front seal on rear hog head

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Capt. Morgan
Crew
Crew

front seal on rear hog head

Post by Capt. Morgan »

this topic is to help other cc owners keep an eye open for this issue me and 2 other of my friends who also own cc 1 reg. LS and another a zr5. the front seal failed and water sipped in to the rear hog head and pushed out the oil which in turn costed me almost 1000 bucks right before christmas last year.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It must be an IL thing? Is "Hog Head" , the differential housing? The seal you refer to being the pinion seal?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Capt. Morgan
Crew
Crew

Post by Capt. Morgan »

yes that is correct.I have also heard it called a pumpkin
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

There is a TSB concerning the issue. You need to reroute your rear diff. vent hose from between the bed and cab to somewhere else. Water is getting into the rear diff via that hose. I'll try and relocate it for you.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

GM DATA wrote: Document ID# 1548738
2002 Chevrolet S10 Pickup - 4WD
Diagnostic Information on Rear Axle Vent Hose to Avoid Moisture/Water Intrusion #04-04-20-003 - (Sep 3, 2004)
Diagnostic Information on Rear Axle Vent Hose to Avoid Moisture/Water Intrusion

2001-2004 Chevrolet S-10 Four-Door Crew Cab Pickup

2001-2004 GMC Sonoma Four-Door Crew Cab Pickup

When diagnosing a rear axle leak or noise concern on the above-listed vehicles, a technician may find that the rear axle fluid is contaminated with water.

First inspect the rear axle vent hose routing location. The vent hose may be positioned directly below the gap between the cab and the pickup bed. In this location, the vent hose may be more susceptible to water/moisture intrusion from the elements or from automatic car washes. It may be necessary to relocate the vent hose to a new location under the pickup bed that will prevent moisture/water from entering the hose.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I would say Reeds advice is sound. Removing the rear cover and inspecting the condition of the bearings is a good idea. The contamination may have been just the beginning. Usually a loose pinion leaks. Sure the seal can go first, but I would at least check the condition of the internal parts to rule out a bearing failure as the cause of the pinion seal leak.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote:Usually a loose pinion leaks.
"Usually" had to be the key word. Not always is for sure.
Doing a good service on my truck, I found my pinion loose. The driveshaft moved quite a bit. i thought maybe U-joints, but no they are smooth and tight. No leaks and the diff is full.
It took probably a good half turn to take the slack out of the pinion bearings. glad I caught it here rather than in the middle of Moab somewhere.

If you happen to be crawling around underneath, give the driveshaft a good push and pull.

- ThunderII KE7CSK