It's tune-up time...

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Gary H
Crew
Crew

It's tune-up time...

Post by Gary H »

Actually, it's probably way past tune-up time at 96k miles so I'm out in the driveway armed with plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc. It was quite a fight to get the wires out and now I'm staring at the number 3 plug that is so neatly blocked by the steering shaft. Any tips on getting it out?

Also since I'm so close to the 100k mark, anything else I should be lookiing at?

Thanks!
Gary
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

It is not past tuneup time at all according to GM. It was supposed to last 100k. I would do all fluids/filters. Differentials, transfercase, transmission, oil, fuel filter, air filter, just to name a few things. I did mine at 50k and will again when I hit 100k.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Service the evap vent valve. That one is not too bad.
Save up for O2 sensors. They are on the down hill slide and you may see some improvement in mileage.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Gary H
Crew
Crew

Post by Gary H »

Hmmm. Better add a driver's side motor mount to the list too. On the positive side, the broken mount made changing that #3 plug a bit easier! Just hooked up the hoist to the left side factory hook and lifted it up. Mount ordered.

I just did the oil filter change but I hate to admit I've never changed any of the other fluids. Also put a K&N filter in it a long time ago. Just now cleaned it. What a mess.

So where is the evap valve? I'm assuming it's on top of the evap canister but I looked around and can't find it. Just replaced one of the O2 sensors but I'll get ready for two more.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Remember the old search ^ ?

There is a good thread on it with pictures: Evap Vent Valve Filter

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Gary H
Crew
Crew

Post by Gary H »

HenryJ wrote:Remember the old search ^ ?

There is a good thread on it with pictures: Evap Vent Valve Filter
I don't know why but I always have the worst time finding anything with search engines. I try to get Sharon to find things for me. She is good at it.

Man, I would have never found the canister. I'm used to finding them under the hood, not under the back end. Thanks!

Well, I got the plugs wires cap and rotor in. I didn't crack the distributer either! I had almost forgotten about that until I saw the plastic.
Gary H
Crew
Crew

Post by Gary H »

Well, I took it for a drive and it seems to run much better. The idle is much smoother. Now for the fuel filter and other things to change. By the way, any recommendations on fuel additives to clean the injectors?
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

the lucas cleaner in the clear bottle does pretty good for my truck, better milage too.
[size=75]-2001 s-10 crew - K&N intake, 2" PA body lift, tbar crank, bilstein shocks, 15" american racing baja rims, 31x10.5r15 bfg MUD terrains[/size]
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Marvel Mystery Oil 2 OZ. per 10 gallons every fill-up, my throttle body and injectors look cleaner than new. I know it also helps keep the fuel pump/ gas gauge sending unit nice and clean and operating also.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
Gary H
Crew
Crew

Post by Gary H »

Ahh! Good old Marvel Mystery oil! I forgot all about that stuff. I think I have a can downstairs. I used to use it in my air tools. I've lost count of all the other ways I've heard it can be used. Good stuff.
[size=75]Gary.
(AKA Rusty)[/size]
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

I changed my plugs last fall and had the same prob. with the steering shaft in the way. I used a scocket with a wrench attached to get mine out. IT WAS A B*%#H!!!!!!!!!!

Did you break the mount taking it out or what happened ?
Gary H
Crew
Crew

Post by Gary H »

PATRICKH wrote:I changed my plugs last fall and had the same prob. with the steering shaft in the way. I used a scocket with a wrench attached to get mine out. IT WAS A B*%#H!!!!!!!!!!

Did you break the mount taking it out or what happened ?
I knew the mount was broken already. It's next on my to do list. As "lead footed" as my wife can be (she drives it 100% of the time now), a broken motor mount is not something I want to leave broken! :shock:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Not what I think is the best thing in the world but when I changed my plugs I took a combination wrench of the correct size to fit the plugs and attacked it with the "fire wrench". Bent the box-end to 90 degrees and "reached" behind the steering shaft to remove and replace that dreaded hidden plug. If you try this method I suggest you use a cheap chinese wrench or similiar instead of ruining a snap-on or sk or other similiar good tool.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
seayahawaii

Re: It's tune-up time...

Post by seayahawaii »

I've found that cutting the rubber around the steering shaft and just peeling it back a bit will give just enough clearance for a short socket and a flex extension gives just enough room....I change my plugs every time I take my SC out so I've gotten pretty used to it... My wife has a Mini Cooper S and to change the alternator I had to pull the front bumper off so I guess every vehicle has it quirks !!!
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: It's tune-up time...

Post by Torskdoc »

I just pull off the steering shaft and move it up out of the way. Easier on my back. I've had to change that friggin LEFT Motor Mount every year now since 2007. Shitty Design. JTR has a semi hard mount that uses a 2.8 bushing that attaches to the frame and a hard mounting on the engine side. Should take care of the crappy mounts(at least on the left side).

I put in an Allied Electric Aluminum Distributor 3 years ago and haven't touched it since. The cap and rotor contacts are brass with the rotor contact having 2 retainers. Plug and Play, and a hell of a lot cheaper than a rebuilt Cardone crap distributor. Taylor Wires, and Autolite plugs. Delco Filters.
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT