Driver's side door hinge pins....

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Driver's side door hinge pins....

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

Has anyone everchange their worn hinge pins? My latch is taking a beating.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Thanks Henry
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

If you have the spring tool and the door pin punch, it makes the job easier. Not really needed for the job, but it makes the job easier and faster.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

rlrnr53 wrote:If you have the spring tool and the door pin punch, it makes the job easier. Not really needed for the job, but it makes the job easier and faster.
I bought new pins today but can't locate the spring tool around here. Figures. I would like to have that pin punch too. Ebay??
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

YellowCrewCabber wrote:
rlrnr53 wrote:If you have the spring tool and the door pin punch, it makes the job easier. Not really needed for the job, but it makes the job easier and faster.
I bought new pins today but can't locate the spring tool around here. Figures. I would like to have that pin punch too. Ebay??
I purchased my door spring tool on e-bay a few years back for about $20 shipped (S&G Tool Aide) brand.

A punch is not needed to remove the bronze bushings, but I buess it would help if they were really stuck in the hinge.

Steve
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I purchased mine online. Only took a few days for delivery.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ta87675.html
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

BADs Crew wrote:I purchased mine online. Only took a few days for delivery.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ta87675.html
Thanks for the link. I think that's the best price I've seen for that tool and I'm gonna get it.
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

UPDATE

AHH!! Got this project off my to do list today. :) Visiting my mom and step father down here in northern Alabama. (east of muscle shoals) Pops held the door upright on a bucket and 2x4 while I replaced the pins and bushings. The pins drove right out not hard at all. I was very :shock: . The top bushings practically fell out. LOL The bottom ones had to be tapped out with a punch. The door spring was a PITA. I used a door spring tool but it just didn't quite work all that great (ebay) :shrug: but with my natural mechanical abilities :P I managed. HenryJ, the "mini press" as I'll call it, (bolt and washer set up) worked like a charm. Not fast but did not damage a thing. The door closes oh soooo much nicer now. I'm stoked. :cheers:
Jeff
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Well done! I can not take credit for the bolt and socket press, but you are right it does work nicely.

Keep your favorite lube on them and they will last a long time now.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

It's been 4 days now and I am still getting used to the new hinge pins. My arm is so used to pulling harder that I am slamming the door now. I also noticed the window glass seals better now also. I wish I'd done this much sooner. :thumb:
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

Mines at the dealership today getting the drivers pins replaced. They have to reweld and drill mine. More egg shaped and bushing totally gone...but for $180 bucks, its worth it in my eyes.
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
COMING: ?[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

$20 for a door spring tool..... :!: ....I got my door spring tool at the local Carquest for $8.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

WVHogRider wrote:$20 for a door spring tool..... :!: ....I got my door spring tool at the local Carquest for $8.
Yeah that's a bit steep. I could not find one locally anywhere(including Carquest) The one I did get is not all that wonderful.(ebay) :idiot: Next time I see the Mac tool van parked somewhere I'll check it out.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I know this thread is dead, but incase any one searches for it, I had to do this to my old 2wd s-10. I got my spring press tool from ebay as well.

If you Harbor Frieght around, they have em too, cheap. Wish I had known that before getting mine offline.

My experiance with the spring tool was slightly frustrating. but not ever all bad.

I will probbaly have to change my door pins/bushings sometime soon, the drivers side bushing liike like its cracked and there is a slightly droop in the door.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

On my old Blazer I made my own bushings.. I think I'm going to go buy some new ones and make some more. Looks like my Jimmy will be needing them soon. I make them out of stainless steal. They last forever.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Thats pretty awesome. too bad they only sell em in brass, or whatever they are. Soft.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Yea.. They break just installing them some times...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
jayhawkclint
Regular
Regular

Post by jayhawkclint »

I noticed in the write-up it recommends separating the door from the body. I think a better way is to do it one pin at a time; I was able to safely change out my pins without the assitance of a helper holding up the door for me. Also, I noticed in the photos a picture of a pail with a plastic tool case resting on it. I think a better solution is a floor jack with an old towel for padding to hold the door steady, and you can use the floor jack to make adjustments up/down when you go to put the new pins in.