FInally used 4wd again.......

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

FInally used 4wd again.......

Post by 2kwik4u »

Souch a momumentous occasion I thought I'd post. Nothing really big nor spectacular. No offroading adventure with another group of enthusiasts, no pulling stranded motorists out of the ditch, or any other such madness or mayhem.

I've been considering buying a couple of acres, and putting either a modular home, or a pole barn with converted living space (what I currently live in) on it. Found a couple nice properties online, so we (the GF and I) set out to go look at them.

First one was a nice triangle shaped 5 acre tract somewhat close. Although the pictures didn't look so bad, the "road" into the property was rutted, and coverd in snow. Got about 1/2 way in, and started noticing the rear tires spinning, so switched into 4wd. Glad I did, as about 100ft further in, the road took a sharp left, and climbed up what was a fairly steep, and again rutted hill. After browsing around there for awhile, and discussing where a house could be put in the future, we headed off to the next one.

We arrived about 15 miles away to find the bridge to the property either washed out, or broken down. Either way, it required another push of the 4wd button to ford a small stream. Less than 8" deep, and fairly smooth rock bottom I was more concerned with the layer of ice over the top than I was anything else. Truck performed well, and got us back on the gravel road on the other side with no problems.

While I don't use it very often, I'm glad I spent the extra cashola on a 4wd truck for days like today. I've got a sneaky suspicion that if I end up with a tract of land like this I'll be using it a ton more. Guess I should get on my research to see what kind of tires I can fit on a mostly stock truck to help with this kind of thing. I'd like to think I've got another 20k miles or so on the stockers, so nothing soon, but I think I have talked myself out of the lowering it, and adding big swaybars route.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]