Wiper Blades

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Wiper Blades

Post by Cajun »

Split topic-HJ

I have replaced my wiper blades with TRICO - Innovision Blade available from O'Reilly Auto Parts. They are the best I've ever used.
[size=75]03 ZR5 Crew Cab[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have been using the cheap Ansco wipers. I tried some more expensive brands, but I end up needing to change them annually anyway. $7.50 for a pair of blades with wipers is better than $25 for others.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I threw the TRICO - Innovision Blade on my wife's car to check them out a yr ago. Unfortunately I haven't been in my wife's car to check them out and bought them for the CC. I recently borrowed her car and they were appalling after just a yr. They are super when first installed but if, mine are like her's in a few months then, I have to say they are a bad investment.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

RainX
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

BADs Crew wrote:RainX
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I tried some "triple" sumthi'n blades, Bosch, Advantage. They all worked pretty well. After a year in the sun and dirt, they were all ready to be replced by wintertime.

What size blades are you all using? I think I have a 21" left side and 19" right hand.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

My one part store called for 20" ones on both sides.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Just checked mine. I am running 20" LH (drivers) and 18" RH (passenger)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

HenryJ wrote:I tried some "triple" sumthi'n blades, Bosch, Advantage. They all worked pretty well. After a year in the sun and dirt, they were all ready to be replced by wintertime.

What size blades are you all using? I think I have a 21" left side and 19" right hand.
I used them on our Blazer once. They worked great. I found them at Costco but now I just can't find them.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Paul Harvey advertises a triple blade with lifetime warranty that wallyworld carries. I tried them and they lasted a yr. If, you wanna hassle with shipping them back to get a new set then you might want to try them.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I have the Trico Innovision blades on my SS and CC with mixed results. Both vehicles are also bi-annually treated with Rain-X. The Innovisions work pretty good on the CC :D , however they chatter real bad on my SS. :? These are great blades when they are new, but like most of you have said they still need to be changed once a year. :( Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I had 1 Innovision blade replaced at no cost because the blade partially separated from the frame within 2 weeks of use. :shock: Would you believe this happened to me while driving around in one of the biggest rain storms of the year. :twisted:

I got 20's on both sides. 8) :lol:

Steve
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I have the Rain-X brand 20"ers on both sides. Still seem to work pretty good after about a yr. Every oil change I pull out an alcohol cleaning pad and clean all the junk off the rubber blades, and it seems to extend the life, as well as adding the better vision without blade replacement.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

http://www.teeveesupply.com/product_pag ... fedron.htm
(first google hit, there are cheeper and better places to buy)

This stuff is great to keep around for rubber parts like wipers and the sort. I used it back in the day for printer rollers and I keep it around for mainly wipers but also the rubber seals around windows and doors etc.

A set of el'cheepo wipers last me several years, usually until the plastic parts fail.
During oil changes I wipe down the wipers with a little of this and they last forever.
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

HenryJ wrote:I tried some "triple" sumthi'n blades, Bosch, Advantage. They all worked pretty well. After a year in the sun and dirt, they were all ready to be replced by wintertime.

im using 16`s on my truck. seem to cover more than enough area for me...
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I've been using cheapo $3 replacements from the local costcutters and just replace 'em 2 or 3 times a year. I've found they all work great for a few months but, dry out and turn to crap after about that long baking in the sun. So, why spend $20 per blade twice a year? I get a year's worth of cheapos for less than one "good" blade.

20" both sides although the pass side needs a little bending/adjusting to fit right on the curve of the glass.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

oh and there's a lot of wiper blade info this old thread
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Just switched over to the Anco winter wiper blades, and rainx-ed the winsheild, while I changed oil/filter and lubed. I know some of you guys :( on the Fram filters, but I like them & have used them with no problems. I used the Fram high milage HM3980 filter and Quaker State 10W30 full synthetic, and Lucas grease for the lube.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

Fram, Quakerstate AND Lucas, man you must really NOT like your truck.

J/K

The wifes Bravada was needing blades every two or three months, once I started cleaning them (with the RainX) they lasted ALOT longer. I just replaced them again because I figured it was about time. I used the ~$7 Trico blades this time, Wallyworld specials last time.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Anybody try the Scrublades?

