Towing 5th wheel camper ? First post new member

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Billpinsc
Regular
Regular

Towing 5th wheel camper ? First post new member

Post by Billpinsc »

First of all guys this is a great sight. I've been reading alot and really found some good stuff.About 3 months ago i bought a 2001 CC and it was instant love.Now time for the question. I have a 24ft 5thwheel camper that has a dry wight of 3700 lbs. I'm wondering if anyone has towed a 5th wheel or what do you think about it. Also if you have some pics of hitch placement would be great.
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

I've not see one.

The weight certainly isn't an issue, however the wind resistance might be a milage reducer. Also I'd be curious to see how much turnig radius there was.

Got a pic of said 5th wheel?
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Welcome to the site :thumb: I don't recall any threads about pulling a 5th wheel trailer but, I could be wrong. You certainly couldn't haul much on the 3,700 lbs (empty weight trailer) trailer. The owners manual recommends 5,200 lbs max with sway control over 3,500 lbs.

If, you do not have an owners manual you can access one by registering online with https://www.mygmlink.com/
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Billpinsc
Regular
Regular

Post by Billpinsc »

Thanks no 5th wheel pics will try tomorrow to get some. It is a low profile design about 8ft from ground to top.
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I think it's going to be a struggle, especially if you hit any good sized hills. Sorry I don't mean to be a downer but it's just a fact! Have you taken into consideration the weight of your food, water, gear etc. Good luck! Go by the book and don't go over 55mph until you get her broke in pulling a heavy load! If you want to know more, pm jeggers, he had a travel trailer he pulled a couple of times with his crew.
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

I saw a Tacoma pulling a fifth wheel a few weeks ago on the highway. Theoretically it's do-able, but I don't know if the in-bed hitch is gonna fit in your tiny bed??
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

The bed size issue is the biggest concern I see.

The second is rear gear ratio. I wouldn't be scared at all to tow for short distances (4-5 hours at a time) with my ZR5, however with a base model with 3.42's I think I'd be a little more hesistant. Of course if it feels OK, and the guages are looking good then I wouldn't worry too badly.

Get a trans temp gauge, and an aux tranny cooler as well. That will add a ton of life to the trans.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

yah i know its been ages...but I just happened to see a vintage baby fifth wheel at a local travel trailer dealer today. got me looking...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/uploa ... 664412.jpg

valley makes a hitch that will fit our trucks apparently...

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/ ... p?p=344614
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
COMING: ?[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I dont know, my old 97 s-10, 2wd regular cab v6. (im sure it has the same towing specs our CC does). Struggled the one time we had to tow the boat (17.5 foot fiberglass fish/ski). Plus it was very "under braked" too.

Im sure you can... but if you want to tow something like that, id move up to a v8.

Before I started driving, the old astro van we had, a V6. (guesing the same as our v6? and probably the same tranny? probably way off there). It had a hard time towing the pop up coleman camper we had just bought. Oer heated easily and struggled a good bit on the WV hills.

My personal feelings on towing is, if your gonna tow anything of any decent size, get a V8. Maybe my CC could handle our boat better then my old 2wd s10 did? If it doesnt, I wouldnt want to tow the boat with it. But I would much rather use a V8 to tow that boat either way... (I know people here tow boats and other thigns, that just my personal feelings from my first hand experiances).

Although moms newer Chevy Equinox, a V6 I think? Tows the pop up camper well...
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

Like 2kwik said:
2kwik4u wrote:Get a trans temp gauge, and an aux tranny cooler as well. That will add a ton of life to the trans.
Consider a Scangauge II (a search here will provide lots of information), that will cover the transmission temp and a lot more. Keep it in 3rd gear while pulling. With 3.73 gears and the proper setup to support the weight, I wouldn't be afraid of it. Airbags would be my choice if they are available for these trucks. If you wind up pulling the trailer a lot, you may want to upgrade to the ZR2 rear axle with the 8.6 ring gear.

I'm not sure I would take off to Clingmans Dome with it.
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I have had good luck pulling my setup. I have to admit I haven't taken it to the mountians. Northern Michigan does get hilly, but not mountainous. I like the trailer brakes I installed. They actually work better than the truck's brakes by itself. It weights 3800 with popup, quads gas and gear. Plus the loaded truck with gear and 4 riders. Comes out to 5200 plus or minus a bit. But a bigger truck would be the way to go.I don't hav5e any trouble with m6aintaining speed in 3ard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 0_1724.jpg
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I'll be towing my 20' camper next weekend. I'll have to see about the GF getting some pics of the truck hauling it down the road. It's about a 3 hour trip to OH amish country where we camp, (Danville/Loudenville, OH). I already have the trailer brake controller, and I'll be installing a trans cooler this weekend. I've hauled this camper without the brake controller before, but it's much better since I've installed it a couple years ago. No leveling or sway bar on the hitch. 8)
Last edited by WVHogRider on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

