determine whether the system has a leak, even when the vehicle is parked. The new PCM ensures that the LU3 operates according government emissions regulations. And thanks to its precision, it will also reduce the number of false alarms-- OBDII ``service engine�� warning lights--that require dealer intervention.

ON ROAD VAPOR RECOVERY (ORVR) FOR CHEVROLET S-10 AND GMC SONOMA CREW CABS
S-10 and Sonoma Crew Cabs equipped with the 4.3L LU3 now carry an ORVR system. The system is virtually identical to that on other trucks powered by the LU3. The evaporative canister has 3.1 liters volume, with a leak-detection standard of .020 inches. While there is no obvious change for the customer, ORVR reduces evaporative emissions by preventing gasoline vapor from escaping into the atmosphere. The LU3�s OBDII system constantly monitors ORVR. Leaks greater than .020 inches in diameter would be indicated with a warning light in the vehicle�s instrument panel.

IMPROVED OXYGEN SENSORS FOR CHEVROLET ASTRO AND GMC SAFARI
The 4.3L LU3s installed in the Astro and Safari are equipped with new O2 sensors. The new sensors are required for the new PCM current-monitoring function. They also heat more quickly, allowing the exhaust emissions system to achieve �closed loop�� operation--maximum emissions reduction--in about half the time.

SOLID-STATE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR FOR CHEVROLET EXPRESS AND SILVERADO AND GMC SAVANA AND SIERRA
The 4.3L LU3s built for these four applications use a fully electronic, solid-state oil pressure sensor (other applications have an analog/mechanical sensor). The Express, Silverado, Savana and Sierra have electronic instrument packages, and the solid-state sensor is required to drive the oil pressure gauge.

COMMON ACCESSORY DRIVE FASTENERS FOR EXPRESS AND SAVANA
With redesign of the Express and Savana, all accessory drive fasteners on 4.3L LU3s built for this application match those on Vortec V8s. Nuts and bolts for alternator and AC compressor mounting brackets, pulleys, etc., will have the same size. This allows assembly associates to install accessories on various engines without changing tools.

OVERVIEW
The Vortec 4300 remains one of GM Powertrain's highest volume engines. This 4.3-liter V6 was developed in the mid-1980s by removing two cylinders from the legendary small block V8. Counter-rotating balance shafts were introduced to balance primary crank vibration in the 90-degree block. The low-end torque delivery of an overhead-valve engine matched with continued improvements in noise, vibration and harshness control and the latest electronic controls have kept the Vortec 4300 at the forefront of V6 truck engines.

The Vortec 4300 remains one of the best V6 engines available. It delivers excellent torque and good specific output in an economical, high-value package, and it continues to surpass increasingly stringent government emissions standards.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nodamean

Post by nodamean »

What's different underneath? I have an 2004 ZR5 and I've been doing some research and price checking on parts and kits for lifting it. I keep running into things that say they will fit everything through 2003. Rough Country 3" lift for one. (Yeah I know, I'm not even going to try that one. It's just an example.)

Are people (not here of course) just unaware that GM was still making the S10 in 2004? It did overlap the launch of the Colorado/Canyon for that year, but I think the 2004 S-10 was only made in the crew cab configuration. I can't imagine that they really made any changes for the final year of production.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

nodamean wrote:What's different underneath? I have an 2004 ZR5 and I've been doing some research and price checking on parts and kits for lifting it. I keep running into things that say they will fit everything through 2003.
Most just never updated the coverage years.
You are right they are the same.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

The 2004 was the last year for the S10 Crew and it was only a 1/2 year production run. Most manufacturers just did not bother to update their catalogs to reflect the model year. There are a few differences but mostly they are the same. Most parts will fit but if in doubt you can contact the manufacturer of the parts you are looking at and they should be able to confirm if it will fit.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]