I am reading some good reviews from the 4x4 enthusiasts.

scrublade.com

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Hadn't heard of them before. I can't keep wipers on the heep but, can't order those. "Out of stock".
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:can't order those. "Out of stock".
What size do you need?
JCWhitney has the 11" and 12"

Extremeoutback shows them too.

I have wasted money on all sorts of wiperblades. I tell everyone to just buy the cheap ones and replace them when the performance is poor. I keep a spare set in my truck all the time.

So why don't I listen? :crazy: I ordered a set :shock:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

BADs Crew wrote:RainX
BIG +1

I think they run $10 for em at Advance here. One thing im very picky about, is having a clean windshield, and rain x on my windshield so I can see in the rain. Im glad rain X came out with their own windshield washer fluid, much easier to apply.

But whatever windshield wiper blade you get, wont do you to much good if its dirty, make sure you clean the blade off every now and then, im sure it will improve its life, and work even better.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Cleaning the blades is good advice. Many over look that. I keep some alcohol wipes in the truck for medicinal uses. They also serve to clean the blades. Easy to pinch and wipe clean the blades.

I like RainX too, but will admit that I don't apply it very often. I usually just wax the windshield when I do the rest of the truck.
I am not too sure how I feel about using the wiper fluid. I am a little worried about what the fluid does to the paint. Long term effect. I have seen some bad stuff on older rigs. It may be apples and oranges, but cool clear water is all I really want on my paint. I know that is impossible.
I use washer fluid sparingly.

My hope is with the scrubber design of these new blades there will be a performance gain. I am not crazy about the twin blade design as this can add additional loads to the wiper motor. That can lead to premature failure. There is also the issue of debris being trapped in between them. We will see how they handle mud and dry silt. Ice tests will have to wait a while as spring may finally be here. Bug tests will be first ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I am not a fan of the dual blade wipers. Might be ok in the summer. But in the winter here in Michigan, they pack-up on cold slushy days. Running the defroster on high with the windows down is ok. Until a truck passes and splasses you!

I like Rain-x. But forget to reaply it too. I have been having really good luck with the Rain-x added to the wizzer fluid. But I never considered what it might be doing to the rest of the truck. Now you have me thinking.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

RainX (original) is super for windows, mc helmet chields. mc windshields but, their wiper blades are junk. Bought a set before Moab and basically parked the CC afterwords. Fired it up to make a parks run and they had separated. I will give other sources for Brule's find, a chance, but, if, the manufacturer is out of stock................ :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I ordered from Extremeoutback.com
Their price was better even though handling seems a bit steep.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

JCW was cheaper for me. 3 sets for $83 including shipping. Only time will tell. :wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Should be a good test. JCW didn't have my size :(

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:...... JCW didn't have my size :(
For which vehicle? They had the CC's size.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Musta missed it. Yes the crew cab. One 17" and one 19".

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Musta missed it. Yes the crew cab. One 17" and one 19".
Dayem! Whatever I ordered, I ordered two of them and they were the same length. Never try to order crap while getting ready for work. We'll see what arrives and maybe provide a long overdue review of JCW's. customer service.

While we are here on a vendor's topic, I need to throw a plug in for David at NorthRidge.com! He works on the rigs, wheels them, gives free shipping on orders over $100 and really knows his stuff!

The key is to just call him! Don't order online. If, his small phone system directs you to leave a number and name, then do it. Stay close to the phone and he will call you back in under 10 minutes. He owns the company and is very knowledgeable. They build rigs under the same roof.

Find a deal better than his and send him a link and he will work with you. Absolutely the best seller for off road stuff that I have come across!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Most list the same wipers. The right side is shorter to fit that ugly curve at the bottom. I have tried both 20" and the 17/19 combo works the best for me.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
LUVMY02CREW
Crew
Crew

Post by LUVMY02CREW »

HenryJ wrote: The right side is shorter to fit that ugly curve at the bottom.
Very interesting that you mentioned that...about a month ago when I got new wipers, I noticed the right side not touching at the bottom of the curve. I hadn't noticed that before, but the guy installing them for free pointed it out... :?

