runing bad when i turn right *solved-plugged cat

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

runing bad when i turn right *solved-plugged cat

Post by michaelhrgn »

hi iam new to the site. i have a 2001 crew cab s10 2in body lift t bars kranked to fit 33 12.5 15s. when ever i turn right going form a stop or down the road it lurches and some times dies. i bought a scan tool and it came up with the p0335 and i replaced it and also p0341 replaced it to. cleared the codes and they still come up its geting so bad that i cant relly drive it any where now just sits hear still making the payments. also you can't really get on it from a stop wonce your on the high way you can hit but you have take your foot out around any right turns. any help would be great thanks for the great site.
P0335 - Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction
P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
replaced both sensors
Last edited by michaelhrgn on Tue May 01, 2007 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

nascaritis? :lol:

maybe clogged fuel filter? weak fuel pump?

do you notice any change in frequency or severity with a full tank vs 1/4 or less?
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

P0335 - Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction
P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

You say you replaced both? you mean the sensors? It sounds like you've got a timing issue.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

well i have changed the fuel filter three time in the last 6 months becuse i hade though bad gas was my problem. even had a fuel in service.
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

yes i replaced them both with no change
KedExx
Regular
Regular

Post by KedExx »

I had a ford ranger that did the same exact thing your decribing. I dont know if chevy has one, but my issue was a low oil sensor in the oil pan. It would only die when turning right
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

thanks i will check in to that.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Leaking or clogged fuel injector, stretched timing chain. :?:

Some of the 01 CC's have fuel injector problems due to the older design.

My 01 CC was upgraded by GM at no charge. :D

What is the mileage on your CC? :?:

Steve
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

How are you running 33x12.5 tires with only a body lift??? Aren't you rubbing??
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

well my cc has about 66,000 on it. I might look in to that injecter up grade.
oh and i have a 2'' body lift with home made shackles in the rear with t-bar keys in front, with fender glass fenders in front. only spot it rubs is on the frame when you crank it all the way. but not at all in normal driving!
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

oh and i also have the front valance removed from the front bumper. some jerk backed in to my valance at the monster truck show, last year with there drop hitch and just drove away!
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

well this is turing in to a night mare . i took the truck in to the shop on may 9th and the were going to find out what was up. the called me back the next day and said it was going to be 1300 dollars and they were flushing all the fluids and replacing the distutr. ok . it will be done may 11 at 5 pm . so i go to pick it up and they say give us a hour. so an hour later they tell me they dropped a bolt in the in take and it sucked it in to a valve and in to the # 6 pistion. :x and they were going to fix it. so i met with the owner of the deller ship. he said that my truck would run like new when i get it back. may 18th i pic it up and all seems good. so may 19th i put my trx 450 in the back and when to sand lake about 7o miles away. so i get there and i have a bad ex lek. so i pop the hood and there all kinds of stuff not tight. long store short i get home and its up to the same old stuff. seams like i get it back for the week ends only and back to the shop monday. it still in the shop for its 5th time right now. june 19th but now its miss firing and wont go over 2000 rpms.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

If, we are going to be of any help to you then you need to sit down, take the time and do a little write up on your truck's history, your thought process in doing what modifications that you have performed, what order did they come in and when did you do them. More info on the engine repair would help us out! The 12.50s and glass fenders would be a first here so, we need detailed info on that too. Your ailing 4.3L is the first priority but, we need brought up to speed.

I am no expert but, there are a few here that come close!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

well i got the truck in nov of 05 with 56000 on it and had all the serv do like the book said. in jan of 06 i had a custom cat back 3 in flowmaster ex with duel 2.5 in out .then in feb of 06 i put a knn cold air on it. the june a 2in body lift and t bar keys and sackls then 33. then in dec of 06 it started going haywire.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

michaelhrgn wrote:............ flushing all the fluids and replacing the distutr. ok............they tell me they dropped a bolt in the in take and it sucked it in to a valve and in to the # 6 pistion
Other work must of been done to perform this act of stupidity

michaelhrgn wrote:.......they were going to fix it. so i met with the owner of the deller ship. he said that my truck would run like new when i get it back''''''''''''
Guess, you better hold the owner to his word and every time it is "down" you should be driving a loaner truck that is free of charge unless, you may have left out a few details.

