Fuel Filler Neck Pipe Leak - Best Fix?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

ZR5OnIt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fuel Filler Neck Pipe Leak - Best Fix?

Post by ZR5OnIt »

I have the dreaded "fuel spits out when filling up" issue. Did a search on this site & found that quite a few of us have experienced this. It's not clear, however, which repair method worked best. There is a TSB #03-06-04-058 on this problem that recommends replacing the filler neck with a new one, P/N 15124302 that has an updated check valve. Looks like some folks tried other methods, and some just replaced the entire tank. Couple quick questions for those that have had this issue:
-Did you replace the filler neck as recommended in the TSB?
-If not, how'd you fix it?
I wanna fix this ASAP for obvious safety reasons, but just wanna make sure I get the right parts. Thanks for yall's help.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think that you may be confused here? Those that replaced their fuel tanks did so because the filler neck at the fuel tank cracked. This leaks fuel and is unrelated to the upper filler neck spitting back fuel when filling.

I haven't heard of anyone who has installed the new upper filler neck with the check valve.
GMpartsdirect wrote:GM PART # 15124302
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
GM LIST: $93.50
OUR PRICE: $55.17
DESCRIPTION: PIPE
Last edited by HenryJ on Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

look very close to see exactly where the fuels leaking .
mine leaked where the neck joined the tank But its the plastic tank so there is no way to just replace it
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
ZR5OnIt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ZR5OnIt »

Thanks for the advice, local Chevy dealer diagnosed the problem as the filler neck (yeah, I know, trust those guys bout as far as you can throw them). It's tough to see exactly where the leak is cause it's under the bed, but it looks like you're right, it's the tank itself that has the crack in it, not the separate filler neck. Glad I just picked up the truck instead of letting them charge me to fix it! Oh well, time to look for a new tank. Thanks again.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

good luck finding a used tank and I think the new tanks are around 300 bucks

I used a tube of PLastic Steel and just shoved it all around the leak and its been fine for over 2 months .

At some point with it leaking it will set a light off

It set my service Engine light but I was able to clear it with my HPPlll
Last edited by jeff024 on Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What year is your truck?
Does your truck have a body lift?
Is the leak activating the MIL?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ludwis
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ludwis »

Hey guys,

I have a 2003 crew cab that had this problem. I saw that there was a TSB on it so I took it to the dealer under warranty. This was at least 8 months ago and I haven't had any issues since. Before I had it fixed every single time I filled her up it would spit fuel all over the ground as the pump stopped.

Works great now...take yours to the dealer under warranty. If they say nothing is wrong englighten them with the TSB number.

Good Luck
2003 S10 Crew 4x4
Mods: 1.5" Front Spacers - GM Valley Hitch - WeatherTech WeatherFlectors - Bilstein Shocks - Boise Spring works 2" rear spring kit - Truxedo Toneau Cover - PopLock tailgate lock - Hypertech Tuning - SKIDS Flares - 2" Body Lift - ZR2 Axle upgrade
ZR5OnIt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ZR5OnIt »

Yeah, that's the exact problem I got, spitting fuel on the ground, only when filling tank to the very top. Gas shot out so fast, I couldn't see where it was coming from. Afterwards, it leaked a little from somewhere near the top, but the whole top of the tank was wet and most of it is hidden under the vehicle. Leak stopped shortly after and didn't leak again. Mine is a 2003 as well, no body lift. Thing is, I recently bought it used, so I don't think there is any warranty left. Dealer wanted $235 to replace the filler pipe per the TSB. I need to examine the situation more closely, so I'm gonna take the tank off this weekend, find the exact spot of the leak then go from there.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I am a little confused here. If it is kicking it out of the filler tube opening when filling, there is bound to be some fuel that runs down the neck to the tank and drips off.

That would be an issue resolved with the new upper filler neck.

If when you fill it with fuel the tank leaks, that is a different story.

neither scenario would warrant pulling the tank for inspection. That is overkill and lots of work. If indeed the tank requires replacement and is cracked the MIL will be lit since the tank will not build vacuum. If it is not then your issue is with the upper filler neck and I would suggest buying the part to replace yourself. It should not be that difficult.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ZR5OnIt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ZR5OnIt »

The gas does not come out back through the filler tube opening, where you stick the nozzle. It spits out somewhere near the top of the tank, under the bed, right when the tank is at its fullest. Like I said, I can't see the exact spot because the top of the tank is hidden underneath the truck bed. All I know is, I'm filling up and then Sploosh! a pint or so of gas shoots out from somewhere under there, wets the top of the tank, and spills onto the ground. Freaked me the hell out. I'll research this further with an assistant. Stay tuned.
BTW, no MIL coming on, but oddly, it did throw the SES light, code PO420. Maybe this means I should blaze one, just not next to the truck :wink:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

ZR5OnIt wrote:it did throw the SES light, code PO420. Maybe this means I should blaze one, just not next to the truck :wink:
:lol: That's a good one! :roflmao: Make sure you get that tank fixed, or you may have a really good blaze one of these days. :shock:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You may need to pull the plastic flap in the LR fenderwell to get a good view of the tank filler neck. As I understand it the area that cracks is right around the neck to tank interface.
I would suggest using a flashlight rather than a lighter to see where the leak might be ;) Be sure to check hose connections to make sure they are correct and tight. If the fuel pump assy has been replaced , perhaps the o-ring was damaged or incorrectly assembled? Lots of things to check.

P0440 is the code that should set. The tank must be between 15-85% capacity, barometric pressure more than 75kpa, ignition voltage between 10-18 volts, ECT 39-86F degrees, IAT 39-86F and within 16F of each other.
This will not set on the first failed test.

