Rear Flare Issues

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Rear Flare Issues

Post by green02crew »

The Non-ZR5 rear faux flare seems to be having some problems. I guess they are held on with a metal bracket that they are riveted to then to the bed on the truck, atleast I think thats how its done I can't really tell. Doesn't make much sense but the bracket rusted out anyways and the flare went plunk on the ground. No damage or anything.

I used some self tapping screws and screwed it in. This is only on the drivers side where the rust is much worse. I also have a ring that I just noticed where the paint was gone from the flare rubbing, same on both sides.

Anyone else have this issue?

Would this be covered under our "rust through" warranty seeing as the brackets have rusted through?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

The ZR5 flares rubbed and created paint damage. I doubt you'll have any luck with the corrosion warranty but, hopefully, I am wrong.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Yeah I don't imagine I will but no reason not to inquire. I have it fixed to my liking now and it won't rub anymore with the size screws I added and all, its a tight fit.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
okie s10
Crew
Crew

Post by okie s10 »

f9k9 wrote:The ZR5 flares rubbed and created paint damage. I doubt you'll have any luck with the corrosion warranty but, hopefully, I am wrong.
I put Zr5 flares on my truck(before I got some Skidz) and didn't have the rubber welting to go on the edge. I used small rubber vaccum hose from parts store, slit it, put it on the edge next to paint, and yeah buddy, it works good and doesn't look half bad.
[size=75]---Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans............John Lennon[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Thats a good idea! Did you ditch the zr5 flares?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

My stock ZR5 flares started chipping along the edges. A few days before my factory warranty ran out, I had them all replaced for free :) Underneath there weren't any rubbing issues with the paint coming off of the body.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well other than being very difficult to understand, the flare is not covered on the rust warranty. Apparently it only covers the metal without outside influence. Makes perfect sense, seeing as the vehicle is sealed airtight covered in a garage 24/7. But anyways so the flare mounts were rusted due to salt and environmental issues hence they are not covered. The metal has to rust on its own with no paint removal accelerating it or outside influence. If all that makes sense to you guys. The warranty only covers initial flaws in the metal, rusting from the inside out.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Yeah, my passenger side flare came off last year or so, and asked for part numbers of those mounting brackets.....but nobody found them. The flare is sitting behind my couch next to the front door. The metal brackets are actually mounted with rivet type bolt & nut. However, all the mounting hardware is completely rusted on mine & I have to drill'em out & paint any part of the hole that I'll scratch. I can't get'em unbolted. Actually, my driver side is aboutto fall off too, but I think I'm going to Line-X the truck from front to back following the ine that goes above both fender flares & door protector strip.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I had looked into that... very pricey.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab