Hot Feet Fix II ( Stopping the flow of air )

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

smcinaz

Hot Feet Fix II ( Stopping the flow of air )

Post by smcinaz »

Split topic-HJ

Can I assume that even after all of this time, there is still no real fix for trying to stop the air flow altogether? Yes, it's nice to not have the hot air now but I still hate having to stuff foam into the floor vents to stop the flow.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

smcinaz wrote:Can I assume that even after all of this time, there is still no real fix for trying to stop the air flow altogether?
There is no fix for the flow of air because there is no problem.
It is the fresh air circulation system.
If you are wanting to limit it you could restrict or seal the cabin exhaust valve. For the crew cab this is mounted to the rear of the cab.
This would tend to pressurize the cabin since the low pressure zone at the base of the windshield tends to create a draw.

I suppose there might be a way to have a switch that operates the recirculation door and seal off the fresh air. I really don't see a need personally. It might be possible if it really bugs you though.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Hot Foot Fix II

Post by HenryJ »

Ok, That last post was rather close minded.

Sorry :oops:

Thinking about this a little more, it is not such a bad idea and might help in a couple different ways.

Hot Foot Fix II :
Open the glove box as before and remove the orange vacuum line from the fresh air control vacuum pot / actuator.

Plug that line with a vacuum line cap. In the center of the picture there is a white plastic multi line connector. Disconnect it.

You will need a 1/8" plastic vacuum line tee and about eight inches of vacuum line. Cut the black vacuum line about an inch or so from the connector. Install the inline tee and attach it to the recirculation vacuum actuator. Replace the multi line connector.
The black line has vacuum in all settings.

What did you just do?
The recirculation air door is normally closed. It receives vacuum from the orange line when the maximum air conditioning is selected only.
By tapping the black vacuum line , and supplying vacuum all the time, the recirculation door is maintained in and open position. This closes the opening to the cowl and the introduction of air.

In a dusty environment this might keep the interior cleaner? It should stop the flow of air with the system off.

It will recirculate the air in all positions. That could make the heater hotter and the air conditioning will be colder for sure.

Sure is worth a try. Simple fix. I did mine and will see what it does.

I would suggest that you try yours too. Mine has the shut off valve and less heat in the interior. You may see a bigger difference.

Thanks for highlighting the issue and opening my mind :thumb:

Welcome :wave:
Last edited by HenryJ on Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Well, I t Almost Worked

Post by HenryJ »

You will need a 1/8" plastic vacuum line tee and about eight inches of vacuum line.
In the center of that picture you see a white plastic vacuum line connector. Release it and cut the black vacuum line about an inch or so from the connector. Install the inline tee and attach it to the recirculation vacuum actuator. Replace the multi line connector.
The black line has vacuum in all settings. Plug both the orange and gray lines.
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri May 25, 2007 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Made an addition to this modification to today. I added a electric vacuum control switch. Now I have a switch on the dash below the HVAC controls for fresh air or recirculation.
I used electric vacuum switches from a late model (1997-2002) Ford F150 -

That is a picture of them in the Ford prior to removal at the salvage yard.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

On a similar note, in the original thread about the hot feet fix you told which line to plug to stop the flow of hot air. I found that a BB is a perfect fit for plugging the line. Set the BB on top of the nipple and push the vacuum connector back on.

If you want to change it back in the winter, just remove the BB.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Hot Feet Fix II ( Stopping the flow of air )

Post by HenryJ »

Key words: Hot Feet Fix , hot air

- ThunderII KE7CSK