Tank replacement may be your best option , if indeed the crack is what you find. Since you do not have a bodylift this looks like an issue with the tank. GM should be advised of this safety issue. Perhaps they will offer a "Good faith" repair at their expense. NHTSA should also be notified in such a case.

Let us know what you find :mg:

Oh! One thing I have been wondering about is the potential for JB Weld's "Water Weld"to be a repair for situations like this.
Water Weld wrote:...surfaces to be repaired do not need to be clean and dry. WATERWELD putty "mushrooms" through and around holes, grabbing the edges to hold securely, then hardening for a permanent seal....WATERWELD will plug or seal practically anything that leaks. It will patch holes and cracks, and mend almost anything that is broken. It is excellent for rebuilding or fabricating parts, and as an all-purpose adhesive for metals, wood, fiberglass, masonry, ceramics, PVC and ABS. Permanently repair holes, gouges, cuts ...It's water-proof; petroleum-, chemical-, and acid-resistent...you can use it to plug holes and make permanent repairs under water and in gas tanks -- while they're still leaking. No exaggeration -- this is the best epoxy putty you can use.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

My cracked filler neck didn't set an SES light until after the dealership "updated" the fuel gauge calibration per a TSB from about 2 1/2 years ago. I drove it for at least 4-6 months with the leak and no SES light. But once they did the PCM update, the light popped on soon after. They blamed my leak on the BL, but it sounds like those without BL's are having issues also. That should be a recall item from GM as far as I'm concerned. It cost me over $800 to replace the tank...I want my money back! :x
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
ZR5OnIt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mystery Solved!

Post by ZR5OnIt »

Took a fresh set of eyes, but I found the problem. It's the seal around the fuel pump! Thanks Henry for the tip. I had to fill it slowly while looking all around. The filler neck seems fine, no apparent cracks in the tank, though when I remove the tank, I'll doublecheck this. Master of The Obvious Lesson #47: Do all your homework before pricing stuff. I'll pull the tank off this weekend, time permitting.
BTW, called dealer for grins, just to see what they'd charge to fix it.
Parts: $7.00
Labor: $385
They think I'm paying that, they must be throwing Code PO 420. :wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you are careful is there room to get the retaining ring and all the connections loose , without dropping the tank?

Without a bodylift this may likely be impossible. It sure would save a bunch of work if you could "eeek" a new seal in there without dropping the tank though.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
bigbadbikerdan

Post by bigbadbikerdan »

I'm a new member and first time poster. I recently aquired a 2003 CC and have noticed this problem. However, it is definitely coming out of the top of the filler when I top it off. It them runs down the side of the bed. Will the new filler neck solve this problem? If so, what is the part #? How much? Etc.? :?:
[size=75]2003 Crew Cab S-10. All stock (for now)except for a Roady 2 XM receiver.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

bigbadbikerdan wrote:... Will the new filler neck solve this problem? If so, what is the part #? How much? Etc.? :?:
The TSB says it is the answer.
HenryJ wrote:...the new upper filler neck with the check valve.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
wnyred
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Fuel Filler Neck Pipe Leak - Best Fix?

Post by wnyred »

HenryJ wrote:
bigbadbikerdan wrote:... Will the new filler neck solve this problem? If so, what is the part #? How much? Etc.? :?:
The TSB says it is the answer.
HenryJ wrote:...the new upper filler neck with the check valve.
I know this is an old thread,but all the threads i found on this topic were old.
That part number,is that all you need to replace(the only part that rusts out),or is there a whole assembly. If this is the top portion of the filler neck. Ive looked at it,but have'nt seen it dissassembled.Awhile back a shop diagnosed my check eng light,and figured out that was part of the issue. They didnt have a new one. They rigged it put it back in havent had a problem. Now i have a problem. I joined the new fuel pump club,unfortunately aways from home,well they changed that,reassembled everything w/ the old neck.i thought i had a new filler neck riding around w/ me,but turns out its for a blazer(ahhh online customer svc,had called and questioned this,after i looked at the set up in the truck,and was told oh you have the right one). Now im haviing leak issues,and i want to eliminate any chance the neck is leaking. So when they fix the sending unit that is'nt working already two days later, I want to know its done before i head home,again.....As it is,i specifically asked for one of the three fuel pumps talked about on here. Discovered later they put in a carter,and never even said anything. I figured it out by the number on the receipt. :rant:
This is an 01,with a metal tank i believe.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Try reading this thread: Evap Vent Valve Filter I know the title doesn't sound quite right, but you will find the information you seek about the correct filler neck.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
wnyred
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by wnyred »

Thanks,Im waiting to hear from customer svc at GMPARTSDIRECT. The description just says pipe,so i wanted to confirm with them before ordering. That part doesnt come up in the adjacent catalog. A dealer said he could order the part for 135, so will see if the website gets back to me.Thanks.
wnyred
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by wnyred »

Website just got back to me.
Message Text: I need a fuel filler neck. Someone gave me the part number 15124302. I can't find it in the catalog,but it does come up in a part number search. Can you confirm this is a fuel filler neck for a crew cab s-10?Thanks.

www.GmPartsDirect.com. We look forward to receiving your order. I have entered your supplied information into our licensed GM parts catalog and below are the part numbers requested and are verified as being correct per the VIN supplied.

15761471 Fuel Tank Filler Pipe

(
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cf ... r=15761471 )
This is 133 dollars,Im not sure if its just a price/part number change or what.This is for a 2001 LS. Im a little paranoid as i already have one for a blazer a different sight confirmed was the right part. Hmmmm.
wnyred
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by wnyred »

I ended up getting the fuel filler neck assy at Keller Chevrolet. It was $133,That part number the website gave me was the right number for the whole assy w/hoses.
PN-15761471