FNG question

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

formeremployee01
Regular
Regular

FNG question

Post by formeremployee01 »

Newbie to this forum. Just grabbed a 02 Crew cab with tow and zr5 in indigo blue with 72000 at $10,900.

Was doing a brake job and finding what all needs to be done to make it roadworthy for me.

Dex is kinda low. I plan on flushing the system and putting in the green in 2 weeks. can water be added temporarily till the flushing?
The dex in radiator is looking good and orange like clear. The overflow is disgusting.

I also have a 97 s-10 extended cab 2.2 & a 2000 blazer 4,3 4x4.

Love the s-10 series. Will be posting more as time permits.

Mods to be done immediately:
Brake dust shields, Window visors, Dex flushing.

Mods done:
Front brake replacement, oil change, air filter, fluids top off.

Pics will be down the road.

Bill in Trenton, Ohio
Out
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Welcome :wave:

I would drop by the grocery store and get a gallon of distilled water to use for mixing with the coolant. Any left over can be used to mix with green after the flush. Be sure to pick up a new radiator cap.

Check all the fluid levels and conditions. You are right there at a milestone service job. The rear diff on G80 equipped trucks was supposed to be changed at the first oil change. It is one that regularly gets neglected. Eyeball its condition close. The transmissions benefit greatly from a good fluid flush and exchange. Check it close too.
Fuel filter should be added in now. You need to keep the pressure off of the fuel pump. They can be a problem too. Add a maintenance dose of cleaner and try to run on the top half of the tank as much as possible.

I am sure you know there is a ton of information here. Glad you found us. Welcome to the addiction ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
formeremployee01
Regular
Regular

Is the fuel filter on the inside of the frame under the driver seat like the blazers?

Rear differental, Does it use the regular gear case oil or something special? capacity?

previously replaced the fuel pump assembly on the blazer to repair the gauge problem. Be da_ _ ed if the new sending unit wasnt bad as well. Running on trip odometer now and will continue to do so. 200 miles and it gets filled up.
Also replaced the front wheel hub assemblies / bearings on the blazer as well. 3 TIMES. grrhhhhh.

Some of the other maintance will have to wait for a week or so. I did all three vehicles today on oil, air, and brakes. I am hurting.

hadn't thought of radiator cap.

How long does the HOT FEET FIX take? I am pretty capable mechanic.

And how hard was the 2nd gas tank mod that Brule did? $$$? time?

Thanks for the welcome,
Bill
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

What HenryJ said above X2! Welcome aboard :)
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
formeremployee01
Regular
Regular

why run on the top half of the fuel tank with the cleaner in it? I usually run a gas treatment, fuel system, fuel injectors and octane boost with 93 grade when we go on a day trip that will use the entire tank. That is roughly twice a year.
Bill
[size=75]1997 2.2 liter s-10 ls - 2000 Blazer 4.3l 4x4 - 2002 Crew Cab w ZR5 package
, 84 chevette.
Answers, I got lots of answers; Now if someone would just ask the correct questions.[/size]
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

welcome

and in the diffs...use synethic without slip additives. 75W-90 will work
http://www.royalpurple.com/gear-oil.html

and this in the transfer case
http://www.royalpurple.com/manual-trans ... fluid.html
yea the fuel filter is on the drives side frame rail
gas tank mod
http://www.s-10crewcab.com/~henryj/tank.html
and another thing to do
http://www.s-10crewcab.com/og1/modinfo/ ... airbox.htm
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

formeremployee01 wrote:why run on the top half of the fuel tank with the cleaner in it? I usually run a gas treatment, fuel system, fuel injectors and octane boost with 93 grade ...
Just a maintenance dose of cleaner every other oil change is enough. Run on the top half tank since the fuel is the cooling and lubrication for the fuel pump module assembly. There was a good article on octane, but is gone now. I really should have copied it here. Basically octane is the resistance to burn. Higher octane is harder to burn. You do not need higher than is required to prevent preignition. More than that is not beneficial. Our trucks should not require high octane. Use mileage as your gauge. If you get better mileage on a mid grade and it is cost effective, go for it. I do not see the need for premium fuel in a stock engine.

There are threads on the rear differential lubricant recommendations. I am not an advocate of synthetic use for the G80.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
tomtk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: FNG question

Post by tomtk »

formeremployee01 wrote:Newbie to this forum. Just grabbed a 02 Crew cab with tow and zr5 in indigo blue with 72000 at $10,900.

Was doing a brake job and finding what all needs to be done to make it roadworthy for me.

Dex is kinda low. I plan on flushing the system and putting in the green in 2 weeks. can water be added temporarily till the flushing?
The dex in radiator is looking good and orange like clear. The overflow is disgusting.

I also have a 97 s-10 extended cab 2.2 & a 2000 blazer 4,3 4x4.

Love the s-10 series. Will be posting more as time permits.

Mods to be done immediately:
Brake dust shields, Window visors, Dex flushing.

Mods done:
Front brake replacement, oil change, air filter, fluids top off.

Pics will be down the road.

Bill in Trenton, Ohio
Out
!. find out if intake gaskets have been changed out mine is a 2002 and only 54000 and they were leaking. Use the Fel pro perma dry ones

2. Peak Global lifetime NO SILICATES, NO 2EHA formula...the 2EHA in Dexcool is what eats the stock plastic gaskets