Windshields

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Windshields

Post by green02crew »

Does anyone know the cost of a windshield for our trucks? I want to tailor my insurance so that if the windshield is pricey I can get a lower deductable to pay for it. But if it is cheap why pay the extra for the deductable.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Most windshields are usually in the $200-$300 range. You might check with your insurance to see if they offer $0 deductible glass coverage. When I lived in Phoenix, that was standard coverage because of all the gravel medians around the city.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I can choose between $250, $500 and $1,000 deductible as it would be covered under my comprehensive coverage. My insurance company sucks but its the cheapest for me since I am a young guy they love to jack the rates. If the windshield is under $300 installed there is no sense in me having the lower deductible and paying the higher fees.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Included at no charge in AZ with $0 deductible.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Around here its usually a $50 deductible but again my insurance sucks. Can't do much till I'm older.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I had mine replaced about two years ago and I think it cost about $230 then. Safelite came out and did it in the parking lot at my office. There's an "instant quote" link on their website. give 'em your zip code and vehicle info and they'll tell exactly how much and you can schedule the appointment online.

Good Luck.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Lat summer I had mine replaces by a shop here in Northern KY. $289.75
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

LMC has shaded version for $109.95 plus shipping. But then unless you have a "friend" to put it in for you if you aren't capable yourself or equipped to do so it's a moot point. Locally here I have a price to replace mine for $200. Yeah mine is cracked and pitted terribly also.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well I called around today and it seems $150 installed!?! Thats kinda low in my book not that I'm complaining. I might raise my comprehensive deductible and save a couple bucks a year?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Man if you can get it installed for $150 ya better JUMP ON IT!!! That's cheap! I wish I could get one around here for that!
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Careful , thinking you are getting a good deal with a cheaper windshield install.

Cheap glass can be softer. This is prone to sand pitting. There can also be problems with optical clarity and distortion. Add to that ill fitting.
I had one of the fleet vehicles windshields replaced three times because the windshield would not seal at the top. Turns out the glass was not shaped correctly. Tight at the corners and gapped wide in the middle. Turned out to be a cheap Mexico import.

Another problem is the damage the cheap shops can do to your truck. They use a power cutter to remove the windshield. An amateur can really mess up your truck. I have seen penetrating cuts and gouges left untreated. These later rust out , or leak. A good shop will clean and primer all the surfaces as needed. The cuts will not go full depth and damage the well. They will use quality glass, because they want to do it right the first time and know the glass is safe.

Choose your shop carefully. You may get more than you paid for ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Brule's right...careful of the cheap glass. We had a few windshields and side windows replaced for customers at the dealership I used to work at and the owners opted for the cheaper choice to save money. The cheaper glass (from China) almost never fit right. We had a rear quarter window on a minivan that the sliding door would hit each time it was opened because of the shape being off.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well that is intesting, I never thought that there would be a difference. I always thought glass was glass! Thanks! It does make sense though. Are there any DOT regulations on quality or materials of glass? I know they are an important safety feature of the vehicle and should be done properly I just never thought about damage to the vehicle or that they could be made inferior.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HenryJ wrote:Careful , thinking you are getting a good deal with a cheaper windshield install. Cheap glass can be softer. This is prone to sand pitting. There can also be problems with optical clarity and distortion. Add to that ill fitting.
All things are relative. My OEM original CC glass is cracked and SEVERELY sand-pitted so for my use not particularly any better than "cheap" glass. I put in a "second" in my van last time for 50% of 1st line cost and 4 yrs later no complaints or problems. I plan to put in 2nds in my CC cause windshields just don't live long out here for me. :( Never ceases to amaze me how I can meet someone on a dirt road and have them throw a rock out of their tires and screw up my windshields. :cry:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

My glass shop guru say windshields should be replaced every five years due to the pitting. Generally if the windshield has been chipped and it is that old, he will recommend replacement over repair.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

roadrunner wrote:All things are relative. My OEM original CC glass is cracked and SEVERELY sand-pitted so for my use not particularly any better than "cheap" glass. I put in a "second" in my van last time for 50% of 1st line cost and 4 yrs later no complaints or problems.
Similar story here. I replaced my OEM glass less than two years after I bought the CC and $230 replacement glass has been in place ever since. Just over four years now. With the original factory windshield, I got a pretty regular drip right above the mirror whenever it rained. With the $230 replacement in I haven't gotten a drop yet.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

One other thing. Be prepared to spend about two hours at the shop. It's not that it takes so long to replace the glass, you have to allow at least 45 minutes to let the sealant "set up" they call it safe drive off time or something like that. It just means tha the sealant has to set up properly and be safe.
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

All very good information I'm glad I started asking questions about it.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I had my crew less than a week before I got my first stone chip. I spent $40 at a repair place the fixed it with less quality than the Prestone kit I used on my 89 Silverado in my driveway. My windshield has lots of little sand pits now, has anyone tried the glass polishing kits that are sold through some of the auto parts places or are they just more snake oil?
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The glass polishing kits can be useful. In a case where a window is not replaceable, or extremely expensive they can help.
I used one to salvage a window for a '59 Fleetside. Lots of work and small gains.

I would not waste your time on a windshield for our trucks. They are relatively inexpensive and readily available.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Thats what I figured, I just wanted to check before spending any of my hard earned $ and I knew someone here would have tried it.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HenryJ wrote:My glass shop guru say windshields should be replaced every five years due to the pitting. Generally if the windshield has been chipped and it is that old, he will recommend replacement over repair.
:shock: If I had that kind of money to replace all my windshields every 5 yrs I wouldn't be too worried about what they cost!!! When I say mine is sand pitted you really have to see it to appreciate the depth of what I am stating. On a sunny day driving into a low level sun it is difficult to see and there are also "wiper arcs" where they have rubbed all that sand I get thrown up with the mud around here. Polarized sunglasses help a little though.l 8) Brule, before you lecture me I've had a new one on order for a while now. Hard to get these small town rural body shop guys around here motivated. :roll: Gonna give em a couple more weeks then I'm off to a larger city to get it done. Just d**n tired of waiting. :(
As far as "polishing kits" the glass better be pretty good and the defects VERY shallow or you're not going to have very good luck. :wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If it is that much of an inconvenience, do it yourself.

I have done lots. Pull the seal. Cut the windshield out with a wire saw. Trim the urethane. Primer any bare spots or scratches. Place the spacers. Cut the tip of the fast dry urethane and vee the side for a nice ribbon.
One continuous bead all the way around. It will take more than one tube. A wet finger to smooth the transition.
Careful placement and install the cover seal. A few pieces of tape just for kicks to stabilize it and let it sit until cured.

It is lots of work and the pros make it look really easy. Well worth their wages, IMO.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HenryJ wrote:If it is that much of an inconvenience, do it yourself.
Brule, I'm almost as enthused about doing a windshield as I was about the "fender butchery" you showed me in another thread with a sawzall! :shock: Just never liked or got along with body work or painting. I can tinker for hours with a sick engine but wood work or body work Uh Uh. :(
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

No guts , no glory! :lol:

You never know how deep the water is until you test it...or is it you never know how deep it is until you're in over your head?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

In my case either one will suffice. I'm gunshy on glass cause when a much younger man I watched them routinely break about one out of every 7-10 they installed in the dealership. And Yes they did a lot of em so experience shouldn't have been much of an issue. :hide:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Those were using the gaskets to mount. Flush mount using urethane is easy compared to those.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Hmmmm, cautious-suspicious agreement here. Still nervous though. :wink:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Got my new windshield the other day. $185.12 installed. First line glass and sure nice to see again without the sand pits and scratches or cracks.