Temp not going over 160

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

coolpick
Regular
Regular

Temp not going over 160

Post by coolpick »

Its ungodly cold the other night, anyways, warmed up the truck for awhile, and drove around. I noticed my temp wasn't going over 160 usually its around the 190-200 region. Should i be worried?

Oh BTW when you get in your trucks first thing in the morning when its really cold, does your suspension kind of pop/crack, when some weight is placed on it. My roommate's ZR2 does the same thing.
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

the heat this it fine. it was -3* yesterday and it takes like an hour to get to operating temp
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
coolpick
Regular
Regular

Post by coolpick »

Thanks for the quick reply. It snowed early this morning, and I wanted to go play in it in the snow, so I was just making sure.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The thermostat controls the engine temperature , not the climate. In most cases.
If it does not warm up to operating temperature, you may have a problem with your thermostat.
Make sure the coolant if full too.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

It's -30 C here and my temp guage won't go above 70 C.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

blaz wrote:It's -30 C here and my temp guage won't go above 70 C.
Year ,make and model please.

S-series prior to the crew cab line do not set a code until below 158 F or 70 C.

Crew cabs will set the MIL after consecutive failures to reach 178 F.

For a crew cab with the stock thermostat if you do not reach 178 F , you have a problem.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

2005 blazer, The coolant is full and the temp. will not rise above 70 C. If the T-stat is stuck open will the temp even get that high? When my grand-am T-stat stuck open the temp wouldn't even register on the gauge. What else would cause this to happen? This appears to be the same problem coolpick has so I figured I would see if this was normal.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That cold will set the MIL if it continues. The temp could get that high if it were stuck open. Don't trust the stock gauge to give you accurate readings.
No more than the price of a new stat, I would sure try one.
If you are the type to test things you can put your stat in a pan of water. Heat it and use a thermometer to measure when it opens fully. Obviously if it is open and cold, you have a problem.

Worth a look for sure.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

If I don't rely on the stock temp. guage, what do I rely on? Also should I change the coolant to get away from dex cool or were the problems related to dex cool solved by 2005. I have not chanced my coolant yet, what is the recomended interval for the coolant?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

A very long flush and get away from Dexcool. You will not get it all out unless you do a thorough search and go to efforts to do it now. Anything other than Dex will be fine. Changing your tstat to eliminate that as the culprit is a good start.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you have access to a IR temp gun, that will work. The temp gauge for AC that push in the radiator will work too. They kind of look like a meat thermometer, which might work too?
A scan tool, ScanguageII, etc. Lots of choices. Just don't trust the stock gauge to be accurate until confirmed.
Newer vehicles are supposed to be better with Dex, but I say dump it and go green. Either that or watch it closely.

There are plenty of Dex threads, read them for more information. Recommendations for flushing and additives are there too.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Man, if it's THAT cold...you should try getting some cardboard and coverup about 80% of your radiator to prevent some of that cold, cold air from getting into the radiator. (something the truckers have been doing on their big rigs for years, which is where I originally got the idea from)

I've been doing that for years when it gets down into the 20s cause it makers my heater work muchy better and brings the temp gauge up to where it normally runs on a hot summer day.

I think it would be cool to rig up some fins that you can push a button and close of air to 80% of your radiator so you don't have to get all ghetto with the cardboard
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Yeah, my cc will make all kinds of odd noises when it's cold out.
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

Replaced the t-stat today and the temp is back to where it should be. :D Thanks.
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Yeah, I was getting an occasional code showing my coolant wasn't getting warm enough, so I installed a new "Fail Safe" 195 degree t-stat.

Now, my truck warms up to just under 210.
Is that was other S10 trcuks read?
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Rockrz wrote:............Is that was other S10 trcuks read?
The needle was meant to stick up at 12 o'clock at 210*. Some just prefer to run a them a "little" colder.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Great...so I'm normal for once 8)
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

f9k9 wrote:The needle was meant to stick up at 12 o'clock at 210*. Some just prefer to run a them a "little" colder.
My 12 o'clock reads 100! :lol:
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Canadian Truck ??
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

With a 180 degree t-stat my gauge reads 2 lines below the 210 mark.

My 210 mark is @ 12 o'clock on my temp gauge.

Steve
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

04crewvt wrote:Canadian Truck ??
Yes, I'm in canada, but I'm thinking the USA weather looks much better this time of year. It was -39 ( I think that is the same in F or C ) here yesterday.
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

blaz wrote:
04crewvt wrote:Canadian Truck ??
Yes, I'm in canada, but I'm thinking the USA weather looks much better this time of year. It was -39 ( I think that is the same in F or C ) here yesterday.
Oh God that just made me shiver.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

-40 is the official equal point on the F to C conversion chart but yea that's close enough to OMG it's freaking cold out. I joke I moved to Vermont to get away from winter weather after spending nearly 7 years in Potsdam NY we would usually get the -40 temps for a week or so straight each winter around now where we felt lucky when the high for the day hit -20F
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

04crewvt wrote:-40 is the official equal point on the F to C conversion chart but yea that's close enough to OMG it's freaking cold out. I joke I moved to Vermont to get away from winter weather after spending nearly 7 years in Potsdam NY we would usually get the -40 temps for a week or so straight each winter around now where we felt lucky when the high for the day hit -20F
Does -20 actually fee warmer than-40??
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Yup- At least for the first few minutes outside. :shock:
sonoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sonoma »

i have a heat problem now as well.
just noticed that i lose my heat and have cold air blowing and will notice my temp gauge will fluctuate as well. the heat will come back over time but will lose it again and it repeats off and on but i have noticed it more in the city than when im driving on highway.
could this be a tstat problem or do i have other problems??
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Might be air in the system, or the stat. Make sure you are not using the stock cap. Get a good one with a spring loaded relief. Purge the air. Make sure the expansion tank is full to the hot mark when cold.

A new thermostat is cheap. It might be worth replacing just for the peace of mind.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

HenryJ wrote:A new thermostat is cheap. It might be worth replacing just for the peace of mind.
It is also a quick easy job, no problems. I reused the wrap around gasket but I would have bought a new one if I knew I needed one when at the part's store, just a heads up.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

My new thermostat came with a new seal. I got the fail safe one. When it goes bad it is open so you don't burn up the motor.
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

Jongo8 wrote:My new thermostat came with a new seal. I got the fail safe one. When it goes bad it is open so you don't burn up the motor.
I also got a fail safe. I asked the parts person if I needed a gasket and he just gave me a blank stare. I know for next time.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Don't you hate that.. Makes you want to slap him...
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Temp not going over 160

Post by blaz »

So my T-stat went again today, 16 months. I replaced it today (aways easier the second time). :D

The question this time is;

The check engine light came on, will it clear it's self after so many cycles or do I have to disconnect the battery?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

blaz wrote:So my T-stat went again today...will it clear it's self after so many cycles or do I have to disconnect the battery?
Yes to both.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

HenryJ wrote:Yes to both.

Does that mean either way will work?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yes.

Personally I'd clear it and start fresh.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

Wow, fast with the answers!

Thanks again. :rock:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You are using a quality stat with the bypass valve, right? How about the coolant? Have you gone green and changed it every two years?

Don't forget to add some "Redline Water Wetter"

- ThunderII KE7CSK
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

Warranty is now finished, so green will be going in this summer. Just have to find the flush instructions on here. As for a quality T-stat yes, fail safe and I think the brand was stant?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds good. The "Orange stuff" is a problem for these engines. The next gen V , the 5.3L seems to be doing better with it. Way too many variables to say why for sure.

- ThunderII KE7CSK