Rusted cab corners

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Rusted cab corners

Post by 24digger »

I've been meaning to mention this for a while but kept forgetting. If anyone has not removed the rear plugs from the bottom of your cab I would definitely recommend it.

I've seen lots of s10's and silverados with rusted out cab corners and its because of those plugs. All that salt and dirt gets trapped in there and starts the rusting process.

Take them out and stick a garden hose in there and wash it out. Especially if you plan on keeping your truck for awhile.

I've had them out of my 95 Z almost since I've had it and its not rusted at all.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I have seen the rusted cab corners too. Any chance of a pic of the plugs?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

Here's a pic on the Z removed

Here's a pic on the crew still installed
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Okay, I think that I have it now. I was thinking the plugs led straight into the cab. In days of old we would spray used oil and water in areas like that after we rinsed it out. Maybe Brule can chime in.

I appreciate your photo taking efforts!! Don't know how many times I have tread outdoors, in bad weather, to try to help a fellow member. Thank you, Sir!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

No problem glad I could help
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Checking them is not a bad idea. If the area is well sealed you should have nothing inside. You need to keep them sealed. If you find contamination clean it out , find the source and seal it.
Our lower panels are already protected. Additional coatings are not needed or recommended. The warranty for rust through was very long on these trucks
GM Warranty wrote:72/100000 SHEET METAL COVERAGE RUST THROUGH LIMITED WARRANTY
I would not remove these plugs and leave them out. That leaves the door wide open to introduction of debris. Then you will have to clean them out regularly.

I have not personally seen cab corner rust through problems with the s-series trucks. I have not gone looking either.

If I had an area of concern, it would be the base of the base of the D post. I have found water there once. I am not sure if it was from a poorly sealed door, or something else.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

I think somehow dirt, dust and especially road salt is getting in there and stopping up the drain holes and causing the corrosion.

At minimum wash it out and put plugs back in.

I usually wash mine out every 2 or 3 washes.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Sounds like a good idea. I haven't checked the cab plugs but have washed out the doors a number of times. Given I don't go in deep water and am on muddy roads or deep snow I have to assume that the dirt in my doors is coming in through the window openings. Yes my trim around the windows is in good shape but there has been enough dirt in the doors that they were plugged above the drain holes and took some washing to clear.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.