defroster

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

formeremployee01
Regular
Regular

defroster

Post by formeremployee01 »

Got a small problem. Went to use my defroster the other morning and it is not working correctly.

I can turn the controller to defrost or floor/defrost and the air blows out the vents only. The vents where the AC comes out. AC works good, but i will be needing the floor/defrost and the defrost coming up soon.

Will the fix for this be something in line with the hot feet fix also?

I do not hear any of the { ? flaps ? } moving inside the dash.

Thanks for your help
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check out the transfercase switch thread.

Seems like I have seen this before. I would search air+vents for some information.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
formeremployee01
Regular
Regular

In reference to this thread:

http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewt ... ase+switch

i ordered the new switch and some other parts. It isnt gonna hurt to change it, but i am afraid from what i was reading that it is too late.

So my next ?????? I have a 2000 blazer also, is there an issue with this switch and the blazer as well? possibly tied together somehow? No indications yet, just kinda asking a preventive ???????

If i have fluid in the lines, what is my next course of action? besides replacing switch?

Thanks for all the help so far fellows. BIG HELP
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

formeremployee01 wrote:I have a 2000 blazer also, is there an issue with this switch and the blazer as well?
Maybe. If it is Autotrac , then probably not. Worth a look , or feel if it has shields.
formeremployee01 wrote:If i have fluid in the lines, what is my next course of action? besides replacing switch?
Chase it and see how far it went. The vacuum reservoir in the left front fender is a place it might pool. The HVAC selector switch has been known to fail. The lines would need to be replaced. Anything that cleans them out would likely destroy them. A light coat of fluid may be ok, if they get blown out. If it has gone as far as contaminating everything including the slave actuators for the HVAC doors, a complete replacement may be the course of action.

Lots to check.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
formeremployee01
Regular
Regular

Well, i pulled out the old transfer case swith and found fluid in all 3 lines. When i pulled the lines off the fluid started coming out immediately. It started to pool up on the concrete floor when hung low. I put in the new switch and crossed fingers and gave it a try.
Nothing at all happened. There was nothing new in the defrost area controls.
I followed the 3 lines up to the back side of the motor from below the crew. I lost the 3 line assembly after that. I try looking in the brake booster area under the hood on the drivers side and didnt see any of the lines that looked familar. It occured to me that i havent a clue what the resivor might look like. Anybody got pictures that might help of the resivor?
I also looked behind the glove box and did not see any of the lines that look like what i am chasing. I did the hot feet fix while the glove box was down. If there is one of the lines i need to look at in the picture from the hot feet fix, would someone please point it out? :?
I am afraid i am going to have to pull the dash out to replace acuators :twisted:

If anyone can guide me in the right or left direction, i would appreciate it. Got 2 weeks vacation and only plan on fixing this issue.

Thanks fellows..........
formeremployee01
Regular
Regular

After my last post, i went in and searched for HVAC Selector Switch. I came across this post.

http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewt ... tor+switch

When i was looking earlier i noticed that the same line was off on mine. I searched and got the connection back together and waa la.

I got all my HVAC controls again. :shock: :D 8)

I think the Transfer case switch thread and the vacuum resivor line thread ought to be tied together.

WOO HOO
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

CingratsImage!

Did you clean the lines out?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
formeremployee01
Regular
Regular

i need to find where the other 2 vacuum lines go to from the transfer case switch. I found the one going to the resivoir. Just gotta find where the other 2 go. I know there is a tee fitting above the transfer case switch and will need cleaned also.
When i find all the lines i am gonna remove the 3 off the switch and put the air compressor on them to blow em all out.

Any idea where the other two lines go?

1: to the vac resivoir
2. ?
3. ? with a tee that needs blown out
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

One to the vacuum source, reservoir / intake, one to the front axle actuator and one I believe is a breather near the transmission dipstick tube.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
formeremployee01
Regular
Regular

Got underneath and blew the lines out with an air compressor running 110 psi throught the lines with the 3 lines disconnected from the switch. Not much fluid came out. I was suprised. I believe that there was not as much damage as i thought and with the vac line off the resivoir. That is what saved me a lot of trouble.

front axle actuator: I know henryJ was being helpful, but that term was kinda misleading to me. I found the line was in the tee from the 3 line at the switch and the front driveshaft runs down the drivers side. The line went to the case behind the drivers seat area under the truck. Am i interpereting this incorrectly?

I blew out at the vacuum resivoir, The breather near the transmission dipstick tube, and at the tee fitting near the switch.

Everything else so far is good.

To all who helped me....

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!

Bill