Black Goo

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Black Goo

Post by Cajun »

What is the black goo on the under carriage of our trucks?

Some black goo is missing from the frame under the bed and is begining the rust. Has any use spray undercoat or spray on bed liner to patch the factory black goo? I am also considering using the spray on bed liner on the rear wheel wells over the steel areas painted body color. Does anyone have experience with the spray on bed liner like the product offered by Duplicolor?

Thanks!
[size=75]03 ZR5 Crew Cab[/size]
mattfu
Crew
Crew

Post by mattfu »

i have done the entire bed of my crew with the duplicolor aerosol can, it looks ok, not a comparison to normal bedliner (much thinner) but works well, surface preperation is the most important, as i found bonding issues with anything less than ideal surface. they also make a large (3L) can of liquid that can be sprayed through a undercoating spray gun, more money but i think it will lay it on a bit thicker, i am going to do my wheel wells after new tires with the undercoat spray gun, i'll post some pics when the day comes.
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Undercoating/Rustproofing,...........on the ones that opted for it.

I got mine for free!!!!!!

:? :?: Is it an area where the dealership just missed in doing the rustproofing/undercoating? The trucks are not shipped from the factory with that done, because the dealership can end up charging you extra for it. It doesn't come on every vehicle.

As for the bedliner material, I have Line-X in the bed and love it. I've thrown foundation bricks into the bed from 10'+ away, with no damage, besides one VERY small dent...I plan on having it applied to the rockers/fender wells when I do the fender trimming/body lift. I know someone, Bwenny or Steve2003 :?: , already has another brand on their rockers, etc...,but couldn't tell you exactly who or what brand.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

P.O.R. 15 (Paint over Rust) That stuff is great!
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
LonestarZ
Crew
Crew

Post by LonestarZ »

And expensive..
[size=75]Dave

[url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?a=member&id=545]2002 ZR2 5spd[/url][/size]
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

WVHogRider wrote:I know someone, Bwenny or Steve2003 :?: , already has another brand on their rockers, etc...,but couldn't tell you exactly who or what brand.
Bwenny used Herculiner. I think I remember him saying that he had to re-aply every so often??? maybe not???
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

kermit wrote:......Bwenny used Herculiner. I think I remember him saying that he had to re-aply every so often??? maybe not???
I quizzed him in a PM not long ago and he recommended to go with a professional spray on liner for things like rockers. His didn't hold up well and was too thin to suit him.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

f9k9 wrote:
kermit wrote:......Bwenny used Herculiner. I think I remember him saying that he had to re-aply every so often??? maybe not???
I quizzed him in a PM not long ago and he recommended to go with a professional spray on liner for things like rockers. His didn't hold up well and was too thin to suit him.
As I said above, I have Line-X. I WILL NOT use another brand of spray-on bedliner material. A couple guys at work have other brands, and do not like theirs. My dad also has another brand, but he/I really haven't tried it out. It's pretty close to the thickness/looks of mine. :shrug: Although, he doesn't use his truck....(2005 GMC Sierra and it only has 7K, which I put ~500 to 1K on it a couple weeks ago when my truck was in the shop).

I have seriously thrown foundation bricks from 10-15 feet away when I was doing work on my house....with nothing more than one very small dent along with a small chip in the liner. However, I brought the chip thing up when talking to the Line-x shop, and they fixed it for no charge, as well as gave me a loaner truck to use while they did the repair. :thumb: Although it was a FORD :roll: A FORD F-1 Lightning, which I abused while I had it. :lol:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Talking on the subject of this rubber undercoat, would it look good to use it on the fenders over the flares?

I was thinking of taking the rear one off to cover under it then putting it back on and going over it again along with the front flair sections. I don't have the zr5 package maybe it would look similar? Prevent rust and all but would it look bad?

Whats better to use the convenient/cheap spray or some brush on herculiner?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It's up to the individual but a lot of Zs do it and it looks decent.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I've seen several trucks with bedliner on the flares. If you use a foam roller rather than the textured one with the kits it would maybe look a little smoother too.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]