actually engaging in 2wd

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

actually engaging in 2wd

Post by Justin »

all this talk about 4wd...how are you technically supposed to engage..I had a jeep wrangler before and I would put it in neutral at a stop to engage....Now people are saying you are supposed to engage while moving...Whenever I am stuck (rarely :lol: ), i put veronica in neutral and push the 4x4 button and it flashes..sometimes it doesnt engage and it engages when i put it in drive. How does everyone else do it?
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

you can engage 4HI while moving up to like 45mph...or something.

for 4LO, stop, put in neutral, then click 4LO and wait for it to engage. then put in drive and go.

FYI, be easy on it, switching the transfer case on and off can be tricky. dont like give it alot of gas at the same time when you push the button.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Exactly what Hobie said...and...when shifting into 4HI, make sure all wheels are moving as close to the same speed as possible. Don't just punch the 4HI button while you're sitting ther spinning the rear wheels when stuck.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

I realize this...I let my girlfriend borrow veronica one morning with 6" of snow on top of an icy driveway and i saw my girlfriend step on the gas, spin the rear tires and push the 4hi....I was like :x but the female powers turned me to :?
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Justin wrote:but the female powers turned me to :?

They always do, don't they? :)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
seapahn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by seapahn »

a2b wrote:you can engage 4HI while moving up to like 45mph...or something.

for 4LO, stop, put in neutral, then click 4LO and wait for it to engage. then put in drive and go...

Minor clarification being that you have to be in 4HI before trying to go into 4LO.

To get out of 4LO, again you should be stopped (or moving below 3-5MPH), in neutral ... press the button for 4HI and wait till the shift is complete. Then drive.

I have auto-trac tcase so I can engage Auto 4x4 at any time, even on dry pavement. 4HI you can also engage at ANY speed, but you don't want to do it on dry pavement for extended periods of time.

For most offroading that I do, I am either in 2WD or 4LO. I rarely use Auto 4x4 or 4HI. Actually, I find 4HI to be pretty useless since I can most often get by just on 2WD or in auto mode. 4LO is nice though :)
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

seapahn wrote:
a2b wrote:you can engage 4HI while moving up to like 45mph...or something.

for 4LO, stop, put in neutral, then click 4LO and wait for it to engage. then put in drive and go...

Minor clarification being that you have to be in 4HI before trying to go into 4LO.

:!: what? i do that all the time. i go from 2wd then switch to 4-LO :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]