Whistling Noise

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Freeser

Whistling Noise

Post by Freeser »

I've been on a few of these forums and I noticed there are a few of you guys who have the same problem. I have a 2003 S-10 Crew Cab, about 5500 miles, and the thing is making a whistling noise that's starting to make me crazy. These are the facts as I've been able to determine so far. It seems to make the sound during acceleration when its in the 1,500 to 1,600 RPM range. It's most apparent during moderate to aggressive acceleration. If I set the cruise control right in that range (1,500 RPM about 53 mph) you can still hear the noise, but it's very faint (maybe due to road noise and etc?) I've shifted the thing into neutral and reved it up to the range and it still makes the noise, so I'm guessing it's not a transmission thing. Sometimes when I drive for a while and get it warmed up, then I shut down, if I restart after a short time it won't make the noise. I've tried sticking my head under the hood and had someone rev the thing to the range, and you can hear it inside the truck but nothing under the hood. Almost sounds like the whistle you get with a turbo on a semi-truck. Doesn't seem to effect the trucks perfomance, but it sure sounds like crap. I can drive it at low speeds around town, and keep it right in that RPM range and it will just keep whistling, plan as day, just like clock work. It doesn't do it 100% of the time, but darn near. I had it into the dealer a few weeks ago, and because I'd driven the thing, warmed it up, shut it down, then restarted, it wouldn't make the dang sound....naturally. Whew!. I think that's about everything. The biggest certainty of the whole deal is that it always seems to do it just as I'm going through that particular RPM range. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I'm no mechanic by any stretch, but I'm thinking that maybe it has something to do with either the Exhaust system or the Alternator, but again, that's just a shot in the dark. I love the truck dearly, and being it's my first new rig I'm probably real picky, but this thing just does not sound right. Help!
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

well freeser, welcome to the board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so i havent had this problem. not that i dont have others, but the only thing close to that i had was related to the EGR. but i know some other guys have figured some stuff out with theirs and they will be here probably soon. good luck!
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
TC

Whistling Noise

Post by TC »

Hey Freeser,

Welcome to the club. I have a 2002 C.C. and it does the same thing, however at a different rpm. When I first heard the problem, it was consistent at 2500 rpm right before it shifted gears between first and second. The rest of the gears were fine. At first it wasn't that bad, just annoying. I originally thought it might be an exhaust leak but I guess I was wrong. It progressively got worse and started happening in all gears. Then I took it to the local dealer and he said he replaced the alternator. It did cure the problem temporarily until it recently started coming back again. It now only happens between 2nd and 3rd gear at 2500 rpm. I haven't taken it back to the dealer yet but plan to. I have read about other members having the same problem. Hopefully others will respond with a definite cure.

TC
TC

Whistling Noise

Post by TC »

Hey a2b, I'm curious to know about the EGR you mentioned. Can you give me some details?

Thanks,

TC
pbeachcruzer
Regular
Regular

Post by pbeachcruzer »

do you have a throttle body riser? if so, that is where the whisteling is coming from.
flowmaster duals, air raid intake, t.b. riser. 1.3"spacers in back.

lift with kick a55 tires to come soon
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

pbeachcruzer wrote:do you have a throttle body riser? if so, that is where the whisteling is coming from.

My throttle body spacer doesnt whistel. I have the power aid one, which one do you have?
TC

Post by TC »

I don't have a throttle body spacer and it still whistles. Does it whistle when you install one?

TC