Good Luck 8)
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Does the truck bog down when you turn the wheel all the way when not moving? Was one of there fixes draining and replacing the power steering fluid? It might be a bad power steering pump in combination with the big tires is causing some of your issues.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I had a girlfriend's car that acted similarly in left hand turns at speed only.

turnd out the car had been wrecked and apparently in the rebuild they left a wiring loom loose that had enough stretch to it to touch a metal brace for the Power steering pump - after time it chafed a few wires and was grounding something out. I spent a night separating and insulating everything, all was better.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Did the shop give a detailed list of all the services performed? :?:

Did they drop a bolt into the throttle body? :?:

Was the engine started after dropping the bolt in?

If so, how much engine damage was caused by this stupid mistake?

If they did start the engine with that bolt in there you will most likely have a damaged valve, valve guide, possibly a cracked piston, and other valve train damage.

You may have a law suite on your hands with this one unless they completely fix everything and even then you might have unknown engine damage which could surface later. :(

This may sound a bit extreme, but if they did start that engine and that bolt did get sucked into a valve, I would demand a new engine and sue them if they refuse to do so.

This has got to be one of the worst mistakes I have heard of in a long time. :!:

Steve
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

up date. they did start the motor with the bolt in the intake and turned it off. so they pulled the head and sent it in to have it reworked. and they replaced the piston . oh and they replaced the intake gaskes the first go around. and this guy that worked on my truck is 1of20 gm world class tec. who would have guessed?????? they called me to day and said now they think that the cat is plugged????? i starting to think they dont have a clue.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

michaelhrgn wrote:.............starting to think they dont have a clue.
If, I knew what it was going to be like today in '07, I would have chosen a different career path. A good tech with proper support from a dealership could make close to what I heard they made on a Paul Harvey radio spot last year. They are like a good RN and can make a 6 figure easily. :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Plugged precat makes more sense.

Where do I need to go to make six figures and could I still work part time in emergency services :thumb:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:...........Where do I need to go to make six figures...........
Dunno but, Mrs Hoff is looking :wink:
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

Dead thread ressurected but oh well

1st, I have a hard time believing that a bolt was acutally sucked past the valve into the cylinder. Our trucks factory dont get much over .45 lift. Thats assuming they cranked it long enough to open the valve to full lift, even with that, we have hydraulic lifters and after sitting for a while they bleed down, resulting in less lift..see where im going here? There are very few bolts around the intake that could be dropped in there, even fewer that are small enough to slip past a valve.

2nd If your tech is one of 20 worldclass gm techs, id be looking somewhere other than with gm techs.

With as little acutal info as there is go on as far as diagnosing this problem im still going to give it a shot and say that it has to do with your lift. Either you have a wire streched to the point that on your turns it pulls it out of a connector, or it is grounding on something. turn your wheels as far to the right and lock the wheel, then start looking. remember the chassis will flex so just because the tire isnt hitting it doesnt mean its not gonna be affected. Check the PCM groiund and connectors. Could also be moisture in the pCM itsself. Lifted trucks get run hard, get wet, proper protection of the pcm is rarely observed. GM trucks have hearty computers, but water kills electronics.

Off topic, being a tech has its good points and bad. I work on average of 40 hrs a week, generally get paid 50-60 hrs. But its hard hot frustrating work sometimes.
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

ok guys i know i didn't give you an up date on my truck but hear it goes. it did turn out to be a plugged cat. but i only got another 10 000 out of a new cat and we don't have deq so i just cut the cat out and have had no problem with it now and the truck has morphed in to a totally different truck , sas dana 44s 12" lift 35s 4.56 locked , but thats not why iam replying to the tread just wanted to help any one that had a similar problem i fixed it plugged cat!!