Need Help CC Wont Start

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

mlundberg

Need Help CC Wont Start

Post by mlundberg »

Last monday got up at 6AM to go to work and the truck turned over but seemed like not getting Gas. so I took the car to work came home 7pm and it fired right up. this tuesday I went out and same thing happened so I left it sit but it wouldnt start after I got home. Now its thur night and still wont start. I was told to check for pressure in the fuel line and there was none. swapped relay with ac relay and no luck. Any ideas Guys? Fuel filter? Fuel Pump? FYI I have an 02 crew zr5 100000 miles bought it with 93000 on it. I'm just learning about fixing things little by little.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Take the gas cap off and put your ear to it. Have a friend turn the key to the on position. Do you hear a buzzing sound?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
mlundberg

Post by mlundberg »

No I didnt hear anything
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Fuel pump replacement would be my choice. Change the fuel filter too. Buy the assembly as the fuel pump sender is not far from failing , if it has not already. Buy only an AC Delco unit. Others are not worth your time to install. Been there dun'dat.
Run on the top half of the tank as much as possible. Fuel is the coolant and lubricant for the module assembly.
Add a dose of cleaner every other oil change to discourage deposits.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
mlundberg

Post by mlundberg »

What kind of job is the fuel pump replacement? any "how to" info on the net you know of?
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

whoa....check the fuses first before tearing into the pump
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

raven2510 wrote:whoa....check the fuses first before tearing into the pump
He already went as far as swapping relays. My guess is that checking fuses came before he went that far.
As suspects go the fuel pump failure is much more common than relay or fuse problems. Actually if the relay or fuse is bad, the pump failure is likely the cause.

It is not too difficult a job. You need to drop the tank. That will require removing the filler neck, vent, fuel and return lines as well as electrical connectors. I find it easier to remove the driveshaft to give me some breathing room.

You will need to siphon out the gas to lighten the load. Murphy's Law says it is always full when the pump dies. Plan on half a day at least.
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
bowtieman
Regular
Regular

won't start

Post by bowtieman »

I have had that problem for a little while now but you can hear my fuel pump in the driver seat its pretty loud..buzz that is.... I can tell when im getting low on fuel because its gets really loud...the other day I took off the air intake off the carb and it started right up...does it seem that it wants to turn over and start but is starving for something thats what mine seems like...it has only done two times in about a month so not sure I just cut my air box to give it more air so well see if it does it again...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: won't start

Post by F9K9 »

bowtieman wrote:..the other day I took off the air intake off the carb and it started right up...does it seem that it wants to turn over and start but is starving for something thats what mine seems like......
Okay, you're either old like me or somewhat new. I see you are from TX so, feel free to join TXZR2.com

A ZR2 package is not required there. Running anything other than the ACDelco units has created havoc for a lot of folks. I was held up several hours this past yr when a knowledgeable BlaZeR2 member used something other than ACDelco. It's highway robbery but, on this part, it's the only one that holds up.

Get friendly with your trip odometer, forget the fuel gauge and keep the tank over the halfway mark.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
genuinechevyguy

Needs a new fuel pump

Post by genuinechevyguy »

My 03 S-10 CC did the same thing over the 4th of July weekend. AAA came out to give me a tow on Saturday, he said he thought something would work as he took out a tire iron, and hit the bottom of the fuel tank as I tried to start it. It started, but that was the temporary fix, the next day (Sunday of all days) it wouldn't start at all. I had it towed to a Pep Boys and spent $1,100 on a new fuel pump, and at the same time they discovered a crack in the fuel tank which was triggering a fuel cap code for the SES light.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Last I heard the units were around $300. $800 buys allot of tools and beer to have someone help you DIY :)
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That probably included a new fuel tank too. Not the first time we have heard of a cracked filler neck requiring a fuel tank replacement.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:..........Not the first time we have heard..........
Very true!
genuinechevyguy

Post by genuinechevyguy »

That $1,100 didn't include a new fuel tank unfortunately. They just put the new pump in and I have to epoxy the hole in the tank some time this weekend. I felt ripped off, but at least I was able to get back home the same day since I wouldn't get paid for the holiday if I didn't show up on that Monday.
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

fuel pump fuse

Post by snowsurfer »

where's the fuel pump fuse located 03 crew?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: fuel pump fuse

Post by HenryJ »

snowsurfer wrote:where's the fuel pump fuse located 03 crew?
In the under hood electrical center there is a fuse ECM B that has the fuel pump module as part of its load. IGN C has the fuel pump listed. There is also a fuel pump relay.

All under the hood. If your pump is not running, suspect the pump failure and the need for a new module assembly.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

troubleshooting

Post by snowsurfer »

Thanks, I checked those already all good, swapped AC relay with pump relay no change....got spark, fuel in the tank, turns over strong (battery), anything I missed?
Trying to do everything before having to drop the tank......
Thanks for the help...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: troubleshooting

Post by HenryJ »

snowsurfer wrote: anything I missed?
Listen for w whirring / buzzing sound. Take the cap off and have someone turn the key to the on position so you can listen.
No whirring means it is time to get a new fuel pump module assembly. Buy AC Delco and do it once , or buy aftermarket / non OEM and keep doing it over and over.
Treat your new pump better. Run on the top half of the tank as much as possible. Fuel is the coolant and lubricant for the assembly. Use good fuel and treat it with some injector cleaner every other oil change. Avoid Techron additives and any other that creates a coating on the parts. This is done to protect them, but is a real problem for the sender and injectors.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snowsurfer »

no noise, looks like time to change the pump...any helpful hints in doing this?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check out a couple of the recent threads on the subject. It is not too difficult.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snowsurfer »

thanks for the help and advice...