crew cabs off road

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

crew cabs off road

Post by bradjh »

I recently purchased my cc in may. i have only taken it off road once in a little mud. i am just wondering how they are in the mud and the snow? any thing i should look out for. this is my first 4by4 i usually drive a honda civic in the winter and i got stuck last year with it the. so i am hope the same will not happen in my crew. Please tell me your personal experiences and provide pictures if possible....

thanks to everyone on here for giving me wonderful advice so far. Brad
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

With good tires and driving technique the crews are great in the snow. As for off road last October I kept up with a group of ZR-2's on some class 6 roads in NH water,mud,rocks,hills worked great.
Here's me towing the Toyota Tacoma behind me over the rocks I had just made it over. I do not have the G80 locker or it would have been even easier. This was my first trail run with the truck.
Towing a Taco and here is a shot of the rocks as I went over them.
image over 100k limit. Link't-HJ
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

I think it is much depends of your personal off road experience - the bigger the better, of right tires, of terrain you drive, of your girlfriend mood … a lot of things. However, it definitely not Honda Civic, that’s for sure! :wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

4x4 usually means , stuck worse. Don't get the idea that you are invincible. Drive it like the Honda, and then use 4x4 only to get you out of trouble if it can.

Do you have the G80? If you do be cautious on slick surfaces as the back end can get away from you.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Tires make all the difference. :wink:

You can get your CC stuck very easy with street tires even with 4wd, so I would at least get some good all terrain tires for year round performance and possible some good snow tires on an extra set of rims for winter performance on the snow and ice.

Steve
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

off roading

Post by bradjh »

i will be putting BF Goodrich all terrain ta ko's on before the winter. hopefully these will get me through some rough stuff this winter. Brad
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

HenryJ wrote:4x4 usually means , stuck worse. Don't get the idea that you are invincible.
I can relate here. When a friend of mine bought a 4x4 Cherokee back in high school we thought we were invincible. Of course about a two minutes into four wheeling we got high centered and walked home. A $100 tow and a reality check we sure learned real quick we didn't know anything about wheeling.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: off roading

Post by killian96ss »

bradjh wrote:i will be putting BF Goodrich all terrain ta ko's on before the winter. hopefully these will get me through some rough stuff this winter. Brad
The BFG AT's are a pretty good tire in most situations, however they are horrible in the mud. :!:

I can't tell you how many times I have wheeled with guys running the BFG AT's who got stuck in the mud because the tread fills up real quick and becomes "smooth", while I drove right through with my MT/R's. 8)

I am not at all trying to discourage anyone from getting these tires since they perform really well on most terrain.

I would only advise not getting these tires if you drive in the mud a lot. :wink:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Good snow traction relies upon a tread design that will trap the snow. The same feature that gives this tire its "snow flake" , approved traction device rating , is the one that makes it perform poorly in mud or clay.
I can not say mine perform poorly in mud. Aired down a little they do pretty good. The narrow tires do dig deep though.
The tread design of the Geolandar AT+II did much better, but those are gone now.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

All tires have their upsides and downsides.

For example if I were to compare the BFG AT's to the Goodyear MT/R's that I always run, I would rate them some thing like this using (poor, good, and excellent):

Packed snow - BFG AT's (excellent) MT/R's (poor)
Unpacked snow - BFG AT's (excellent) MT/R's (good)
Mud - BFG AT's (poor) MT/R's (good)
Loose gravel - BFG AT's (good) MT/R's (good)
Rocks - BFG AT's (good) MT/R's (excellent)
Puncture resistance - BFG AT's (good) MT/R's (excellent)
Aired down performance - BFG AT's (good) MT/R's (excellent)
Sand - BFG AT's (excellent) MT/R's (good)
Ice - BFG's AT's (excellent) MT/R's (poor)
Cut resistance - BFG AT's (good) MT/R's (excellent)
Wet traction - BGF AT's (excellent) MT/R's (good)
Dry traction - BFG AT's (good) MT/R's (good)

Did I miss a category? :lol:

Some may disagree with my ratings, but I feel they are pretty close after having observed a lot of my friends who run the BFG AT's compared to the Goodyear MT/R's that I usually run.

Conditions and terrain vary from state to state so the same tires might perform differently where you live.
Steve
1337vending
Crew
Crew

Post by 1337vending »

All I can comment on is the snow traction, but I definitely agree with Steve about how much the BFG AT's kick butt in the snow. I ended up pulling out a friend's truck at a cabin up in the sierras. He had a lifted fullsize 1500 chevy with mud tires, and I had my CC with 30x9.5 BFG AT's .... He couldn't make it out by himself 8)
[size=75]2003 Indigo Blue Crew Cab - EFILive custom tune, K&N filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, Rear sway bar, ZR5 wheels w/ BFG 30x9.5x15 AllTerrains

Future mods:
Single 6.5" Bazooka behind the backseat[/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

The mickey Thompson MTX's offer excellent snow traction and work well in the mud. Their probably a little louder on the street than the BFG's but nothing like a true mud tire on the street. Here's an article about the tires.

http://www.oramagazine.com/pastIssues/0 ... ewheeltest
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
Capt. Morgan
Crew
Crew

Re: crew cabs off road

Post by Capt. Morgan »

i bought my cc in aug. 05 after returning from over seas while in the army. I was stationed in fort sill ok. the road conditions were black ( no driving unless a have to basis). have been in some serious MUDD with it and my truck came stock with 235-70-15 STREET TIRES and i passed up 2 lifted Z-71 and a lifted dodge ram off-road in IL river mud and then in OK. in the clay mud and never had a worry of being or getting stuck this is my first 4x4 have owned other trucks but none were 4wheel drive. now that i have a wife and 2 lil girls we go play when we get the chance and ENJOY every minute of it.
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

I have the brigdstone dueller revos and they worked good
[size=75]2001 crew cab with a quick hatch tonneau cover
235/75/15 bridgestone dueler at revos[/size]
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

ive been invincible so far....Reed I got a call saturday to go retreive a YJ...he had it buried to the axles. Got em out and I got out of the mess too! Great little trucks!
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
COMING: ?[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

purduecrew wrote:....Reed I got a call saturday to go retreive a YJ...he had it buried to the axles. Got em out and I got out of the mess too! Great little trucks!
No proof w/o pics? I can't believe Mrs Hoff blew it when I pulled out a lifted V8 CJ out of a mud hole that I just went through :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]