New starter ?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

New starter ?

Post by PATRICKH »

How much of a bitch is the starter to replace ? Don't have access to a lift, can I do it on ramps or Jackstands.

On a side note, bought a house with 3 car garage, so NOW i have a place to work on the truck.
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

No comments. This scares me.
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:lol:
It is not a fun place to go. It takes some maneuvering to get it out between the front axle tube and bell housing. A body lift makes it a little easier.
I don't envy you the task, but with time and patience it can be done.
I would have the frontend up on ramps. and maybe even jack up the front a little for some extra space.

I am sure you plan to , but replace the solenoid with new even if it tests good. It is a wear item and does not last forever. The contacts wear out.
Last edited by HenryJ on Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Starters usually are easy to replace but I am not familiar with whether ours our as easy to get to as on my k1500, I did that one in 20 minutes in my driveway hard part is holding it in place while bolting it up (they are a bit heavy). Right now I can't even take a look to see how bad it would be since my crew is DEAD at the dealership right now.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote::lol: ...................t is not a fun place to go............
I have heard Brule say something similar within the last 4+ yrs and it scares me. I am thinking that it maybe nice to combine several maintenance items when doing this one. Poly motor mounts comes to mind :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Sonoma GT
Crew
Crew

Post by Sonoma GT »

My starter died shortly after I bought my Crew 2 years ago and I still have bad memories about replacing it. It is tough to get out. Every other starter that I've ever replaced was easy compared to this. It does come out though. Replacing the wires on the new one was not easy either. Good Luck.