Post Precat Removal and gas mileage

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Ok so change from last tank to this tank: 1.2 mpg increase. Could be contributed to many things but same driving style, same routes, pretty much same weather too. Not a huge difference but I'm almost up to 13mpg! I don't know why my fuel economy sucks so bad. Only thing I can think of is the tires?? It is city driving but still.

Sounds slightly better but thats about all I'm getting for difference. Worthwhile mod since it was only a couple bucks and easy/quick to do.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Is your speedometer calibrated correctly? Mine was off from the factory.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

Don't mean to hijack but this got me thinking about comparison. City driving I can get around 230 to 240 miles on a tank. (That's pushing it)I am running 235/70 size tires on mine with no other mods. Speedo has not been recalibrated. Occasionally the police will set up portable "radar bots" to let you know how fast you're going. According to the radar my speedo is accurate.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I may end up splitting this topic, but it is a good subject. Mine came with the optional 235/75-15 tires and was off nearly 5% IIRC.
A GPS works ok to check and the mile markers with a stop watch works too. It really is worth checking. I though mine was getting really good gas mileage, until I straightened out the speedometer. Then it was back to the norm.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I go by the scangauge, it was set to tire size and verified by GPS.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

I switched to 30 in. tires, and now my speedo is dead on.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

It depends on which tires I have on, my pcm was reprogrammed and is accurate on one set not the other, this is the accurate set sadly. I still go by the scangauge and verify with mileage reading.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Scangauge is only going to read what the PCM tells it. It will be the same as the speedometer.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

I had the same experience with the 235/75-15 OEM, the speedo was off.
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is almost like they over compensated with the recalibration. I was showing over 20 mpg regularly. I came down to reality when it was corrected.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Just returned from Denver yesterday. Avg temp 25F winds quartering (running East on I 70) from SE at 10-15mph speeds consistently limit plus 4mph (all 70-75mph range). Average mpg for return trip verified by mile markers, trip odometer, and scan gauge with gas measured in sitting in same position 21.8mpg. Miles, speeds, gallons used, and distance were consistent between actual and scan gauge recordings. Truck is stock except for noted mods on my sig line. Tires are 235x75x15 BFG AT KO's @50psi cold. This trip from there to my home is an altitude drop of 2300 ft. The trip out there under very similiar conditions (temps were lower by 20F) yielded 16.78mpg. I realize the tire pressures seem high but they are rated for it and my mileage suffers if I drop much below 45psi. Enough I can notice the difference anyway. There's my .02 worth.
Last edited by roadrunner on Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Don't mess with perfection. That is very respectable.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Can we please stop talking about our MPGs? I have been depressed enough with mine. Thinking about how that I could have spent the $400 that I would have saved if, the prices were this cheap 2 months ago when I went to Moab. :wink: :bonk:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Hey Reed! That just makes the "experience" all the more precious. At least you got to go. :wink: 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

Yeah Reed, what he said. :wink:
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

HenryJ wrote:Scangauge is only going to read what the PCM tells it. It will be the same as the speedometer.
The scangauge has a tire size setting. You can set it by the percentage the tires you are using are smaller or larger than the stock pcm setting. You can also verify it by gps as the scangauge gives a readout of mph while changing tire size so you can set it by mph on the highway as well. Makes the scangauge tool more accurate than the pcm.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You are correct. It can be calibrated. You did not mention that you had done that, or I missed it.
You can also alter the settings for the stock readout with a power programmer or custom flash of the PCM.

I tune mine with the HPPIII.

- ThunderII KE7CSK