Oxygen sensors

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

How many O2 sensors do you have?

My '96 4.3L has 4.
Just curious if the newer trucks have fewer O2 sensors.
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Where are they positioned. My neighbors '96 has three just like my 2001. One for each bank and one post cat.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Mine has 2 that are close to the exhaust manifolds on each side, and two more further out, closer to the Y in the exhaust pipe.

I had to change these all out after having a local exhaust shop weld on a new Cat (the old one clogged)

After the new cat, I kept getting check engine lights and the code was for O2 sensors.

Since I was going to be planning on driving the truck long term, I replaced all O2 sensors and check engine light has never come on again since.

From now on, I'm going to remove the sensors before doing any welding since it appears that the excessive heat may have damaged at least one of them.

When you say "post cat", is that after the cat?
Mine doesn't have one after the cat, and the cat doesn't have a air line going into it either.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

No airline here either. Yes we have a post cat sensor. It measures converter efficiency.

My Old '86 has only one O2 sensor.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

Do you have CALIF. Emissions???

My 2002 has 3. One each on either side of the "Y" pipe(pre cat) just off the exh manifolds, and one (POST CAT) btwn the cat and muffler. My dad's '95 jimmy is the same. All of the S-10 4.3's I've seen from underneath (to many to count) have all had 3. Live in Md with Fed Emissions.

One other explanation, is that your exhaust system has been modified from original at one time by a prior owner.

Not all cat's have what I call an boost air line. They have gotten more efficient over the years and very few if any come from the factory anymore with the line.

Most auto stores are incorrect in that they list the S-10 with 4 sensors. 2 pre and 2 post. The theory is that there should be a minimum of 2 (1pre and 1 post) up to a max of 4 (1pre and 1 post pre bank on a true dual set). The way our factory exhaust is set up you are factory equipped with 3. One precat sensor for each bank and a postcat sensor. All the postcat sensor does is check the mixture coming out of the cat to make sure it's actually working as it's supposed to.

Larry
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Torskdoc wrote:Do you have CALIF. Emissions???
I dunno.

I do know that the stock pipes appear to be stock and there doesn't appear to be any wiring for a post cat sensor, unless someone went the trouble to remove that wiring.

I bought the truck second hand here in Texas, but I guess it could be California emissions.

I guess that would be good, since California people obviously love mother earth more than the rest of us :lol:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

You used to be able to tell if Calif emissions or not on under hood engine tag. Not sure now. Mine says conforms to some federal regulation number AND Calif emissions. Maybe they've been combined nowadays? :?:
BTW, mine has 3 sensors. One each down section of Y pipe and 1 after the pre cat and main cat but ahead of the muffler.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

I'm almost positive my 95 Z has just 2 one right before cat and one after.

I thought my crew had 3 one on each side of y-pipe and one after cat.

I'll have to go check you got me wondering now
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I got 3 total. Never replaced mine, but maybe I should, dunno. 106k miles now.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Replaced my right bank sensor once thus-far. Due to mud tearing off wires at sensor. Hence why I went after and bought skid plates.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

quickbiker wrote:I got 3 total. Never replaced mine, but maybe I should, dunno. 106k miles now.
I bought my truck with 107,000 miles on it and I didn't change mine out till about 120,000 when I had my cat replaced and one of them went bad.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Changed mine this week. 73,335 miles on them. One had set a code three separate times for a heater failure. It has been my experience that they fail in a cascade. That and the fact that they degrade over time , was the push to replace them. Hopefully I will regain a little performance and mileage.

The Stock sensors were the bulb shaped AC sensors with the slots. I installed AC Delco which are more of a cylinder with holes. I have no idea what difference the design makes. The AC look extremely close to the same as the Bosch sensors. Some have had problems with those. I have not. Still I opted to go with AC Delco.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

You just gotta soak it in mud holes more often, but then the air pump goes more often, dunno which is easier to replace. :?
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

Yep my 95 has 2

my crew has 3

Henyj where did you pick up you 02 sensors?

how expensive were they?
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I bought them from Rockauto.com and used Reeds discount code. Fifty sumth'n each.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

thanks guys, i must have jinxed myself with yalls help. set the code for the other 02 sensor today. bank 1. drivers side correct? I replaced the passenger side one at 85K, and this one is at 107K. I think its time.
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
COMING: ?[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Might as well make it a clean sweep an get #3 also! :wink:
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I hit the P0137, bank 1 sensor 2 code over the weekend, it hits about 2-3 times a year now.

