Strange Idle

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Strange Idle

Post by green02crew »

When idling in gear it stays about 600rmp but the truck will drop to about 500 rpm and the lights dim slightly, oil pressure drops. Not even that noticeable but you can tell it does have a slight change in idle. Any thoughts on causes or remedies? Maybe time for a tuneup again even though its only been a year.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Clean the throttle bore, IAC valve and EGR valve if yours has one.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I did clean the throttle recently and no EGR, what are the proper ways of cleaning the IAC valve? Is that the part with the electrical plug on it?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Clean it with the same throttle bore cleaner you used. It is that opening in the side near the back. I would not remove it as you could damage it on the reinstall.
If the sticky situation persists removal and replacement of the IAC valve may be required.

The IAC valve is what controls the idle. The hole in the TB is required and if it is plugging, there can be some erratic behavior.

Keep in mind that the AC clutch cycles in all but one or two HVAC control positions. This can alter the idle a litttle and is normal.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
PGH04ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by PGH04ZR5 »

To pigback on this strange idle topic, i thought i saw it in another topic but have failed to find it again...

On cold starts my truck will idle around 1000RPM until the engine comes to temp and then will lower to 5-600.

It this something i should be worried about? i contributed part of it for the K&N and the cold weather...
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Strange Idle

Post by barch97 »

green02crew wrote:Strange Idle
I couldn't help but think of Mooby.

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

:?: Mooby??? Must be a local or an inside joke. :shrug:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Idle = idol
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Okay, guess I was a little slow on the uptake on that one. :trex: Gottcha now. :idea: :lol:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

roadrunner wrote:Okay, guess I was a little slow.........
NP, you still pay for a mean breakfast :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Glad you enjoyed. I did as well. :) 8)