Rust Warranty just ran out, rusting.

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Rust Warranty just ran out, rusting.

Post by green02crew »

I have some decent amounts of rust on the bottom of my drivers side door right on the edge. Anybody else seen rust here? Its right by the rubber trim and the paint is gone all the way around to the other side of the door just showing. I cleaned it up and rubberize undercoated it just like the rockers but it doesn't look very good. I was thinking of getting a quote now on how much linex would be for the rockers, fenders, etc since f9k9 got me looking at zr2usa trucks that had it done. Is this a common rust spot? Any easy solutions?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I believe this is caused by not cleaning out the door bottoms after wheelin in mud and muddy water. Everyone pays pretty close attention to the undercarriage and body bottom & plugs but forgets the doors. I noticed this one semi-freezing day when I opened my rear door and heard water sloshing around inside. A quick blasting at the bottom of the door soon had muddy water of a surprising quantity spurting out the previously plugged drain holes. Also of note my speaker in that door is now dead as well. I know this doesn't help your rust problem but just thought I'd throw it in as something to watch for for everyone.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

It isn't caused by water in the door as the rust is right in the corner by the passenger door on the bottom. Where the sheet metal that makes up the door is bent over together. Maybe that caused it to hold salt rust? But it did start to chip my paint on the outside as the rust worked its way down from that spot. The passenger side is fine with no rust at all while the drivers side looks horrible. My theory on this is because plow trucks salt in the center of the road not on the sides so the drivers side takes the brunt of it.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Perhaps not but if stuff from wheelin will collect there salt and salt slush from the road will as well. I was surprised how much crud was in my drivers side doors as well. My pass side doors were relatively clean by comparison. Also remember wherever there is a folded door joint there is a place for these problems to start as I doubt the door is full-welded. Most likely just spot welded in several places.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Having driven many GM vehicles in the salt belt I can say that the rust you are getting is typical. I have had to rebuild the lower seam on at least 4 vehicles.the drivers side does get more salt spray form passing cars all winter .
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Have you done anything personally to prevent it rusting in this spot? I checked with the local linex and they clearly wanted nothing to do with me as the guy quoted me about $1k so I just laughed and walked away. I have rubberize undercoated the areas but I'm still worried about it continuing rust underneath. That stuff is like cancer!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Only thing I've ever seen that has much effect on this problem in the doors is undercoating inside the doors or a really good rust-proofing treatment. Problem is after the truck/car has some miles on it you can't do as good a job since there will be some dirt inside the doors etc then. Seen em try to clean it out. It helps but still not as good as when new.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

All the vehicles I have owned except for the crew were at at least 20k miles when I got them and most were over 60k in all but 1 the rust was already present and I just patched it as best I could, the Pontiac Sunbird I had with 26k on it hadn't had the problem yet,I kept it as clean as I could and kept a good coat of wax on it. By the time it was sold the entire lower door skin was in need if work it failed quickly when it went, right around 80k. It was about 10 years old at that point.
Don't you think they have the warranty for all vehicles set to just about when they figure things will wear out?
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

well if you get a vw they're warranted for 13 years (rust through) or something crazy like that!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab