Fuel spitting out filler neck.

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

jflatley
Crew
Crew

Fuel spitting out filler neck.

Post by jflatley »

Hello,

I tried the search to no prevail.

2004 S10 CC. 2" BL

I was on my way to work the other day, the Service Engine Light came on. Not to long after that, my Low Fuel light came on. I was only a mile or so from the building so I parked it and went to work. Came out went across the street to the Texaco to get gas and damn if I couldn't get any gas in the tank.

It would allow up to almost half a gallon and then start spitting it out of filler neck. The filler hose is not busted. I pulled the inner fender well out to look at the hose. If I grab the hose and squeeze it, it sounds and feels like the air is bubbling out of the tank through the hose.

I pulled the fuel hose off of the truck today to look at it. There are no obtrusions in the hose. PUt it back on at a different angle to see if the air was just locking in there some how. Went to the pump and the same thing happened.

Is there a vent line that might have gotten clogged? Could the filler hose be bad to not be letting any fuel get through?

I am lost on this one. I thought I fixed it but NO
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Is the tank full?, or are you having filler tube problems?

I am going to take a shot and say your answer is here: Blocked tank vent; evap canister causing overflow at filler?

Here is some more information:
Fuel Filler Neck Pipe Leak - Best Fix?
GM data wrote:Fuel Spits Back/Out When Filling Tank (Replace Fuel Filler Pipe Assembly) #03-06-04-058 - (Oct 2, 2003)
Fuel Spits Back/Out When Filling Tank (Replace Fuel Filler Pipe Assembly)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Crew Cab Pickups

2003 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab Pickups

Built Prior to July, 2003
Condition

Some customers may comment that when filling the fuel tank, a small amount of fuel may spit back/out.
Correction

Replace the fuel tank filler pipe assembly with P/N 15124302. This new fuel tank filler pipe has an updated check valve as part of assembly which has been released to correct this condition. Refer to the Filler Tube Replacement procedure in the Engine Controls sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #692074).
BTW, I edited your title to fit your problem.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jflatley
Crew
Crew

Post by jflatley »

Alright, I am going to check the EVAP canister hookups and filter.

Mine was almost bone empty and none of the hoses underneath are wet from gas. Th top of the tank is dry. I pulled the filler neck off today and inspected it. Looked good to me.

Almost seems that there is an air lock in the filler neck. When I grab the hose and squeeze it I can feel air bubbles coming up from the tank and gas going down. I then can put another quarter to half gallon in before it spits back out the top.

Air out
Gas in

If air can't get out, gas can't get in.

I will pull the filler hose back off tomorrow and inspect it again to see if the inner check valve is working.
jflatley
Crew
Crew

Post by jflatley »

If nothing else, I will have to replace the filler neck.

Can I use the one off of the F250 parts truck? Or can you buy a generic one that is of a larger diameter?

Does it need that check valve in there? Can I put a filler hose with no check valve in teh filler hose?