Hey all...its been a while (at least a year), sorry I havent been on much but I have been really busy with work & kids etc... Reason for my post is that we just looked at a 22 foot travel trailer with an unloaded weight of 3300 pounds, its really nice and we are pretty excited about it. Commom sense tells me that even with a trans cooler and firmers shifts one should only tow in 3rd gear...but its so damned flat here in IL I almost think I should give it a go and see what happens. The longest trip we take is from IL to south western NY state...now once we get off the interstate in NY it gets really hilly, so OD isnt an option. But up until that point the trip is over really flat terrain. So let me know if Im nuts to try OD on flat terrain (probably nuts) or if its worth a shot. Its just that if Im at 60-65 mph in 3 im running like almost 2700 rpm...seems a little much you know?

...course I could just slow down..

Oh, and on a side note, my wife is trying to get me to let her tow the damned thing with her Montana van since she claims there isnt enough room in my CC... Towing with that van has me very nervous.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The billet fourth servo has extra holding power and they claim enough to tow with. Check out the Corvette servo thread for more about that.

I would suggest monitoring the trans temp. Adding a gauge or better yet getting a ScanguageII is the way to go. I think you will find that it heats pretty rapidly towing in OD. It cools back down when you back off a little and drop to third.
If you are on the flat and have the winds in your favor, I don't see that some OD will hurt, as long as you can monitor the temperature.

I have made quite a few modifications to mine with firming it up using the Hypertech Power Programmer, , converter unlock, Corvette servo, billet fourth servo, longer pin and adding Tow/haul mode. I have towed in OD more than a few times. It seems to do fine, but then I have made quite a few adjustments and I have not pulled that kind of weight very often :mg:

Welcome back stranger! :wave:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Right on!!!

Thanks brother.
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Picking up our camper on Friday...leaving the truck at the RV dealer tomorrow to have the wiring harness and brake controller installed, along with what Im assuming are stabilizer bars. I put a pretty nice heavy duty trans cooler on the truck last weekend...that makes me feel a little better about things. Before I go too far with it I am going to atleast get the Hypertech so I can up my line pressure. Hope it will work out.

...wish me luck.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You know we are going to need a picture of it all hooked up fresh off the lot, right? :mg:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I will post a picture when we get them down loaded...wife took a bunch. The RV dealer was about 40 miles away and it took 3/4 of my gas to pull the camper home. It hunted between 2nd and 3rd the whole way...didnt even consider trying OD given how hard the truck was working to keep it in 3rd. I live in central IL and it is flatter than flat everywhere around here which really worries me should I encounter any hilly terrain in the future. The brakes on the trailer helped to stop really well and the weight distubution bars we put on with the hitch made the truck ride with zero sag in the rear end. The down side to this is that I fear I dont have enough truck to dependably tow this thing especially over any distance...that and it is so much narrower than the camper that you cant see whats behind you at all, I know they have trailer mirrors for the CC but I dont know how much that will help me. It really sucks but I think im gonna have to get rid of the CC and get a full size...it breaks my heart really, I love my truck and there isnt anything wrong with it and most importantly its paid off. Im looking at an 05 Sierra CC short bed Z71 with a 5.3L that my wifes uncle has at his dealership its a really nice rig but Im still upset about having to get rid of the S10...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:... Im looking at an 05 Sierra CC short bed Z71 with a 5.3L that my wifes uncle has at his dealership its a really nice rig but Im still upset about having to get rid of the S10...
I can understand being a little upset, but the little s-series is just not cut out for that load. You will be happier with the fullsize. Better mileage, and more room.
All the others who bought camp trailers have sold their little trucks for a larger one.
We will still let you drop in and show off. I might even be able to help with a few "known" issues the fullsize have.
Follow that little voice...'Do it!".

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

HenryJ wrote:
Rusty Shackleford wrote:... Im looking at an 05 Sierra CC short bed Z71 with a 5.3L that my wifes uncle has at his dealership its a really nice rig but Im still upset about having to get rid of the S10...
I can understand being a little upset, but the little s-series is just not cut out for that load. You will be happier with the fullsize. Better mileage, and more room.
All the others who bought camp trailers have sold their little trucks for a larger one.
We will still let you drop in and show off. I might even be able to help with a few "known" issues the fullsize have.
Follow that little voice...'Do it!".
Yeah, our friend at the RV dealer said the same thing sort of...he was all about me getting a full size so that one day I could trade up to a bigger camper. So yeah, we are going to call about the truck today and see what sort of numbers we can get and go from there.