Service Engine Soon...

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Service Engine Soon...

Post by Rockrz »

Today, my "Service Engine Soon" light came on, and I haven't done anything under the hood (no experiments, or mods) yet at all since I got the truck other than an oil change.

And, it's a little over 3,000 miles since I've changed the oil which was right when I first got the truck. It's about to hit 80,000 miles, and it's running perfectly too.

My grandpaw had a Cadillac that would show the "Service Engine Soon" light when the oil got a little dirty and all you had to do to turn it off was change the oil & filter.

So, I'm wondering...do any of these late model S10s have one of those systems that "reads" your oil and lets you know it's time to change it?

So, Just curious if this might be what's goin on, or do I need to read the codes and see what else is goin on...?
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

My SES light was coming on recently. Autozone or Advance auto will read that code for free while you wait. Turns out mine was a temp sensor code. But a faulty thermostat will cause the SES light to come on. What is your temp gauge reading. Is it running cooler that what it usually does? My thermostat was intermittenly sticking open. New T stat, no problems.
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Oh, I have my own scanner...I was just curious to know if GM put the oil reading system on these trucks.

I'm off tomorrow so I'll be out in the shop doing some work on the truck.
It's ready for an oil change anyway, so I'm going with Amzoil and one of their fancy high end filters.

I'll pull codes and see which one is showing. I'm sure it's probably something simple since the truck is running and idling perfectly.
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

Ahh, that's a nice tool to have. I don't know about the oil reading system. I haven't read or heard about that for these trucks but you never know. I bet the weather is nicer in Texas about now.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

No oil life indicators or sensors on these trucks.

Did you fill up recently? Check the gas cap.
If you can not read the code, you might try clearing it and see if it returns.
remember that the MIL is a "You're polluting the atmosphere" lamp, not a "Gloom and doom" for the engine light.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

No oil service reminder I'm aware of on our trucks. Likely you'll find a code of some sort. I have been VERY happy and satisfied with my Scan Gauge II since installing it. While it does not tell you what the codes represent it does allow you to read and clear them on the fly. I have a scanner besides anyway but really like the features on the installed SGII.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

I have a brand new gas cap. One of the first things I always do when getting a new vehicle is buy a Stant locking gas cap.

I'll plug my scanner in tomorrow and see what's going on, and will also double check the gas cap to make sure it's clean and sealing good.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Make sure it is properly rated too. Many do not meet the specifications for proper pressurization. There are several different caps using different spring rates.

Read the code and see if it is a evaporative emissions vent system code.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

OK, so I did have a P0442 code...

And, I realized that although I had purchased a nice new Stant locking gas cap, I hadn't actually put it on my truck...so I did that and erased the code. The new cap should take care of this one.

And, I also had a P0128 code...so I'm going to install a new fail-safe t-stat here in the next few days. Hopefully that will solve that one. Installing a new fail-safe t-stat is something I like to do first off when getting a new vehicle, I just haven't taken the time to do it yet. (I've only driven the truck about 5,000 miles since I bought it)

At any rate, I've cleared the codes and they haven't come back yet so I'll keep an eye on them.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Use a stat that retains the bypass valve.

The P0128 takes 13 failures to set IIRC, the P0442 is only a couple, but conditions for testing are rather restricting, so it may take a while to have the correct conditions.

If you don't think it is the cap and the P0442 sets again, check for a dirty evap vent valve. There is a good thread on that one and your options.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

The fail-safe t-stat I like to use does have a by pass valve. I like them because if they fail, they stick in the open position so your engine is less likely to overheat.

Once the weather warms up, I'm going to flush the system and get that nasty OE coolant out of there. Then I'm going to change the hoses and do a new water pump since the truck is now hitting 80,000 miles.

Between all that, and a new t-stat (which I will do in the next couple days) I should be good on the cooling system.

On the gas cap...the old one looked like the seal was breaking down. I think it was the original cap that came with the truck. It didn't look like it was sealing very good, so hopefully putting that new cap on will take care of that.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Rockrz wrote:..............Once the weather warms up, I'm going to flush the system and get that nasty OE coolant out of there. Then I'm going to change the hoses and do a new water pump since the truck is now hitting 80,000 miles.........
Sounds like a good plan. If, you have it that far torn apart I would invest in a transmission cooler ($30+) and a new belt. The cooler would be an easy install. Just my Image
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]