Creaking sound.

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Creaking sound.

Post by green02crew »

When I turn the steering wheel it creaks whether I turn right or left coming from the front end. Also at times when weight shifts off of the front end, for example after heavy braking and the vehicle stops it shifts weight rearwards and creaks.

Any ideas?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Lube the t-bar sockets.
GM Superlube works great. Spray grease works too.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Will give that a try, thanks.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

Upper ball joint. That's what I found on my wifes 03 Blazer anyway. I had just greased it the weekend before when I did an oil change. I pumped it full of grease until the boot wouldn't hold any more and it finally quit.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Check your sway bar end link bushings. Mine was doing the same thing before I put in the urethane bushings.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I've gone urethane already so hopefully I can rule those out. I did just do an oil change/grease and checked the ball joints but that doesn't mean anything. May take some time to narrow the problem down. Especially since I just started a new job and am training 24/7. Thanks for the suggestions.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

The problem with my ball joints was not that they were loose. It was more like they were too tight and not letting grease in all the spots.

I found it by supporting the frame on jack stands and then raising and lowering the control arms with a bottle jack placed beneath the lower ball joint.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well the creaking noise has gotten louder. Now it makes almost a cracking noise at times too. I gave up and had it checked out and the shop wasn't too sure, they suggested possibly bump stops? I don't understand how those would be creaking.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I'd change shops for one thing. I would look at the t-bars and their mounts, definitely. I just came across a weird creaking on my other ride today. It was a lower front shock but, we are talking apples and oranges. Sway bars is something else to hose down with a synthetic friendly lubricant.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

My upper control arm bushings were doing that. I replaced them and haven't heard a creak since.
[size=75]-2001 s-10 crew - K&N intake, 2" PA body lift, tbar crank, bilstein shocks, 15" american racing baja rims, 31x10.5r15 bfg MUD terrains[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

UCAs is a good thing to check, I'll add that to my list tbars were lubed but no sense in not checking again.

Sway bars are make me curious now. The sound started just this spring. I had switched out bushings and gone with poly. Would poly make noise? I always assumed they were quite but awesome suggestions!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well I have found that if I rock the truck side to side I can recreate the creaking sound without the truck running. Now I still have yet to narrow it down, hard to rock the truck and tell where the creak is coming from at the same time!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

My friends Rock ! How bout yours? 8)
JimmyMac

Post by JimmyMac »

Sounds like the exact problem I just had. Ball Joints. When you turn steering wheel left or right creaking noise. I lubed everything and still had noise. Had in shop and they swore everything was tight. When truck is on lift they could not the see problem. By luck I found by having someone turn wheel sharply while truck sitting on ground and watch the joints. My one bottem driver side was the issue. No problems since.

Forgot to say after lubing everthing, I went after sway bar bushings. Thinking they were my problem. Changed both. Problem never went away. After I saw the bad ball joint I decided on the side of safety Id replace all. Only found one other that MAY have had an issue down the road a bit. The rest were good. Good Luck
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Re: creaking sound

Post by Rich K. »

green02crew wrote:Well I have found that if I rock the truck side to side I can recreate the creaking sound without the truck running. Now I still have yet to narrow it down, hard to rock the truck and tell where the creak is coming from at the same time!
I am curious if you ever narrowed this problem down. I know I had the exact same symptoms to include being able to rock the truck to recreate the noise. I also noticed that it occurs more noticably in cold weather. Since I cranked up my Tortion bars the noise is significantly reduced. I had this same noise on my Nissan Hardbody and it turned out to be my tortion bars. I greased them up where they fit into the IFS A-arms and that was the end of that. I don't want to pull my tortion bars on my CC since I just paid for an alignment.
[size=75]Drive it in, tow it out! Thats our motto...[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Creaking sound.

Post by green02crew »

It has since gone away. The only difference I did was my usual winter prep. I sprayed the entire underbody with bar and chain oil :lol:
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Re: Creaking sound.

Post by Rich K. »

I haven't heard mine at all lately. Could be the fact I had to replace both lower ball joints. Or, more likely the fact that I put some Marvelous Mystery oil in my fuel tank :idea:
[size=75]Drive it in, tow it out! Thats our motto...[/size]