I'll try to remember the different sizes next time.
[size=75]ALWAYS pray for and expect the best, but be prepared for the worst! Life seems to operate a little smoother for me this way[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I'm currently using the Rain-X washer fluid and the Rain-X Latitude wiper blades. I really like both products. I don't even have to use the wipers half the time since switching to the washer fluid. 8)
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I've been using the Rain-X washer fluid for over 15 years now on several different vehicles and I can say for sure it does not harm the paint in any way plus it really does help wet weather driving.

As far as wiper blades I use 20's on both sides (CC & ZR2) and after having tried every fancy wiper blade out there I have found that the cheap ones work just as good and last just as long.

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

f9k9 wrote:JCW was cheaper for me. 3 sets for $83 including shipping. Only time will tell. :wink:
They arrived today! They look good but, only real life experiences will tell. All three rigs wipers are adequate for now but, I added the new wipers to their perspective storage areas. Nothing ticks me off more than to "have to" buy something when it's need is crucial. I recently went through that when, I was in the CC and attending a wrench fest in a town about 60 miles away. I noticed the passenger side blade had separated when cleaning the windows. The passenger side never fails first with my luck but, it was sunny and little chance of rain. That should have been my first CLUE! :wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mine arrived yesterday, even with a credit card snafu. I failed to give all the numbers. :oops:

They do look good. I swapped and dropped the used blades, still good, into the toolbox.

The Scrublades have a just slightly thicker arm for the dual blades. Beefy looking was my first impression. No time on them yet, even though it has been stormy here. I should get a chance to test them out soon.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Brule, which way did you mount them ref. the stamped arrow on them? I mounted mine with the arrow pointed away from cowl.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Same here. Arrow points to the end.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Same here..............
Ummmmm, wait a minute :?:
It's April 1st and you're telling me I guessed correctly?Image
hoggy
Regular
Regular

Post by hoggy »

Any word on those scrublades? I'm going to be needing to replace my blades sometime this summer, My truck still has the same blades I bought it with 4 years ago. They still work real good, but i do rain-x periodicly. I also wash the widshield just about every fill up, and the truck gets handwashed almost every other week in the summer, and about once a month in the winter.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Thus far I am happy with them. They do scrub the bugs off a little better than others. No complaints about their wet performance.
Dry they are a little noisy, but probably no worse than the cheap blades.
It is still too soon for me to say "yea or nay". I do worry about the winter and them icing up.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I have only put them on the heep thus far and they seem to be doing well. An end cap came off but, I guess it happened when hand washing and I was able to pop it back on and it has stayed.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Wiper Blades

Post by HenryJ »

My scrub blades did not survive the winter. The plastic channel that retains the rubber part of the blade broke in the cold weather.
Only one broke, but that was enough for me to move on.

I am now trying the Michelin Beam Blade technology

They have been pretty good so far. I wish I had known there was a rebate available.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

After 2 years, my Rain-X blades are still going strong. Don't do any "maintenance" on them other than run some washer fluid on the windshield once in a while. This is the longest ANY wipers have lasted, and considering the desert environment, I'm really impressed. Let's see how much longer they go.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

i always likd rain x blades... havent tried that new lattitude? they have out... dont really care too.

My drivers side one is starting to streak some.. I think it might have been damaged by ice on my window and using em.

Always had good luck with em, I keep disposable alchohal wipes the the car to clean my wipers with every so often. If not clean, they will streak.

I used the cheapest BOCSH blades once... i threw em away after 2 weeks. Awful.

I also read if you take really fine sand paper and just make one swipte across the blade it will hone the edge once it gets some age to it... never tried it, but plan to when these get raged.

Also, rain-X windshield wiper spray/cleaner.. is all I will use. I use to apply rain-x by hand, but the spray does just as good of a job, and is an excellent cleaner!

I cant stand to be in a car in the rain that doesnt have rain-x on it.... its just not safe! Heck on the interstate you dont even have to use wipers! (dont try this at home kids, lol)