HVAC fan/control

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Billpinsc
Regular
Regular

HVAC fan/control

Post by Billpinsc »

My air/heater fan will only work the #4 setting. :twisted: Sometimes it works fine other times not so good. Any suggestions
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Look for the easiest things first. Is it always on the highest setting? I have stripped out a knob on a '97 before. If, it is always on #4 try exchanging it with your temperature adjustment knob or carefully try needle nose pliers after removing the knob.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have had the opposite happen to a first gen when the high speed fan relay went bad. It would not function in the high speed position.

I suggest looking to the fan speed control itself , if the connections are all good.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

I would check the blower resistor first. On the full size trucks have a habit of going out, sometimes on only one speed, but most of the time it's on the three lower speeds. According to the manual, it is located on top of the housing under the hood.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
ZR5OnIt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ZR5OnIt »

FYI, I just found out the #9 fuse on the side of the dash controls power to the blower fan switch at all positions, but the HVAC fuse under the hood (to the left of the hazard lamp fuse) controls the 4 (high) position only. So, if the #9 is out, no fan at all, but if the underhood HVAC fuse is out, 1, 2 & 3 will work but not #4. Weird, but true. :wink:
[size=75]2003 ZR5, 6" Superlift, cut out flares, step rails, 1.5" rear spacers, 15x8 Pro Comp 1079 wheels w/ 3.75" BS, 33/12.50-15 BFG AT-KO tires[/size]