SPARE TIRE

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

jailbird_kevin

SPARE TIRE

Post by jailbird_kevin »

I BOUGHT MY TRUCK USED, AND NEVER REALLY PAID ATTENTION TO THE SPARE TIRE. BUT NOW I WAS LOOKING AND REALIZED THAT I DONT HAVE THE TOOL TO LOWER MY SPARE TIRE. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET ONE OR TELL ME WHERE IT SHOULD BE LOCATED. MAYBE IM JUST LOOKING IN THE WRONG SPOT. I HAVE A 2002 S-10 CREWCAB 4X4. IF YOU COULD HELP ME.
THANKS
KEVIN
Jim

Re: SPARE TIRE

Post by Jim »

jailbird_kevin wrote:I BOUGHT MY TRUCK USED, AND NEVER REALLY PAID ATTENTION TO THE SPARE TIRE. BUT NOW I WAS LOOKING AND REALIZED THAT I DONT HAVE THE TOOL TO LOWER MY SPARE TIRE. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET ONE OR TELL ME WHERE IT SHOULD BE LOCATED. MAYBE IM JUST LOOKING IN THE WRONG SPOT. I HAVE A 2002 S-10 CREWCAB 4X4. IF YOU COULD HELP ME.
THANKS
KEVIN
Its in with the jack, the pointed end of the lug wrench.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Don't forget to unlock the government CAPS LOCK.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
LUVMY02CREW
Crew
Crew

Post by LUVMY02CREW »

OK, just a little rant and a heads up here people....

:rant: THE RANT: I bought my truck used just like the first poster. My last used vehicle didn't have a jack, so I actually made sure to check to see if all the parts were there for the crew's tire jack...Jack, lug wrench, and wheel scotches all there. Then I never thought anymore about it since I have been truly blessed by not having any flats to have to change out.

Then today happens. I recently bought new O2 sensors and was going to install them today. I had planned on jacking the truck up, setting it on the stands I've got, change the sensors and be done...sounds pretty straight forward, right????

Well, I pull the jack out and notice it looked crooked. So, I set in on the floor and try to turn the handle to raise the truck up. It took a lot of effort to turn and after 2 rotations, I notice something bizarre....the jack is JACKED UP!!!! By that I mean when I look at it, the dang thing is bent somehow!!! It sits flat, but the scissors part is bent so it angles off to the side when raised and the screw mechanism is bent also.

The only thing I can think of that might have happened is the fool who used it last forgot to set the brake and use the scotches and the truck moved/slipped and bent the jack under it!?!?!? :nono:

So, I decide to get the jack out of my wife's suburban and rock on right...wrong!!!! The bottle jack and scotches are there, but no handle to turn it with and no lug wrench either. This is just unbelievable. No, I don't think I checked the burb out when we bought it. :oops: So, now I've gotta get parts for both vehicles!!! Gotta love it!!

:idea: THE HEADS UP: Just make sure when you get a used vehicle, that you not only check to see if the jack stuff is there, but also that it works as it is supposed to.
[size=75]ALWAYS pray for and expect the best, but be prepared for the worst! Life seems to operate a little smoother for me this way[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Did you look underneath to see if you have a spare tire? ;)
When did you check the air pressure in it last? :lol:

Now wait until you find out that the lug wrench is the wrong size. :(

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

My favorite is locking lug nuts with no key or id #. :twisted:
LUVMY02CREW
Crew
Crew

Post by LUVMY02CREW »

OK, so in the morning the pressure in the spare will be checked(I'm pretty confident that it's there :roflmao: ) and I will make sure the lug wrench and the special lug nut socket work together. :thumb:

After getting so ticked off bout the jack, I didn't even think to make sure about those things. I do know the special lug nut socket works on the lug nuts, just not sure if it works with the lug wrench in the truck :oops:
[size=75]ALWAYS pray for and expect the best, but be prepared for the worst! Life seems to operate a little smoother for me this way[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Good info, ill have to check out the jack on my new (used) crew cab I got this week.

I only had to use the jack in my used s-10 (my first truck had it 7 years) once. I got into a stupid fender bender, and my tire got knocked off the rim. It worked fine for me, but im definantly gonna test the one out in my new crew cab.

Also, make sure the rim on the spare isnt all rusted up and what not. When I put my spare 'donut' on, I could not for the life of me get it tightened down, it was very rusted. Only thing I can guess from all the rust flacking off, but I was kinda worried about jacking up the studs, only had to drive 2 miles, but when I got home a couple lugs were loose :shock: So, keep that spare in good condition!

I also carry a 4 way lug wrench, and cresent wrench with me for when towing. Different lug nut sizes, atleast on my old s-10, and the cresent wrench to remove the spare bolted to the trailer.
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

Ya, check the spare every once and awhile. I never had a flat but dropped the spare once a year to lube the cable. Once it was a little soft so I aired it up. Never took it down to check it. When I went to the 31s, I replaced the 235 spare with a 31. The stock 235 spare didn' feel right when I pulled it out. Turned out it had about 1 gallon of water in it. Must be it filled up a little when it was soft.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

How did the 31 fit as a spare? I was thinking about getting one for a spare but it looked close to not fitting.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A 31" spare will just fit

It is close for the exhaust and the hitch.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

What did you do to take that nice picture? Stand on your head! I have a different hitch than you do. But it's a tight fit.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

DLP wrote:What did you do to take that nice picture? Stand on your head!
Using a small trowel I dig a pit deep enough to kneel in to take the picture ;)

That picture is dated. Those are the second set of tires on my truck, so that was probably 2002.

- ThunderII KE7CSK