What part #'s and what brand are you all getting? I'm thinking AC Delco, but they are a bit steep. I'm not sure about the universal ones, ugh. And were you all getting them? And I guess at miniumum, I should replace the 2 pre-cat sensors.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I bought all three through Rockauto.com. Check the classifieds for as discount code. I prefer to stay with the AC Delco oxygen sensors that are tailored for the OEM application.

I have had some problems with Bosch sensors and have no need to assemble or splice wires using a universal sensor.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

quickbiker wrote:I hit the P0137, bank 1 sensor 2 code over the weekend, it hits about 2-3 times a year now.
What part #'s and what brand are you all getting? I'm thinking AC Delco, but they are a bit steep. I'm not sure about the universal ones, ugh. And were you all getting them? And I guess at miniumum, I should replace the 2 pre-cat sensors.
Bought all three of mine on E-bay. Seller store: Global Automotive $19.99 each plus $12.00 shipping. One was defective on arrival and they replaced it free of charge I just had to pay shipping to return the defective one. All three working 6 plus months now no problems. BTW they were direct fit for my 01 4.3W no adapting needed. 8) I'd replace all three at once if I were you. Usually the third one isn't far behind if one or more others fail. JMOP. 8)
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

24digger wrote:I'm almost positive my 95 Z has just 2 one right before cat and one after.
Yeah, I was changing my oil recently and while under the truck I thought I'd look instead of going by memory...

And, yep. I've got three, just like you do.

I replaced mine with Bosch and that was a long time ago and they've never given me any problems. They were direct replacement where they plugged right in.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, Rockauto had 2 different Bosch's listed, one is universal and other is direct plug-in, oem. I just put the Bosch's in last week and no codes so far. I skipped the one after the cat since it seems like a useless one. I wonder if that one would even set a code off?
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

You know, I changed my oil for the first time over the weekend on my new '03 truck and it's doesn't appear to have an O2 sensor after the cat like my '96 does.
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

quickbiker wrote: I skipped the one after the cat since it seems like a useless one. I wonder if that one would even set a code off?
Yes it will. P0136 thru P0141 all apply to that particular sensor representing different failure modes for it.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I don't remember one being listed for the rear. Is it the same one that goes before the cat?
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Yup! All three the same on the 01's. 8)
LUVMY02CREW
Crew
Crew

Post by LUVMY02CREW »

I've been resetting/clearing code P0135 with my Scangauge almost everyday now for quite some time. So.....I'm finally gonna break down and be ordering 3 of these o2sensors from the same ebay seller that roadrunner got his from....Global-Automotive.

They are DELPHI brand so they should be aok right....didn't see any mention of 2wd vs 4wd about them.

I checked at rockauto.com and even with discount code from classifieds here, they were gonna be nearly 2x cost :shock: I guess one year difference in truck age can make a great diff in cost :?:
[size=75]ALWAYS pray for and expect the best, but be prepared for the worst! Life seems to operate a little smoother for me this way[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Ad looks right. Still running mine with no problems.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Mine's an '03 w/three sensors. There are two things that I will not buy that are not ACDelcos. O2 sensors and fuel pump assemblies. I hope you have had good luck with Bosch or whatever but, with my luck, I'll pay the extra bucks.
I just replaced the bank 2 sensor yesterday with an ADelco one. It was $80 and change from RockAuto but, I know it is good. I also realize that the others will cascade into failure shortly so, I went ahead and cleaned them and reinstalled with anti seize. They'll be a 5 min swap when the time comes. :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I've tried other brands of 02 sensors like Bosch, NGK, etc, in some other GM vehicles and experienced slight surging problems and lower gas mileage so I stick with AC Delco 02's in all my GM vehicles now.

I'm not saying that all the other brands of 02's out there are no good, but it seems to be a gamble when you stray from OEM components.

Delphi supplies the majority of GM's electrical components so I'm sure their 02's are probably ok.

Steve